IGNORED

Starting Atari 2600 collection from scratch, follow my progress :)

Crazy Climber

1 hour ago, Nathan Strum said:

I'm watching to see where you end up once you've spent $2600. ;) 

Ha! I should have titled the topic that  "...how many 2600 games can I get for $2600"

14 minutes ago, Atari_Bill said:

I agree about Panda titles.  Possibly the ugliest carts in existence.  I’ve never made them a priority so I still need a few myself.  

I can understand not liking the cost of the Sears picture labels, but personally, that’s my absolute favorite subset that I have.  I have them all and if it weren’t for stupid Math Gran Prix, they would all be boxed.  

Yeah Panda...they are unique enough that I like them...but just barely lol. Many of them seem to hover in that annoying $30 to $50 price range too which makes them a hard sale for me personally. I can take them or leave them but they're probably a good 10% of my wanted list now so I guess... haha

Sears variants must have gained a lot of popularity the last decade, I was chatting with Ballblazer quite a bit about them and some of the prices shocked me lol. I never had Gunslinger or Superman, they were always rare, but pretty sure I had all the rest (loose) I know I sold Sears Basketball lumped as a common when I cashed out, I didn't ask much more for baseball either IIRC... The high price is part of it but they didn't look right in my set up either.

I basically just mixed them in with the atari pic labels and it was starting to look too cluttered for me. Glad I figured it out before I got in too deep though :)

5 hours ago, AtariAger said:

I was just thinking about, RAD.

On October 14th last year…I brought my kids to the 35th Anniversary showing of, RAD.  One show…One night…7:00pm.

Never understood the movie..???  You have Cru riding a Mongoose the entire movie…then winds up on a Team Murray at Helltrack..!?!?!  All the while Mongoose are the, “Bad Guys”.  Don’t get me wrong…I love it.  Own the VHS, Laser Disc, Vinyl sound track, cassette sound track…all the new dvd this and that stuff and an original movie poster.

I also purchased Bill Allen’s one of a kind prototype bike back in the summer of 2019.

Holy Schnikes! I missed this post...

Yeah, you are DEFINITELY a hardcore BMX collector man! NICE!!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Crazy Climber said:

Holy Schnikes! I missed this post...

Yeah, you are DEFINITELY a hardcore BMX collector man! NICE!!

Nah…as always…right place…right time.

The same time time that everyone was hunting Atari games on eBay…I happened to pop in a search on old Mongoose BMX bikes.  Complete bikes with all the fixings…the shipping was next to nothing.

Old School BMX is…well…throw your old stuff up and see for yourselves.

I just happen to have a good eye…

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AtariAger said:

Talking with Bill Allen was fun…but just like anything else…

I don't know if you're into the arcade/pinball scene but there is a classic (and current) game designer, John Borg (Star Wars, Jurassic park, many others) that is a BMX freak. He's got some NICE collector bikes and still rides...and he's damn good too (I mean, dudes not a young kid, just saying, you won't catch me flying 20 feet in the air like he does anymore!!) I've chatted with him several times, super nice guy.

6 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

I don't know...I kind of like it.?  It's been fun following your progress. 

I'll admit, back in the day I thought they were cool looking because they were so different. I mainly hate them now because they stack so horribly on my shelf. 

My original plan was to get 6 or 7 music mate cubes soley for M network games and hang them vertically on the wall next to my shelves...but, I used to be able to get MM cubes from atari2600.com in a nearly endless supply (he had HUNDREDS in stock) for $4 each.  Now people want some really money for them and thats money I'd rather put towards games ? 

Dark Cavern I'm probably the most nostalgic for. It was one of the only games my friend had (that I didn't already own, I had a lot of games lol) so we played it a LOT every time I came over. 

Kool Aid man is the other one I remember well. Yeah, the game play is so so but I just thought it was the coolest thing ever that I bought it at the local "IGA" grocery store. They never had atari stuff, and atari was definitely past its prime at this point...but one day an end cap bin full of kool aid mans was there priced at the more than reasonable $5 each (later discounted to $3 IIRC) 

Thanks for following and I'm not done yet! More on the way ? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Crazy Climber said:

Kool Aid man is the other one I remember well. Yeah, the game play is so so but I just thought it was the coolest thing ever that I bought it at the local "IGA" grocery store. They never had atari stuff, and atari was definitely past its prime at this point...but one day an end cap bin full of kool aid mans was there priced at the more than reasonable $5 each (later discounted to $3 IIRC) 

I ordered Kool-Aid Man through the mail (with my proof of Kool-Aid purchases) but remember buying a couple of games at the grocery store (which I think was also IGA) for $5. I distinctly remember buying Gopher and later discovering that US Games was a subsidiary of Quaker Oats. I believe I bought Bank Heist at the same store.

