IGNORED

List of software that doesn't work on 1200XL please?

Sugarland

• 2 weeks later...

If you are limiting your question to the released rev 10, then there will be many titles.  If however, you are looking at Rev 11, there will be very few.  At one point I had tested 100's of EXE games on rev 10 and found many would not run.  After updating the 1200XL to rev 11, its proved to be 98% compatible with the 600/800XL OS.  There were only a few titles I could find that would not run on rev 11, but did so on the 600/800XL OS.  If you want to keep the 1200XL OS with the ATARI screen flash, updating the OS to rev 11 is a must.  I think Atari already made so many rev 10s, they decided to ship them out until they exhausted the supply and then would use the rev 11s, but the production run of the 1200XL was cut short (months only) and rev 11 never shipped off the line.  A shame really.  Maybe they went to rev 11 because of all the bad press the 1200XL was getting for compatibility and maybe they intended to recall units with rev 11, but that recall never materialized.  No one knows why Atari shot themselves in the foot with rev 10.

• Like 2

Generally, if I have a question about the Atari 8-bit computers, I look in the Atari 8-bit FAQ first. It has answered many questions for me in the past. You can find it in numerous places on the Internet. I have seen a lot of questions ask over the decades about Atari 8-bits that are answered in the FAQ. It really has a ton of information it. Maybe more than most realize.

Maybe it could be included (or a link to it) on the top of this sub-forum.

14 hours ago, ACML said:

If you are limiting your question to the released rev 10, then there will be many titles.  If however, you are looking at Rev 11, there will be very few.  At one point I had tested 100's of EXE games on rev 10 and found many would not run.  After updating the 1200XL to rev 11, its proved to be 98% compatible with the 600/800XL OS.  There were only a few titles I could find that would not run on rev 11, but did so on the 600/800XL OS.  If you want to keep the 1200XL OS with the ATARI screen flash, updating the OS to rev 11 is a must.  I think Atari already made so many rev 10s, they decided to ship them out until they exhausted the supply and then would use the rev 11s, but the production run of the 1200XL was cut short (months only) and rev 11 never shipped off the line.  A shame really.  Maybe they went to rev 11 because of all the bad press the 1200XL was getting for compatibility and maybe they intended to recall units with rev 11, but that recall never materialized.  No one knows why Atari shot themselves in the foot with rev 10.

I thought that rev 11 was fixing issues with reset and moving routines around to be more compatible with Rev B -- not more XL compatible. hmm..

On 11/15/2021 at 1:09 PM, kheller2 said:

I thought that rev 11 was fixing issues with reset and moving routines around to be more compatible with Rev B -- not more XL compatible. hmm..

Yes afaik, the 800XL OS is much more compatible with the 800's OS B mostly because of Atari's work on OS11. Read that in this forum a year or two ago, perhaps from a post by @ACML

On 11/15/2021 at 10:11 AM, Allan said:

Generally, if I have a question about the Atari 8-bit computers, I look in the Atari 8-bit FAQ first. It has answered many questions for me in the past. You can find it in numerous places on the Internet. I have seen a lot of questions ask over the decades about Atari 8-bits that are answered in the FAQ. It really has a ton of information it. Maybe more than most realize.

Maybe it could be included (or a link to it) on the top of this sub-forum.

Yes I looked in the FAQ and couldn't find any list of software that the 1200XL's stock OS10 does not work but does work on the 800XL.

On 11/15/2021 at 11:46 AM, Mclaneinc said:

Yes, that would be an excellent idea if it's not already in the new & returning atarians sticky thread..

Edit: Just looked and it is indeed linked right at the top of that pinned thread..

Which thread is this, please?  Edit: The linked FAQ is huge.  What section of the FAQ?

Edited by Sugarland

3 hours ago, Sugarland said:

Which thread is this, please?  Edit: The linked FAQ is huge.  What section of the FAQ?

Sorry Sugarland, time differences mean I've only just seen your posts, glad you found the info as all I was pointing out was the faq was in a sticky thread, so easy to find.

Before I installed my 32-in-1 OS mine had the Rev. 10 rom, but out of all my software I collected for my old 130XE, I never had a problem with any software on the 1200XL and always wondered what all the  incompatible fuss was  about. Of course I have both roms 10 & 11 on the 32-in one. Love that splash screen! 

Some third-party cartridges won't fit in the 1200XL's stock slot, but I fixed that with a Dremel and sanding wheel by sanding down the side walls to half-thickness (only the side walls of the 1200's removable side plate). Now everything fits!

Edited by Gunstar

I have found my catalogue from American Techna-Vision dated 1989, San Leandro, California.

It states on page 30 :

' 1200XL - All software in this catalog will run on your machine EXCEPT the following two titles:

#A6293 STORY MACHINE

#A572   GORF'

It is cool they had hashtags back in Cali in those days!

Will try to scan and upload aforementioned catalogue, as well as other items, as time permits.

Search my disk archive (already available on Atariage under my username) for additional information.

This has been a trip down RAM/ ROM lane.

• Like 1