IGNORED

Power supply repair

Sargon

I booted up my Jaguar today for the first time in over a year and noticed an audible hum coming from the system, in addition to some video interference.  I had a spare power supply, so I plugged that in and everything cleared up immediately.

My question is, for the noisy power supply, are they worth repairing?  I know the OEM power supplies can be somewhat pricey, so is there a standard fix for this type of issue that would get it back in working order?

Well there isn't much inside those PSUs. Just the transformer and a large capacitor most likely. About a year ago...maybe longer now, I bought a few of the large caps that are inside the the Sega Genesis PSUs. But having seen both the Jag and Genesis PSUs side by side, I'm guessing they have the same stuff inside them since they looked to have been made from the same factory back in the day. I can't recall the exact value in those right off hand, but I know that at least on one of the PSUs that the cap had indeed leaked out quite a bit and was corroding the PCB inside the PSU. I removed it, cleaned up the oily electrolyte and replaced the cap and now use that PSU on my workbench for testing systems.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sargon said:

My question is, for the noisy power supply, are they worth repairing? 

If you want to keep the original look, yeah.

If you don't care, a good quality modern power supply is not expensive, and it's both smaller and more efficient than the original brick. Just make sure to get the polarity and voltage correct, and choose a model that can ouptut at least 1.2 amps.

On 11/6/2021 at 2:44 PM, Sargon said:

I have had good luck with Triad power supplies in general. Has anyone tried this one?

https://console5.com/store/9v-1300ma-ul-certified-power-supply-transformer-for-sega-genesis-cd-nes-aes-tg16-100v-240v.html

Yeap they work really well. I've got three of them myself. I use two of them to power Roland synth modules that use the same similar specs and the other one is up in my workbench and I use it to power quite a number of different systems using different adapters etc. OH... I just realized I bought a 4th one when I got my Dragon Fly cart. I cut the wire, reversed them to correct the polarity and use it to power my DF cart in my 7800.