IGNORED

Atari 800 PAL 48K box contents

martijnv

Hi all, I'm new on this forum. I live in the Netherlands and I own a boxed 600XL, a boxed 800 PAL and lots of peripherals and games.

The 800 is a beautiful machine and works perfectly. It was boxed when I bought it a couple of years ago, but it only contained the system. I've already found a C060497 International owners guide, but I was wondering what the rest of the box contents would be. I know this later PAL version had a different content than the earlier/NTSC systems. Perhaps somebody has any pictures?

IMG_1963.jpeg

IMG_2302.jpeg

• Like 2

Looking at that boxed Atari 800, I can only imagine the excitement a kid would experience unboxing that on Christmas morning.

I never got to experience the excitement of a Christmas morning 8 bit unboxing, I had to buy my hardware second hand off school friends - Although I did get a disk drive one Christmas, which wouldn't have been cheap.

I would have loved to get a computer as an Xmas present but I am a bit older than some so all my computers were brought by me with my wages, that's not to say I didn't get great presents as a kid, my bike was my fave and a typewriter, one of the more odd ones :), also loved a chemistry set :)

But yes, seeing an 800 on Xmas morn would have been wonderful..

Welcome to the forum, another person from the Netherlands... Excellent..

Paul..

Edited by Mclaneinc
spelling as always!
  • Like 1

I got my first Atari, a 600XL, during summer, so no Xmas memories there ?

But it felt like Xmas opening the box of the 800 when I got it ? But I would very much like to know what should have been in that box to make it complete ?

Edited by martijnv
small addition

Getting a Atari 400 brand from my parents and a new Colour TV (a Hitachi 14" portable jobby) from Grandparents as a joint present for me and my 2 younger brothers was awesome. We all work in IT so it definitely did something to us.
So long ago that I don't remember what was in the box, Computer, PSU,Basic Cart (maybe) User guide and I seem to remember a ring bound book, but I'm old and had several TIA's 
Only surpassed by the Windsurfing board I received when I was 17 (that took some wrapping :D )

Edited by mimo

Looks like Santa couldn't wait and already unpacked the Atari himself ?

@mimo I think that earlier versions than mine contained cartridges such as Basic, Atari got "cheaper" along the way. I also think that the NTSC version contained a TV splitter that was not supplied with the PAL version, but I'm not sure about that.

2 minutes ago, martijnv said:

I also think that the NTSC version contained a TV splitter that was not supplied with the PAL version, but I'm not sure about that.

My PAL one didn't have a splitter (1981 vintage machine), I remember having to buy one so we could keep the TV aerial and 800 plugged in at the same time.