I've also enjoyed following this thread. It's been fun to watch you build your collection and it has unlocked some old memories. Thanks!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Crazy Climber said:

Kool Aid man is the other one I remember well. “Oh Yeah,” the game play is so so but I just thought it was the coolest thing ever that I bought it at the local "IGA" grocery store.

Fixed it for you.

I must be the only person who doesn’t care for Dark Cavern. It was an ok game, but I seem to remember being able to trick the AI and play for an infinite amount of time. I believe the tactic was just moving up/down after firing just above the wall so your shot hits the enemy and it can only return fire into the wall. (Maybe I was playing on an easy difficulty though? Does Dark Cavern support difficulty switches or have game options?)

Edited by CapitanClassic
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, CapitanClassic said:

must be the only person who doesn’t care for Dark Cavern. It was an ok game, but I seem to remember being able to trick the AI and play for an infinite amount of time. I believe the tactic was just moving up/down after firing just above the wall so your shot hits the enemy and it can only return fire into the wall. (Maybe I was playing on an easy difficulty though? Does Dark Cavern support difficulty switches or have game options?

There are difficulty settings.  Setting on A (hard) gives 4 two-headed enemy robots instead of 1-headed and they regenerate very quickly when killed. We played Dark Cavern in HSC season 11 week 8 (last season) on A setting and no one was close to rolling the score.  In fact probably unplayable at a point.   I enjoyed it quite a bit on that setting.  I could see that using the B setting could be easy.

Edited by AtariSphinx
Updated wording
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, cvga said:

I ordered Kool-Aid Man through the mail (with my proof of Kool-Aid purchases) but remember buying a couple of games at the grocery store (which I think was also IGA) for $5. I distinctly remember buying Gopher and later discovering that US Games was a subsidiary of Quaker Oats. I believe I bought Bank Heist at the same store.

I've also enjoyed following this thread. It's been fun to watch you build your collection and it has unlocked some old memories. Thanks!

Thanks man!

Yeah, Kool Aid Man is the only game I ever remember seeing there but I'll ask my friend if he remembers anymore. He was the one that came running to my house to tell me and was pretty excited about it haha. Kind of strange they had Bank Heist...wonder what the story on that one is.

I remember the mail away thing, surprised I never did it since my Dad still to this day gets anything he can from cereal boxes/etc (He literally just gave me a Boba Fett pen he got from some offer/etc) Half of my wardrobe in high school was from Marlboro miles and camel cash lol. We did do the activision patch thing though of course :)

9 hours ago, CapitanClassic said:

I must be the only person who doesn’t care for Dark Cavern.

I'll have to play it again, aside from a quick 5 min game here and there I haven't sat down a PLAYED it in decades... I remember really liking it, but I was also 10 years old haha

• Like 3

In Dark Cavern, remember killing ALL of the robots onscreen (once there's 4 of them I think it is), Before they replenish will get you a free guy.  Also bullets are limited (Plentiful to a point,  if you collect a lot at first before you start your war,  and IIRC limited to 99),  and on later levels the bullets (represented by the gun ya pick up) appear and then disappear quicker...So it's avoiding being shot, maze wandering plus bullet management, plus going on the offensive...IDK,  For me, it's just one of those all time favorite games I can pick up and play at any time.  My head could be on fire, I could still play Dark Cavern.  

(Though...Yeah, I'd probably put the fire out first LOL)

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

In Dark Cavern, remember killing ALL of the robots onscreen (once there's 4 of them I think it is), Before they replenish will get you a free guy.  Also bullets are limited (Plentiful to a point,  if you collect a lot at first before you start your war,  and IIRC limited to 99),  and on later levels the bullets (represented by the gun ya pick up) appear and then disappear quicker...So it's avoiding being shot, maze wandering plus bullet management, plus going on the offensive...IDK,  For me, it's just one of those all time favorite games I can pick up and play at any time.  My head could be on fire, I could still play Dark Cavern.  

(Though...Yeah, I'd probably put the fire out first LOL)

I need to play Dark Cavern. I thought it was a clone of Night Stalker on the Intellivision. IIRC, you received 6 bullets when you picked up a gun in Night Stalker and a new gun didn't appear until you used the last bullet. Therefore, the maximum number of bullets you could have at any point in time was 6. I'd like a version that allowed me to pick them up and accumulate up to 99 much better. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, cvga said:

I need to play Dark Cavern. I thought it was a clone of Night Stalker on the Intellivision. IIRC, you received 6 bullets when you picked up a gun in Night Stalker and a new gun didn't appear until you used the last bullet. Therefore, the maximum number of bullets you could have at any point in time was 6. I'd like a version that allowed me to pick them up and accumulate up to 99 much better. 

