IGNORED

Bally Astrocade VS. Atari Jaguar

Sonaru

Hi everyone. I'm trying to decide whether to buy a Bally Astrocade or an Atati Jaguar. They're both rare and expensive consoles so I can only buy one or the other. I'm looking to buy either system if I can find a working system that pops up below $200 USD but that's probably not going to happen. 

1 hour ago, Sonaru said:

I'm trying to decide whether to buy a Bally Astrocade or an Atati Jaguar. [...] I can only buy one or the other.

You wouldn't expect this answer from me, but if you're deciding between these two systems, then go for the Atari Jaguar.  If for no other reason than to own and play Tempest 2000.  Yes, the hype about that game is totally true.  It's not just one of the best games on the system; it's one of the best games ever.

The Astrocade is wonderful but, let's face it, it can't compete against the Jaguar, which has some really wonderful ports.  Even 16-bit ports to this system are great.  A good example is Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure.  The Jag has the best version of this game.  There are many other examples.  You'll have fun looking for them all.

After you get the Jaguar, save up some coins and buy an Astrocade in a year or two.  In the meantime, emulate it with MAME and get a good taste of it by playing a exclusive game like "Solar Conqueror."

Adam

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I will consider the astrocade waaay more in line with the nes because,

1,it was also sold as an entertainment system,

2,it also resambled something else, in this case a frontloading cassette player,

3,it also contained a frontloading ZIF system,

4,it’s graphical and sound capabilities were advanced for it’s time.(in fact the nes should,ve be Z80 based since nintendo arcade systems were also Z80 based and also since nintendo’s intentions was also to port their arcade games to the nes,but the nes was ironically based on the 6502 chip while the astrocade was Z80 based wich i consider an average case)

so was the nes an innovative design to speak??? NO it wasn’t because the astrocade beated the nes by a whopping 7 years ,and with that in mind i am totally amezed that the redesigned famicom the us nes did sold because of A,being called and sold as an entertainment system,B,being a frontloading design to resamble a vcr deck along with it’s ZIF system,yes there were other factors such as the different time frame and including a robot and/or zapper,nintendo’s exclusive ip’s  and it’s UNFAIR intimidating contracts with game developers and retailers in wich nintendo played a falsch monopoly against it’s competitors,

and if i had to choose between the atari jaguar and the astrocade, i would go for the astrocade because it has support for the lightpen thus turning any good old crt tv into a touch screen,

also it does awesome,space invaders,centipede and pac man clones on it as well?

• Like 1

On 11/3/2021 at 2:48 AM, Sonaru said:

Thank you for the tip! That's what I was leaning towards. Also the Jaguar units are more reliable so I don't have to worry about it breaking if I ever plan on reselling it. 

You might want to try Pitfall Mayan Adventure on a few systems if possible, if it's something your considering. 

Found it a nice looking, but rather mediocre title myself. 

The Genesis version runs at 60 FPS, the Jaguar version at 30..

Some people don't notice the difference, others found it rather laggy and choppy. 

The machine honestly is worth buying for Tempest 2000 alone, it really is that good. 

I'd take it over Tempest 4000 any given day. 

• Like 1