IGNORED

Tober's Nightmare (2600) - The Pumpkin Smashing Game!

mickmuze

Release version 0.3

This is mainly a bug fix release.

• Score should be working perfectly now
  • Hearts are slightly more frequent but are now worth 75 points
  • Adjusted the enemy and fire speeds slightly on both beginner and advanced difficulty
  • Enemies movement is more consistent. In v0.2 the enemies would seem to randomly speed up and slow down slightly. They were all sharing the same fractional portion of a fixed point variable for their speed. They all have their own variables for that now.
  • If you had all three hearts and got a heart it would take away a heart, this is now fixed.

Enjoy! Let me know if you come across anything else that seems off

• Like 4

Released version 0.4

These are the bugs I have found:

• If the player went into the house without grabbing the heart when it was on the screen and all the enemies were dead, the next level wouldn't load the second row of enemies. It would still be the heart in its place.
  • Say your pumpkin hit an enemy right below the 200 point mark. It would sometimes show you got the 200 points but only give you 150 points. It shows the correct amount now.
  • When you die you would still collect a heart while you are twirling to your grave lol. You would then have one heart but still get game over since the game over sequence was already set in motion. You could also collect hearts as you lost a life and twirled back to the house. Now you just can't collect hearts if you are twirling around for any reason ?
  • If the heart is on the screen when you get game over and you then start a new game, the heart would return on the screen instead of the second enemy
  • On real hardware I noticed the screen would jump during screen transitions from a black screen. This would not be that noticable except when the score was also on the screen after you get game over. The score would jump slightly.

Version 0.4 has all of the above fixed.

Edited by mickmuze
  • Like 3

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Tober's Nightmare on tomorrow's stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

(WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

• Like 3

On 11/8/2021 at 10:03 PM, mickmuze said:

There will be a PAL60 release once I’m happy with where the project stands

This may help if you've not looked into it yet. You'll basically set values for color names based on the setting of COMPILE_VERSION to NTSC or PAL. Then everywhere you use a color you add in the luma value.

So if your code was like this:

lda #$28 ; orange pumpkin
   sta COLUP0

you'd change it to this:

lda #ORANGE + 8
   sta COLUP0

When you build just change the setting of COMPILE_VERSION and you'll build with the appropriate colors.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, mickmuze said:

I wasn't aware of that way of doing it, thanks again SpiceWare!

You're welcome! For Medieval Mayhem I used the same COMPILE_VERSION to define constants for TIM64T so it would also output at 50 Hz for PAL.  

However, after seeing some reviews that weren't totally happy with the PAL version I released a PAL60 version.

It made people happy, so ever since I've done PAL60 versions of my games instead of 50 Hz PAL.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I’d like to fill the entire cart, there is about 1kb left, I think, the last I was working on it. Currently working on a small win game animation for game 1.

I’m hoping I am able to finish everything for a boxed release this Halloween. Got a lot of work ahead of me (I’d like to do all the box and manual design myself too, really enjoy that part).

thanks for your interest in it :)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mickmuze said:

I’m hoping I am able to finish everything for a boxed release this Halloween. Got a lot of work ahead of me (I’d like to do all the box and manual design myself too, really enjoy that part).

That would be great, especially if the Portland Retro Gaming Expo is close to Halloween this year.  :)

..Al

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
22 hours ago, Prizrak said:

This game came to mind today and just wanted to remind folks how awesome of a game this is. 

Thanks Prizrak :) glad you enjoy it

20 hours ago, Karl G said:

It is. By chance is it getting released at PRGE this year?

Unfortunately no, I had some personal events come up that kept me away from coding or anything enjoyable for the last two months. Things seem to be improving now though and I just began work on this project again. I’m excited to be able to get back into it however this break did set this back for Halloween this year :(

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, mickmuze said:

Unfortunately no, I had some personal events come up that kept me away from coding or anything enjoyable for the last two months. Things seem to be improving now though and I just began work on this project again. I’m excited to be able to get back into it however this break did set this back for Halloween this year :(

It happens, unfortunately. We can still play the current version this Halloween regardless. :-D 🎃 🧹 👻 🧟‍♂️ 

Just out of curiosity though, what is left to do with this game coding-wise? It seems pretty complete to me.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Karl G said:

Just out of curiosity though, what is left to do with this game coding-wise? It seems pretty complete to me.

So far I have already added an end boss and a little end game sequence for one of the game modes. I have also added a green flame that behaves much in the same vein as Evil Otto when the player runs out of pumpkins. Oh, and I added an Easter egg into the game.

I need to decide what I am going to do with the other two game modes exactly and actually do that as well lol. Probably nothing too crazy here, just one with an ending and one that goes on forever for high score purposes.. and maybe just a more difficult game mode?

I also plan on adjusting some of the later levels to make them more possible and fair. 

I’d like to add some sounds to the title screen, currently it is completely silent.

I’m running low on space but I do have some ideas on adding a new item, but this may be cut back depending on what I am able to pull off. I really hope I am able to get this idea in there though. I may try to rewrite things to fit this. We’ll see 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Edited by mickmuze
Fixed typo
  • Like 6