IGNORED

Forem XE Pro Version 6.0 Is Now Out

rcamp48

OK here is the problem with Forem XE Professional, in the install manual it says it is looking for a 9600 baud modem, I was running amp850, which is 2400 max, you should be running amp9600, the rlisten program, and rs232, I am still testing it but in the PERM folder once of the files is corrupted even on my master disks, one I retrieve that file and restore it I *should* have a working copy, mind you there still will be one file missing but it will work OK

OK here is the problem with Forem XE Professional, in the install manual it says it is looking for a 9600 baud modem, I was running amp850, which is 2400 max, you should be running amp9600, the rlisten program, and rs232, I am still testing it but in the PERM folder once of the files is corrupted even on my master disks, one I retrieve that file and restore it I *should* have a working copy, mind you there still will be one file missing but it will work OK

Since you seem to be picking up the baton on f-xep. I would suggest you document all your changes and create a true install document for it. I fooled with XEP a number of times over the years. Never really getting it to a point where it would run. Each time I would pick it back up I would discover another file that I was missing which prevented the running of the program.

I really think the community would benefit from a thorough install document. At least I know I would have.

I attempted to make a "BBS on a Stick" version of FXEP 5.4 back in 2008 when I was doing all of my 'stick' projects.  I had it running somewhat but some of the menu commands would not execute correctly in the emulator.  I abandoned it for this reason although I know I still have the original project files... somewhere.  I know it was running correctly, because it ran great on a real machine.  @_The Doctor__ I am somewhat sure the fully running BBS can be found on one of those ST-251 HDs you got from me... (maybe).  It would be on the 2nd partition.  It was internet accessible thru my APE box.

Ahh but the more I think about it, the more I think I might have run that one the IDEPlus 2 on a SD card... which is still here. 

Sorry... The mind is a terrible thing to format.  Formatting starts at age 65...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, bf2k+ said:

I attempted to make a "BBS on a Stick" version of FXEP 5.4 back in 2008 when I was doing all of my 'stick' projects.  I had it running somewhat but some of the menu commands would not execute correctly in the emulator.  I abandoned it for this reason although I know I still have the original project files... somewhere.  I know it was running correctly, because it ran great on a real machine.  @_The Doctor__ I am somewhat sure the fully running BBS can be found on one of those ST-251 HDs you got from me... (maybe).  It would be on the 2nd partition.  It was internet accessible thru my APE box.

Ahh but the more I think about it, the more I think I might have run that one the IDEPlus 2 on a SD card... which is still here. 

Sorry... The mind is a terrible thing to format.  Formatting starts at age 65...

It would be worth trying it on a current version of Altirra.  Perhaps some of those problems you saw with an emulator back then no longer exist in  a current version of an emulator.

-JP

Part of the problem with these various versions, The last released version, 5.4, saw TWO versions of AMP, one for the SIO modem interfaces, the other for the PBI interfaces. 

AMP9600 is for a MIO - @JohnPolka confirm this if you are aware of the same. 

MIO emulation is not available on the FujiNet - Only the 850 

Also - still waiting to hear what file is missing so I can provide you with the file. Now it appears you have another corrupt file. Let us know what you need..

I was having problems with the files in the perm directory, but I got it fixed, right now I am working on copying all files to floppies in DD, I have disks one , two and three, and all of the subdirectories on double density disks, the problem comes when you go anything higher than double density single sided on the fujinet, I may rewrite it to store all of the data files on drive 2, instead of drive one , I cannot get anything bigger than 180 K disks to read properly on my Fujinet, so I will probably use all 8 180 K disks on the fujinet, and compensate for that.

I will post the 180 K files as soon as I write them as workable atrs.

Russ

2 hours ago, rcamp48 said:

I am recreating a whole new atr disk from scratch, I am copying all of the floppies to disc one, should have a working BBS by midnight muy time trying double density double sided disks

Russ

Here is the new setup disk, I think I have everything in it , really compact set it up as drive 1 and create a 720 K disk in drive 2 then boot from drive 1 on Fujinet or side 3 or sio2sd. , it should set up things pretty well as last time , but only uses one disk as the master. Here is the file:    I have to recreate the file properly from my floppy disks , they are all good.

It has not been tested on my Fujinet but should work OK. , Let me know if it does not work or has any problems.  Russ

Edited by rcamp48
Bad file, 360 K with 720 K written to it
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, rcamp48 said:

Here is the new setup disk, I think I have everything in it , really compact set it up as drive 1 and create a 720 K disk in drive 2 then boot from drive 1 on Fujinet or side 3 or sio2sd. , it should set up things pretty well as last time , but only uses one disk as the master. Here is the file:    I have to recreate the file properly from my floppy disks , they are all good.

It has not been tested on my Fujinet but should work OK. , Let me know if it does not work or has any problems.  Russ

Quoting for the lolz - no file attached :)  Another "working" version.

Here is the startup disk and it creates a BBS that has no files missing but it still will not connect.

Forem XE Newly Created Master.atr, check it out all files are there....  You need to create a 720K program disk for d2:Forem_Xe_Program.atr

and a 720 K data disk for drive 3:Forem_data_1.atr

OK the forem xe program is complete but for some reason does not log on, does not yet work

Edited by rcamp48

only one device I know of can't handle the ATA command correctly.. you know the command that answers a call even if autoanswer isn't set...

well... that just might be a problem since just about all modems work that way or have a similar command... so if all else fails use something up to the task like APE, Cygwin, lantronix, pearle, etc... they all work correctly and get along with all of the serial interface devices be they sio2pc cable, Rverter, 850, P:R:, MIO, Black Box etc etc...

• Like 1

I am now using Forem 2.6M from AMIS,I will customize it and put it online tonight, but I have things to work on until then, I just had one of the two add-on switches in my 130 XE that blocked the Fujinet from plugging in , they are both away from the SIO plug so I can now plug my Fujinet directly into my 130 XE. AS for upgrades I am going with the 800xl, one question: I have the worse keyboard on it (I believe a Mitsumi keyboard, are they replaceable with a better keyboard or am I stuck with that clunky Mitsumi keyboard ??).

Russ

• 2 months later...
On 11/9/2021 at 6:16 PM, rcamp48 said:

it was a bad file, it will be up in a few minutes, this is not a working BBS just the setup disk

Just so we can close this thread out... Single Disk, Altirra, FujiNet, Modem... No version 6.0 No 15 ATR's, just Forem XE pro 5.4 Running at foremxepro.ddns.net port 9001

• Like 4