IGNORED

Starting Atari 2600 collection from scratch, follow my progress :)

Crazy Climber

11 hours ago, roadrunner said:

350. Tanks But No Tanks / Tank Brigade by Panda / Phantom Tank by Bit Corp

355. Cruise Missile / Exocet by Panda

357. Sea Hawk / Sea Hawk by Panda

090. Sky Diver / Dare Diver

092. Space War / Space Combat

002. Air Sea Battle / Target Fun

006. Atari Video Cube / Rubik's Cube

010. Basic Math / Fun with Numbers

046. Hangman / Spelling

047. Human Cannonball / Cannon Man

050. Home Run / Baseball

054. Indy 500 / Race

058. Maze Craze / Maze Mania

062. Miniature Golf / Arcade Golf

I count these as different carts :) 

I agree 100% on this. If the end label says a different name, Im collecting it! 

8 hours ago, Atari_Bill said:

Wow, were those Commavid boxes real?  Those are some heavyweights!

As an aside, I’m in the middle of selling off my extra stock compiled over 25+ years.  I haven’t got to post the 2600 stuff yet, but I will have some pretty decent pieces in there. No 9 rarities, but there could be some 7-8. 

The video life is a reproduction. Magicard box is also a repro of course (I think magicard originally came in a zip lock bag lol) The stronghold was directly from the legendary Commavid basement. It had water damage on the backside making it more affordable (one side perfect, one side trashed lol) I believe I bought it from forum member Ianoid for a great price and sold to forum member toymailman even cheaper haha.. The cakewalk was MINT, probably a high 9 out of 10. Got that at the 2005 MGC show, was blown away a game like that was for sale there. Its somewhere in Australia now, or at least was...

Sending you a PM on the atari stuff. I'm actually more interested in R8 and below than the super rare stuff right now. Would be great to get a big lot and fill some holes in the collection! :)

• Like 1

35 games for $35 shipped? Sure, I'll do that!

This was an ebay lot, said "estate sale find - untested" so I threw an offer and they accepted. I only needed 18 of them, but also upgraded some of my ratty copies. Highlights would be the Pitfall 2 and adventure text label ? 

Current collection - 123 games

Total investment - $243 

20211106_144955.thumb.jpg.254d69255deb484d84f596af4464f3a4.jpg

And a shot of all 123 together...

20211106_150334.thumb.jpg.1f5a24dba0ee395f3548d41ed9255ece.jpg

Trade pile is growing....

20211106_150102.thumb.jpg.d26baa053a36bac4c83a6ee16136eb46.jpg

More coming soon!! 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AtariSphinx said:

Cool idea for a thread.   Will follow. 

It's interesting that many of us have a harmony cart and have may ways to play these games yet still want the actual carts, myself included.   I just have not figured out why I am collecting them yet but I continue to.

It's so you can build a robotic cartridge handler and watch it insert the physical cartridge into the console when you select the game from a menu screen. Obviously.

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, AtariSphinx said:

Cool idea for a thread.   Will follow. 

It's interesting that many of us have a harmony cart and have may ways to play these games yet still want the actual carts, myself included.   I just have not figured out why I am collecting them yet but I continue to.

Thanks man!

Yeah, flash carts is inevitably what killed cart collecting for me. Definitely for NES, I still did/do atari homebrews though.

I had around 600 NES games at one point, if only I would have waited until now to sell them, probably would pay the rest of my house off! 

As for why I want to collect them...the thrill of the hunt? Not to mention they look bad ass on teh shelf haha

28 minutes ago, BigO said:

It's so you can build a robotic cartridge handler and watch it insert the physical cartridge into the console when you select the game from a menu screen. Obviously.

This is surprisingly accurate!

Edited by Crazy Climber
forgot something
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BigO said:

Haha..  I many times look at my shelf to see what game I want to play then select it on the harmony cart ?

56 minutes ago, Crazy Climber said:

As for why I want to collect them...the thrill of the hunt? Not to mention they look bad ass on teh shelf

True!  Also I tend to play more the games I do have.  Best of luck in your search!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AtariSphinx said:

Haha..  I many times look at my shelf to see what game I want to play then select it on the harmony cart ?

True!  Also I tend to play more the games I do have.  Best of luck in your search!

I totally get that....kind of funny, now that you mention it I've actually kind of been doing it that same way now haha.

