IGNORED

OPA Gary!

dhe

49 minutes ago, TheBF said:

They would like to get drunk, they just don't.

That is a function of information -- they know and understand but their basic functioning, the addiction, is still the same.  This theory, incidentally, comes straight out of alcoholics anonymous.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Retrospect said:

was he ripping people off from here?  that's bad.  

I remember talking to Adam owners back in the 90s with similar complaints of products not delivered.

I don't know Gary nor so I know the ratios of delivered to not, but undelivered SOBs was a recurrent complaint back then.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Vorticon said:

Interesting informational video. Looks like Gary got the short end of the stick compared to his partners in crime. He should have moved to France instead of Tahiti as France does not extradite lawful residents no matter what the charge. It's good to be French ?.

Indeed. While given evidence presented he was clearly part of a pirating scheme, it does seem the longer-lived players in the game used him as a fall guy.  Given what others have said, let us consider what about him made him an easy mark to be used as such.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OLD CS1 said:

Indeed. While given evidence presented he was clearly part of a pirating scheme, it does seem the longer-lived players in the game used him as a fall guy.  Given what others have said, let us consider what about him made him an easy mark to be used as such.

There's no honor among thieves.  People will throw you under the bus in a blink of an eye if it keeps them from getting in trouble. 

• Like 4

He fled to HAITI not TAHITI to escape prosecution in Canada for his pirated DVD/CD scheme for which he was liable to get active jail time (I think it was a serial crime situation). He proceeded to run his other scheme from there after having been warned to cease and desist. He was extradited from Haiti (he couldn't leave because he owed thousand in exit fees) and is currently in Federal custody.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, atrax27407 said:

He fled to HAITI not TAHITI to escape prosecution in Canada for his pirated DVD/CD scheme for which he was liable to get active jail time (I think it was a serial crime situation). He proceeded to run his other scheme from there after having been warned to cease and desist. He was extradited from Haiti (he couldn't leave because he owed thousand in exit fees) and is currently in Federal custody.

It was actually the Dominican Republic, but that does make up half of the island of Haiti, so all is technically right here. Interestingly enough, his exit fee issues were seriously overblown importance-wise. If he had enough banked to pay $4.5M as restitution, he had more than enough to pay the $100K to $200K in Dominican Republic exit fees. I suspect he figured no one would bother him there, so he just hunkered down in mostly care-free mode until the locals picked him up (surprise) to extradite him to the US.

• Like 3

But again, how fast can someone blow through 4 million bucks. I Know I can .if I had it, not saying I have that much, I'd never have it, I don't know anyone that has it, again, I don't. Never will, can't think of how I could make that much! 

Leave my $600 alone in my pathetic bank account.. that's all I'm asking. Lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Authors for these types of equipment keep giving it a bad name by tying it to piracy.  As someone who modded his Wii and Ps1,

I did it to run backups - I had four young kids that were rather rough on games.    And at $50 a pop, having a kid try to jam three CDs in the drive at once got expensive.  (I had to replace two iMac slot load drives several times because my oldest Chloe somehow stuck three CDs in it….)

When Chloe had a DS, I did the same thing.  Kids are notoriously bad about losing cartridges, so I got an Acecard and put all her games on it, and safely put the originals in a safe place.  Problem solved.  

Plenty of legal use - as long as you own what you’re backing up - so it’s sad that this was commercialized for illegal distribution instead.

• Like 10

• 4 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, atrax27407 said:

The fact that he fled Canada to avoid prosecution probably had something to do with it. He also had CD/DVD piracy charges pending.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing.  The sentence seemed really harsh at first but judges really don't look kindly upon people who flee the country to avoid being arrested.  I also think Nintendo is tired of rampant piracy on their consoles so they're trying to make an example of the guy.  I agree though, it's a sad state of affairs when murderers get less time than pirates and thieves.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2021 at 8:28 AM, Retrospect said:

oh good lord.  up to 20 year in the nick and 10 million fine .... i'm sorry but, as much as i acknowledge piracy is a bad thing and all that, he could have bloody murdered someone and copped for less.  

During the Napster days, I noted that you could walk into a Blockbuster Video, beat up an attendant, and steal a video and get less time than by sharing the movie on-line.  I was not joking.

Edited by OLD CS1
Removed off-topic commentary.
  • Like 5