I've not played Night Stalker actually,  but I do have Dungeon Stalker on the 7800, which is similar...And for me, the  play mechanic is better on Dark Cavern, in that you collect bullets 10 at a time and they accumulate.  This allows you to start off,  If you so desire,  by collecting bullets while avoiding getting shot and then when you've collected enough, going to town on the robots.   I like to collect 50-70 bullets, or sometimes collect bullets until I lose a life...And then,  It's on!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

bullet management

Agreed.  Bullet management is key to getting a high score as they are limited especially later on.  I like your strategy of loading up early as picking up bullets later is much harder.  Will give a shot (no pun intended) to see if can beat my previous high.

• Like 3

Collection Update!

I know I said I was taking a little break to "let em bake" as Keetah put it but when fellow AA member @TAV comes through with yet another amazing deal its too hard to wait ? Besides, I had a little PayPal burning a hole in my pocket so why not! 

Got the following 15 games for $348 shipped, take a good look at the pic though...some really nice stuff in there! The boxes/manuals weren't even part of the deal, he threw them in for FREE! What a guy, thank you!!!

20220120_160053.thumb.jpg.6da1793cbd96a9329b5a59ffff322f3a.jpg

Buying this lot saved me a lot of hassle tracking them down individually, not to mention the price was great! I never would have scored these at this price individually so had to do one more bulk lot before I chill for a bit ? 

So where do these new games put me?

Imagic collection almost done, just need Subterreanea...

20220120_160238.thumb.jpg.d38ce3d806c39af8be8d6429f9be054a.jpg

Activision Blue is done unless a Skiing falls in my lap (I'm sure as hell not paying $80 for it!)

20220120_160528.thumb.jpg.d5e06d5d3b8ec9b60a1fead703fc2998.jpg

FROGGO IS COMPLETED!!!

20220120_160750.thumb.jpg.6bdfa12d12dfc93bc739b64032fd055c.jpg

Just need Moto and Ikari and my reds are done. Something tells me I'm going to have to buy them boxed. If I get bored I might track down a few of the PAL exclusives...ohhh Red BMX airmaster too (PAL of course)

20220120_160836.thumb.jpg.ad71a47d06b6f3342830bdbbcb704ce4.jpg

Xonox collection is looking STRONG! I'm gunning for all of these, I like Xonox (Random fact, I actually used to work in their old building, they were no longer xonox though and sadly no atari games were left behind...I checked!! Haha) 

20220120_163610.thumb.jpg.caa105fbde70dc27cceb9eb8f2a9621e.jpg

Just need Qubes and PB is done!! I've got a spot saved for it ? 

20220120_160724.thumb.jpg.3fc59e40b55a9c84dada63f1da9866c7.jpg

Down to rubiks and asteroids for the silvers. Neither of which are a huge priority I guess. I don't think I'm going for Quadrun this time around...

20220120_161557.thumb.jpg.8707d3242793c9884c0ce694eadc1c4d.jpg

Now some of you with a keen eye may have noticed a few atari games NOT on my wanted list, but not in my collection pics either (until today) well that would be these...

20220120_161440.thumb.jpg.e06bffd562b421d3c862e104b4f93b39.jpg

These aren't my games, I'm storing them for someone...but, if they decide to sell someday, I'm buying them! I don't want to buy others as long as these are here (and I might have option to buy these some day) So figured might as well put them in my collection for now haha. I'm not counting these on my games total though since they are not mine! Just placeholders at this point ;)

And of course a shot of the full collection. This is the view from my bed...staring at my games at night is starting to become part of my nightly routine. Hope I don't turn into a dragon sitting on top of plastic squares...

20220120_164312.thumb.jpg.bf0329c89c52ecb33ee905a45c115da9.jpg

Current collection - 473 games

Total invested - $2364

20220120_165538.thumb.jpg.df403d8d04861336a9d048619dec650f.jpg

20220120_165525.thumb.jpg.1788b082870987c3b3d2354d3f6e4501.jpg

Edited by Crazy Climber
  • Like 9

6 hours ago, high voltage said:

Wow, amazing....No Imagic:  Wing War and Solar Storm?

Uh Oh! I am SURE I bought Solar Storm...hope I didn't accidentally sell it in my doubles... I'll have to look around.

Wing War...I don't know yet. It's a PAL exclusive as far as I know. If one falls in my lap, sure, but otherwise I'm not actively hunting one, kind of like the White Label Space Shuttle, just not a priority I guess :)

1 hour ago, Crazy Climber said:

Uh Oh! I am SURE I bought Solar Storm...hope I didn't accidentally sell it in my doubles... I'll have to look around.

This is a really fun shooter and its a paddle game.  You can never have too many paddle games.

Solar Storm.jpg

• Like 2