Yeah, If I don't have a game in mind and just randomly scroll the harmony menu it can get overwhelming real fast. Just sooooo many choices!! When I get a new game it's like "Oh yeah...GORF! I wanna play that one" etc..

• Like 2

Having done both the wall of cartridges and folder full of 10,000 roms, overwhelmage happens when there's too much fluff. Or just plain-ol' "too much."

With Harmony/Stella it works better if you curate a list down to say 100 carts or separate them by manufacturer. I like sorting them by mfg. because that's how they're differentiated in the real world - cartridge style and game style. Activision games are distinctly different from Atari games which contrast against M-Network or Imagic.

And besides, that's how I remember them as a kid bitd.

• Like 3

On 11/6/2021 at 4:59 PM, Crazy Climber said:

35 games for $35 shipped? Sure, I'll do that!

This was an ebay lot, said "estate sale find - untested" so I threw an offer and they accepted. I only needed 18 of them, but also upgraded some of my ratty copies. Highlights would be the Pitfall 2 and adventure text label ? 

Current collection - 123 games

Total investment - $243 

Trade pile is growing....

20211106_150102.thumb.jpg.d26baa053a36bac4c83a6ee16136eb46.jpg

More coming soon!! 

You, Sir, officially own a Combat cart. How can you finish your collection with Combat in the trade pile? :)

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Keatah said:

Having done both the wall of cartridges and folder full of 10,000 roms, overwhelmage happens when there's too much fluff. Or just plain-ol' "too much."

With Harmony/Stella it works better if you curate a list down to say 100 carts or separate them by manufacturer. I like sorting them by mfg. because that's how they're differentiated in the real world - cartridge style and game style. Activision games are distinctly different from Atari games which contrast against M-Network or Imagic.

And besides, that's how I remember them as a kid bitd.

Totally agree, my harmony cart is sorted by publisher and it makes things way less cluttered!

5 hours ago, discotronic said:

You, Sir, officially own a Combat cart. How can you finish your collection with Combat in the trade pile? :)

I still need that elusive picture label though!

Collection update!

First up - Good things come in small packages? Yes...in this case they do!

Got these 6 games from atariage member sramirez2008 for $50! Now, for you old schoolers like me, Snoopy and Jawbreaker aren't $10 games anymore, this is a great deal. Not to mention they are in fantastic condition which in my mind, makes them far more desirable. Now, what wasn't a great deal was the shipping ($12 for first class! what is this world coming to!) No fault of the seller of course, but the current outrageous shipping charges is why I was kind of going for larger lots...but when a snoopy and jawbreaker pop up at a great price, sometimes you have to break the rules! Besides, even at $62 shipped it's still a damn good deal and knocks a few harder to find (affordably) uncommons off my list. Thank you sramirez2008!! If you ever make it to Minnesota I have a vintage TV with your name on it :)

20211108_155508.thumb.jpg.66d3a0fc55aefe0f7f83f94729ae47c0.jpg

20211108_155452.thumb.jpg.f09f085769047509d304eab10d8b4b8f.jpg

Next up is a screaming deal that brings me right back to the old school (did I even find deals this good back then?) Atariage user McCallister practically GAVE these away to me at $30 shipped!! Not only that, there was a few extra games and catalogs I needed included as a surprise...wow! Looks like I'm staying well within budget so far (what is my budget anyways? should probably think about that soon lol) Anyways, McCallister, you da man!! I'll have to find something cool for you next time you pop by minneapolis :)

20211108_155751.thumb.jpg.2da3e9a464086003a8ac8c0aa453d518.jpg

Here is a shot of everything together (need 2 shelving units now haha)

20211108_161008(1).thumb.jpg.6149f5ed4395f039f2a90e0a7faf926c.jpg

Current collection - 144 games

Total investment - $335

I would say so far so good in todays collecting market :)

Working out a possible (very large) lot purchase right now so more should be coming soon....

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Crazy Climber said:

Thank you sramirez2008!!

Glad to be of help.  Love that Snoopy, Jawbreaker and the rest went to a good home.

2 hours ago, Crazy Climber said:

If you ever make it to Minnesota I have a vintage TV with your name on it :)

I was there earlier this year (June).  Our friends live just outside of Minneapolis. Hold onto it, I'll be there next June if not sooner and would to meet you and return with one of your amazing CRTs.?

