IGNORED

Problems with Paddles (and touch tablet XC77)

Marius

Hi all,

In my Stereo 800XL (Stereo upgrade Lotharek) I have a very odd problem. On the 800XL port 1, the Paddles, and the touchtablet have both x and y movement the same output.

So in a basic program:

10 PRINT PADDLE(0), PADDLE(1):RUN

The result of PADDLE(0) and PADDLE(1) are the same at the same time, no matter whether I turn the knob on the left OR right paddle. Both values increase and decrease at the same time. 

When I attach the same paddles to the 800XL port 2 and I change the basic program into this:

10 PRINT PADDLE(2), PADDLE(3):RUN

Then the problem does not occur, and both paddles result their own value separately.

So the question here is:

Who can test this for me on their 800XL with Stereo upgrade? 
The 800XL also has an Ultimate Upgrade with BIOS by @flashjazzcat but I can not imagine this has something to do with it.

Normally I would swap the pokeys, but this atari has been opened and closed so many times, that I am a bit cautious in doing. So if someone else can confirm that there is also a problem with the paddles (or touchtable) on their XL computer on PORT 1, I would be pleased to hear. 

It did not matter when I switched the Stereo to MONO setting.

Edited by Marius
typo

2 hours ago, Marius said:

So in a basic program:

10 PRINT PADDLE(0), PADDLE(1):RUN

The result of PADDLE(0) and PADDLE(1) are the same at the same time, no matter whether I turn the knob on the left OR right paddle. Both values increase and decrease at the same time. 

When I attach the same paddles to the 800XL port 2 and I change the basic program into this:

10 PRINT PADDLE(2), PADDLE(3):RUN

Then the problem does not occur, and both paddles result their own value separately.

Can you check, if there is (or not) a short between pins 14 and 15 on the main POKEY chip?