IGNORED

Halloween 2021: Pumpkin Mischief

nanochess

Hi all.

Oops! I did it again...

Nothing like entering the Nosferatu's Castle to break things with your friendly neighborhood pumpkin.

You need to find the following items: Hammer, teeths, cat, scissors, magnet, computer, glue, horn, flower, and floppy disk.

Navigate rooms using the direction disc, once you find an object, just pass over it, but careful, you cannot leave any object until you find the right pair to do mischief. So maybe you want to explore first the castle.

However Nosferatu is aware of your invasion, and will try to find you, he is old enough to get stuck sometimes in the hidden doors of walls. But any touch of him will reduce your energy, until you are out of energy for further mischief.

Also there is a ghost (probably the old keeper of the castle), and it is faster than Nosferatu, and also can go through the walls!

Be careful, and happy mischief!

Enjoy it!

shot0002.gif

pumpkin2.rom

Edited by nanochess
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 8

Can't wait.  We all love what you do and can't thank you enough.

In an amazing coincidence, here I am on a Friday night, working on the code for my game.

And the code I am working on just so happens to be the enemy logic for my fixed shoot'em up Sasuke Vs. Commander.  It originally just ripped off your code from Pumpkin Master, but I am rewriting the logic to act like the original arcade game now that I understand how it works. I had to add some more complex behavior to give the enemy ninja more personality and move about a bit more randomly and chaoctically.  :)

I never would have gotten this far without your books and the advice from the community, so thanks again.

Can't wait to see this years Halloween game.  It has taken me most of this year to work on this 1 game....you problem coded you game in a day....haha

Edited by Mik's Arcade
  • Like 3

Man, this is great!  I only got 2 of the 5 pairs on my first try before getting so lost that the ghost finally whittled my health down to zero.  I'll have to break out the graph paper and map out the rooms.

I'm just curious, how long did it take you to make this?

This game is like having a masterclass on how to take a minimalist approach and create something fantastic. Very inspiring!

One silly little note:  Of course, a second play though would solve this, but it would be nice when you picked up the second item to make the pair, that the success screen actually shows what the two items are.  Otherwise, you don't really know what the second item was.  For example, the 2 pairs I got was with the GLUE and the SCISSORS, but don't know what the second item was for each of them because it never displayed it and I could not guess from the BITMAP...lol

As always, thank you for sharing this with us all. Not only is it super fun to play, but it is also a free lesson for us aspiring programmers. 

Edited by Mik's Arcade
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mik's Arcade said:

Man, this is great!  I only got 2 of the 5 pairs on my first try before getting so lost that the ghost finally whittled my health down to zero.  I'll have to break out the graph paper and map out the rooms.

This game is like having a masterclass on how to take a minimalist approach and create something fantastic. Very inspiring!

One silly little note:  Of course, a second play though would solve this, but it would be nice when you picked up the second item to make the pair, that the success screen actually shows what the two items are.  Otherwise, you don't really know what the second item was.  For example, the 2 pairs I got was with the GLUE and the SCISSORS, but don't know what the second item was for each of them because it never displayed it and I could not guess from the BITMAP...lol

As always, thank you for sharing this with us all. Not only is it super fun to play, but it is also a free lesson for us aspiring programmers. 

I actually was going to ask a similar question.

Is figuring out the pairs part of the puzzle?  Then perhaps a pictorial telling you what each one is would help.

Some of them are obvious, but those that match the scissors and glue were not. :dunce:

dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mik's Arcade said:

You'll need a new sheet each time because mazes are random.

The Wednesday I used two hours to draw and animate the pumpkin, then made some pre-designed rooms and made it to walk around.

And yesterday I worked 6 hours straight to complete the game.

So around 8 hours.

Thank you.

I was tired and running out of time. So I didn't made an extra code to put the descriptions above the graphics, but these are few so not a great deal (I think)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nanochess said:

You'll need a new sheet each time because mazes are random.

The Wednesday I used two hours to draw and animate the pumpkin, then made some pre-designed rooms and made it to walk around.

And yesterday I worked 6 hours straight to complete the game.

So around 8 hours.

Thank you.

I was tired and running out of time. So I didn't made an extra code to put the descriptions above the graphics, but these are few so not a great deal (I think)

wow.....8 hours.  that is amazing.  And rogue-like.....I thought that just the item placement was randomized 

and yeah, it is easy enough to figure out what the pairs are so it is not a big deal, but was merely a suggestion in the event you were thinking of polishing it up for the CIB version everyone seems to want,  :)

• Like 3