• Like 1

It's cool watching this come together! I think it's up to every collector what constitutes a "complete" collection. Personally, I like to collect carts and manuals (I love the manuals!) but have no interest in boxes. 

Also, my joystick collection is out of control (no pun intended)... but that's probably another thread. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I miss seeing threads like this, so I'm really glad to see this one develop! Gotta say it doesn't take long to get a collection started and it's always fun to replace a ratty copy with a nicer one and just looking at it all.

Jawbreaker is pretty good game, and Stampede too. You need to pick up a copy of H.E.R.O. though. I'm sure you'll get one soon.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Crazy Climber said:

Collection update!

Got these 6 games from atariage member sramirez2008 for $50! Now, for you old schoolers like me, Snoopy and Jawbreaker aren't $10 games anymore, this is a great deal. Not to mention they are in fantastic condition which in my mind, makes them far more desirable. Now, what wasn't a great deal was the shipping ($12 for first class! what is this world coming to!) No fault of the seller of course, but the current outrageous shipping charges is why I was kind of going for larger lots...but when a snoopy and jawbreaker pop up at a great price, sometimes you have to break the rules! Besides, even at $62 shipped it's still a damn good deal and knocks a few harder to find (affordably) uncommons off my list. Thank you sramirez2008!! If you ever make it to Minnesota I have a vintage TV with your name on it :)

Next up is a screaming deal that brings me right back to the old school (did I even find deals this good back then?) Atariage user McCallister practically GAVE these away to me at $30 shipped!! Not only that, there was a few extra games and catalogs I needed included as a surprise...wow! Looks like I'm staying well within budget so far (what is my budget anyways? should probably think about that soon lol) Anyways, McCallister, you da man!! I'll have to find something cool for you next time you pop by minneapolis :)

Total investment - $335

Working out a possible (very large) lot purchase right now so more should be coming soon....

Thunderground, cool game. Keep a eye out for a rare black and white label version. ;)

thunderground_cart_5.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Melvin Missile said:

It's cool watching this come together! I think it's up to every collector what constitutes a "complete" collection. Personally, I like to collect carts and manuals (I love the manuals!) but have no interest in boxes. 

Also, my joystick collection is out of control (no pun intended)... but that's probably another thread. 

I love a nice spined out shelf of boxes, honestly I would totally do it if price wasn't an issue...but even back in the day when things were cheaper it got too expensive for me real quick. Once you start looking at your stuff and seeing a huge pile of instant money instead of fun collectables, it's all over...

Yeah, I had a pretty crazy joystick collection too at one point, problem was when I displayed it my cats kept messing with it. Wasn't as cool just sitting in a bin haha

14 hours ago, Omegamatrix said:

I miss seeing threads like this, so I'm really glad to see this one develop! Gotta say it doesn't take long to get a collection started and it's always fun to replace a ratty copy with a nicer one and just looking at it all.

Jawbreaker is pretty good game, and Stampede too. You need to pick up a copy of H.E.R.O. though. I'm sure you'll get one soon.

haha, yes, the common stuff builds up REAL QUICK!

Yeah, Ive wanted to do this for awhile, I miss these topics too. I even set aside some money for the initial shopping spree but just needed a little push. The first lot I got was perfect :)

H.E.R.O. is going to be a tough one to justify, that game was $10 back in the old days...

14 hours ago, Keatah said:

That can be a fun thing.

Dude...so true, I probably spend more time looking and organizing them than actually playing them haha

46 minutes ago, roadrunner said:

Thunderground, cool game. Keep a eye out for a rare black and white label version. ;)

Oh man, totally remember when this one popped up for the first time. So many of us just thought it was "sun faded" until you realize that would be impossible. My guess is they either ran out of color ink or switched to black and white as a cost saving measure, you think more would be found though, it's still pretty damn rare isn't it?

3 hours ago, Crazy Climber said:

Oh man, totally remember when this one popped up for the first time. So many of us just thought it was "sun faded" until you realize that would be impossible. My guess is they either ran out of color ink or switched to black and white as a cost saving measure, you think more would be found though, it's still pretty damn rare isn't it?

Yes, does seem pretty rare, not even listed here in the AA data base

• Like 1

On 11/9/2021 at 2:30 PM, Crazy Climber said:

Collection update!

Total investment - $335

I'm getting jealous! Just kidding your a great dude and I'm happy for you. Anyone wants to throw me some scrapes I'll be over here drooling>

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1