Sonaru

Bally Astrocade VS. Atari Jaguar

Hi everyone. I'm trying to decide whether to buy a Bally Astrocade or an Atati Jaguar. They're both rare and expensive consoles so I can only buy one or the other. I'm looking to buy either system if I can find a working system that pops up below $200 USD but that's probably not going to happen. 

1 hour ago, Sonaru said:

I'm trying to decide whether to buy a Bally Astrocade or an Atati Jaguar. [...] I can only buy one or the other.

You wouldn't expect this answer from me, but if you're deciding between these two systems, then go for the Atari Jaguar.  If for no other reason than to own and play Tempest 2000.  Yes, the hype about that game is totally true.  It's not just one of the best games on the system; it's one of the best games ever.

The Astrocade is wonderful but, let's face it, it can't compete against the Jaguar, which has some really wonderful ports.  Even 16-bit ports to this system are great.  A good example is Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure.  The Jag has the best version of this game.  There are many other examples.  You'll have fun looking for them all.

After you get the Jaguar, save up some coins and buy an Astrocade in a year or two.  In the meantime, emulate it with MAME and get a good taste of it by playing a exclusive game like "Solar Conqueror."

Adam

• Like 1

Thank you for the tip! That's what I was leaning towards. Also the Jaguar units are more reliable so I don't have to worry about it breaking if I ever plan on reselling it. 

This is a toughie since both systems bring something unique to the table.  Let us know what you end up buying and how you like it!

• Like 1

For me this one is tough because they're both great, but they're both also quite limited in different ways and I don't think either are worth the sort of money they sell for these days.

I agree that the prices these days are really inflated. I'm not sure if prices will ever drop at some point. I really should've bought either console a few years ago when they were cheap. 

Well as someone with an attraction to older tech, I'd say go first for the jaguar and then the Astrocade like the first dude said. Although, the system IS programmable so there's that