IGNORED

Multisprite kernel pfread checking gravity

ORART

I'm trying to make a sample game with 3 or 4 sprites. The problem is the character collision with floor is not very precise when it comes to gravity (pfread function). I have seen in similar threads that you have to divide by a specific number depending on width and height, but i can't get it correctly.

I use multisprite kernel with pfread.

Here's what i got so far:

Sample.bas  Sample.bas.bin

Any suggestions? Thank you.

My impression is that bogax made a working pfread for the multi sprite kernel.  But, no matter what I've tried I've never gotten a solution to work.

This could very well be my own fault.  Maybe you can find one of the working solutions and post it here.  I'd love to be proven wrong :)

UPDATE:  Found the bogax solution here

Gemintronic,

I ran into this issue. Bogax code works, but it need precise calculations when flipping the Sprite. Also 

RT made a sample program for DPC+ using the pacman style, but he could figure out the calculations for multisprite. 

My way around it was Brute Force. Just old school X and Y coordinates for the Pacman Multisprite game I was working on. Downside. This takes up a lot of memory and is a pain as well.

I think you will crack the code as you have way more experience than I do. Plus I think some of skip over the multisprite for this main reason as it's hard to have smooth collisions like RR said vice the bouncy stuff.

• Thanks 1

The smoothest "slide along the walls" collisions I've found is to:

* Hide a missile in the player center and use that to determine collision.  When you revert the x/y position the rebound is hidden within the player sprite.

* Check (and correct) for horizontal collisions one frame and vertical on the next frame.

• Like 1

I tried that approach too, but I think my formulas and math were off. It would about 80% of the time. It seemed like when the sprite flipped that when I would have the issue. Even trying to off set it some I would end up in the wall. 

Holy someone can do a good collision code for multisprite. That's one reason I took a break on the pac man game and fee other ideas I had for multisprite.

• Like 1

Orart,

Looking at your game in my Android emulator. If it's just the floor. I would use x and y coordinates. It's a pain, but the code would be exact. If like my game moving around mazes and walls it a real pain jn the (a..). If you search the batari forum for pacman eat n run my "bloated" code is there. It works, but eats up space.