IGNORED

Forem XE Pro Version 6.0 Is Now Out

rcamp48

Thank you. I do enough hard work in setting up this BBS program, and now that I have the Basic XE book, I can do something about it, I was actually hoping that some of you could work with me on it instead of joking around, it basically sends an ATA to the connecting computer, I think that the modem is turned on before it receives a call. I for one would like to see this work, I may go the route of an 850 interface and my wifi adapter, Fujinet iis simply just not reliable enough for huge transfers of files, I keep getting error number 143 when copying all the files to a new disk. Russ

Hard to help when you keep saying on AA and Facebook, it's done, it's working, and releasing version after version without having a final.

Just work on it and release it once you have tested and confirmed a working version. This is how we release final product and why we only release final product. 

At one point you wrote you wanted to charge for the effort. I figured if you wanted to monetize this you had a stable version. 

Anyone who wants to run a BBS - goto southernamis.com as on the website are plenty of working versions of the Atari A8 bbs's. No Charge..

• Like 3

3 hours ago, tep392 said:

That's enough guys.  If you want to joke around, start a new topic for it.  If you keep making off topic posts here, they will be removed and you will be booted from this thread.

No problem. We were just having fun with the misleading topic.  The topic of this thread and the first few messages suggest that the software is released and working. But after a few of us tried it, we realize that it has missing files and does not work at all.  After some of us started to question it, @rcamp48 finally admitted that the software is not working. It would have been a better use of everyone's time if @rcamp48 would just be upfront with everyone and say, "Here's this software I am trying to get working. Can someone help?"  But instead, he posts half baked software in messages that state "it's released and working". He regularly makes these type of posts here and on Facebook.

Moving forward, I hope @rcamp48 is more forthcoming on the state of his software that he posts here.

-JP

• Like 2

I'm still trying to figure out what is supposed to be changed to great enough effect to call it a whole new revision of FoRem XE Pro in any event?

It's quite true that what is presented is incomplete and not working.

The topic label is quite odd as you actually look at what is done and what is said. Odd very odd.

Edited by _The Doctor__

You guys are riight, itr is unfinished, and I should have said from the beginning that it was missing one file, if some of you could look at what I have and figure out why it is only connecting one way, I would be greatful, I will do the same , basically I will go through the basic code and find the missing file. Also I might see what the difference is between forem 2.6 and forem xe pro, forem 2.6 works.

2 minutes ago, rcamp48 said:

You guys are riight, itr is unfinished, and I should have said from the beginning that it was missing one file, if some of you could look at what I have and figure out why it is only connecting one way, I would be greatful, I will do the same , basically I will go through the basic code and find the missing file. Also I might see what the difference is between forem 2.6 and forem xe pro, forem 2.6 works.

What the name of the missing file? 

4 minutes ago, moonlight_mile said:

Speaking of monetizing FoReM. Does anyone know how much any of the FoReM’s cost when they came out? I looked through archive.org for articles or adverts but came up with nothing.

Because it was free... Always... But donations accepted..

I wanna say we paid $39.95 for Forem XE around 1985... but then I CRS...

It was definitely not free.

I was pretty sure it was commercial but there were a lot of copies freely shared.

Could it have been as high as $70? I think there was an add for Gardner bbs at that price I saw somewhere. But even back then I never saw an ad or even where to get it if I wanted to buy a copy.

26 minutes ago, JohnPolka said:

Wasn't FoReM ST commercial?

-JP

At:  http://software.bbsdocumentary.com/ATARI/ST/FOREMST/announce.txt

Found this:

===============================
                       F O R E M   B B S   N E W S
                     ===============================

Effective immediately Full Moon BBS is now your source for the FoReM
 BBS program by Matthew R. Singer.  FoReM is not new, it has been in use
 all over the free world since 1985.  Available in single line versions
 for the Atari ST (one meg RAM recommended) and the IBM PC (512 K
 required).  FoReM may be purchased directly from Full Moon for $74.95
 plus $5.00 for shipping and handling.  All orders are shipped with a
 manual that includes detailed instructions on installing and configuring
 FoReM.

When used in conjunction with the FNET mailer program by David Chiquelin
 (a shareware program supported at Atari-Oh! BBS 713-480-9310) either
 version of FoReM can be used to exchange messages with other BBS Systems
 worldwide.

You can order FoReM ST or PC by sending a check for $79.95 ($74.95 for
 the program plus $5.00 S&H) made payable to:

Stephen Rider
                              20 Cargill Ave
                            Worcester MA 01610

Orders are shipped UPS only, specify a street address as UPS cannot
 deliver to a Post Office box number.

For ST orders specify single sided or double sided diskette.  PC owners
 please specify 360K or 1.2 meg 5.25" or 720K 3.5" disks.  Depending on
 the media you order we will also include some useful PD or shareware
 utility programs that are widely used by FoReM boards.

Steve Rider
                                                  Full Moon BBS
                                                  508-752-1348

This offer is made in conjunction with Matthew R. Singer, creator and
 copyright holder of FoReM ST.  Offer not valid in Massachusetts.  (c)
 1985-1990 Matthew R. Singer

HTH's.   :)

38 minutes ago, DarkLord said:

At:  http://software.bbsdocumentary.com/ATARI/ST/FOREMST/announce.txt

Found this:

You can order FoReM ST or PC by sending a check for $79.95 ($74.95 for
 the program plus $5.00 S&H) made payable to:

Stephen Rider
                              20 Cargill Ave
                            Worcester MA 01610

At that price, I would have demanded that they allowed 'R' to be used for replying to messages!  ;-)

-JP

Edited by JohnPolka
  • Haha 2

It seems to me that I am loading atr850 which emulates an 850 interface? I think that the Fujinet already has an rs232 interface in it and the atr850 is not needed? Maybe thats part of my problem, as I used it in Alterra but I dson't think it is necessary in the Fujinet, considering I have it listening for port number 1985, anyone know anything about this? Also I have physical disks available for Forem XE Professional if anyone wants physical disks (I wiped out a bunch of binary games to make them, since I have them all on my Fujinet).

Doc , I don't really, so that atr850 is part of my problem, I was thinking so... I have new images for Forem XE Professional, I have copied from the disks to the Fujinet, and am copying back from the Fujinet to side two of each disk just to make sure that the images work. Seems to be that I get lots of error number 143s on images that are bigger than double density single sided in Spartados. One question Doc, I am getting an U1MB board in a few days am I better off to put it in my 800xl and keep the 130 XE semi stock? Or put it in the 130 XE?

if the 800XL is still 64k, I'd put U1M in the 800XL...

the 850 and fujinet both respond to the same poll request so only one can be on at a time. they both respond to the polling and send their handler to the Atari. If you are not hearing the handler load from either device then you have an issue. If you hear the beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep then the handler is loading. That is how that works... using an RBIN would not SIO load the handler and there would be no beep... an RBIN would still have the handler in it's code as well as directly control an 850. You would still hear the 850 make noise through SIO as it switches modes and usually you will hear it in use... it's noise and clicks correspond to the selected baud rate to a degree.

You would have to post whatever file you are using for handler installation if you want people to check it and make sure it's what you think it is. You have other issues going on if you are seeing error 143's. check your cords and make sure fujinet is firmly connected to a good sio cord, often the fujinet fail a direct sio insertion on earlier fujinets.

Edited by _The Doctor__