IGNORED

Most ahead of its time game

Can't believe I'm saying this, but perhaps super mario bros for the nes. Platformers existed before, but I dont think they were the same level of fun before smb1 and it defined the genre forevermore. We still have people to this day trying to cram out those last few frame skips of what is a technically quite amazing job they did at the time with nes hardware. Now I love to poop on Nintendo hardware (except the financial failure ones I love but nobody else did) but what they did with smb1 was amazing. I think about all the side scrolling games that have come since, even if they aren't strictly Platformers (looking at you gunstar heroes and metal slug) and see where the influence of how to do the game has come from. 

Ghosts and goblins came out a few months before, and it's a great game, but I don't think it gets the same level of credit which is a super shame, so perhaps that should get the credit over smb1. 

• Like 6

Home Consoles only?  Space Invaders for the 2600 and how about Pitfall.

The first voice games.  World Series MLS for the Intellivision  Using Camera Angles!

Utopia

In the Arcade it is hard say.  Pong of course.  But what amazed me BITD where games like Moon Patrol with the scrolling and Pole Position.

The first vector graphic games and though I loath it, Dragon's Lair -first laser disc game.

People my age or older remember the real ground breaking games. ( in our opinions )

Younger than me might say MMO's or the photo realistic graphic games etc.

This is kind of subjective.  We have technical break through and popularity break through.  PAC MAN FEVER!  etc.

But this is a great topic and I look forward to reading what others think about this!

• Like 1

Alien Resurrection on the PS1. It was the first game to use the twin-stick method of control that is universally standard now in first person games. Gamespot savaged the control scheme in their review:

"The game's control setup is its most terrifying element," reads GameSpot's 4.7 out of 10 review. "The left analog stick moves you forward, back, and strafes right and left, while the right analog stick turns you and can be used to look up and down. Too often, you'll turn to face a foe and find that your weapon is aimed at the floor or ceiling while the alien gleefully hacks away at your midsection. Add to the mix a few other head scratchers - such as how the triangle button controls item and health use - and you'll be wondering how Sony let this get by without requesting a few different control configuration options."

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-09-09-the-making-of-alien-resurrection-for-psone

• Haha 6

To be fair to the review, they don't seems to mind the whole scheme but how it's implemented. And having played a fair share of PS1 and N64 games, BITD the camera controls were anything but smooth and responsive, so you would indeed struggle to aim at the ennemy. Most of the time it feel like trying to aim a 15 tons cannon stuck in jello. Especially annoying is that there weren't usually any key to "zero" your aim, and when struggling to aim up or down you'd usually overshoot your target.

Just because they did it first doesn't meant they did it RIGHT ?

And triangle as the use item button? Yep, that a fairly odd choice.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, electricmastro said:

Sprite-scaling game from 1975:

I think we have a "winner" here, since the thread is not just about groundbreaking games but games that were too ahead of their time (at least that's how I understood it).

Apparently, this game was made by Space Invaders' creator, and the fact that Space Invaders is a lot more famous (and considered as the game that "created" the Japanese industry of video games) shows that clearly, this one has been made far too soon. Of course it doesn't mean Space Invaders is less fun, it's probably not the case, but it's objectively more "advanced" as a shoot 'em up.

• Like 3

I can't believe I forgot Sakura Taisen, but I did, so I'll mention it now.

Sakura Taisen.

11 hours ago, teh_lurv said:

Alien Resurrection on the PS1. It was the first game to use the twin-stick method of control that is universally standard now in first person games. Gamespot savaged the control scheme in their review:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-09-09-the-making-of-alien-resurrection-for-psone

Medal of Honor had that control scheme a year earlier, but it was optional. I think it was controller layout #4 or something, but it's been a while.

2 hours ago, electricmastro said:

1983 3D polygon game:

I thought of this game, but I can never remember its name and I was too lazy to research it lol

• Like 1

On 10/31/2021 at 8:10 PM, 1980gamer said:

Home Consoles only?

Nope! I opened this in Classic Gaming simply because Atari Age doesn't allow multi-forum threads. I would have liked to extend it to Classic Computing too (and, of course, Arcade). Classic Gaming includes handhelds, by the way.

I'm seeing some great games being brought up and some of them I didn't know about, keep them coming!

• Like 2