IGNORED

Keystone Koppers [Done]

Muddyfunster

On 3/5/2023 at 3:14 PM, Trebor said:

The speed in which the elevator moves among the floors was an intentional design choice to be slower than the 2600 version.  A slower moving elevator prevents often camping in front of the elevator and avoiding a considerable number of obstacles to capture the 'krook'.  Due to a stronger likelihood of running out of time, it forces the player to take up the challenge more often to tackle obstacles in pursuit of the goal.

Whether this details is better or worse than the 2600 version is dependent on whether you find more enjoyment camping out waiting for the elevator, avoiding and passing obstacles less, or rather more in-game action and challenge of avoiding and passing the obstacles presented.

That's a great summary @Trebor, thankyou.

As they say, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

Koppers, like A.R.T.I. is not a like-for-like port, it's more of a remaster or perhaps even better, an adaptation. My interpretation of the game takes features from all of the versions that came out, not just the 2600. I prefer this approach as there are some things in each version that are great and there are some things, that I didn't like, or were there due to limitations of a given platform.

I don't plan to change my approach to ports ! :).

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Muddyfunster said:

Koppers, like A.R.T.I. is not a like-for-like port, it's more of a remaster or perhaps even better, an adaptation. My interpretation of the game takes features from all of the versions that came out, not just the 2600. I prefer this approach as there are some things in each version that are great and there are some things, that I didn't like, or were there due to limitations of a given platform.

I don't plan to change my approach to ports ! :).

I absolutely agree. :)

This game (like A.R.T.I.) is a tribute to the masterpiece born on 2600 so, not being an arcade port, I think it's the right direction to have introduced new features for 7800. I see it as a natural and interesting evolution of the original concept, but updated at the time of a third generation system.

By the way, being the 7800 backwards compatible with the 2600, it seems that we really don't need a port identical to the original version. :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/5/2023 at 9:14 AM, Trebor said:

The speed in which the elevator moves among the floors was an intentional design choice to be slower than the 2600 version.  A slower moving elevator prevents often camping in front of the elevator and avoiding a considerable number of obstacles to capture the 'krook'.  Due to a stronger likelihood of running out of time, it forces the player to take up the challenge more often to tackle obstacles in pursuit of the goal.

Whether this details is better or worse than the 2600 version is dependent on whether you find more enjoyment camping out waiting for the elevator, avoiding and passing obstacles less, or rather more in-game action and challenge of avoiding and passing the obstacles presented.

Accept that it is still possible as you have seen from private videos I shared among the test group. Once you get it locked in, after a few boards, then it seems to pretty much be at the ready when you get to it each time there after.

• Like 2

@Trebor

Thanks for replying.

"The speed in which the elevator moves among the floors was an intentional design choice to be slower than the 2600 version"

Well ... is possible an feature to allow select between the original elevator timing moving and default design using select button or difficulty A or B ?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Accept that it is still possible as you have seen from private videos I shared among the test group. Once you get it locked in, after a few boards, then it seems to pretty much be at the ready when you get to it each time there after.

The player does have to ensure not losing a life, as well as flow through every first floor obstacle prior to the elevator pretty smoothly, nearly without hesitation.  It is quite challenging once the double bouncing balls make an appearance.  As soon as losing a life occurs, the timing will likely be different for the elevator.

In your videos, you do play the game exceptionally well, and if you can lock it in and continue level after level without a life loss, it is considered more a reward in my book. ;)

10 minutes ago, Aug said:

@Trebor
Thanks for replying.
"The speed in which the elevator moves among the floors was an intentional design choice to be slower than the 2600 version"
Well ... is possible an feature to allow select between the original elevator timing moving and default design using select button or difficulty A or B ?

The game is already finalized by @Muddyfunster and for sale.  Nonetheless, as per above, become an expert player, nail the timings on the first floor prior to the elevator, avoid losing a life, and the elevator is available as desired. :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Trebor said:

The game is already finalized by @Muddyfunster and for sale.  Nonetheless, as per above, become an expert player, nail the timings on the first floor prior to the elevator, avoid losing a life, and the elevator is available as desired. :)

The game is quite challenging but if you’re good enough, you can join the “Billy Club”.  

Happy gaming everyone. 🙂

0900A606-7768-4C02-852B-5EA2212CBF42.jpeg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 3/12/2023 at 7:47 PM, sramirez2008 said:

The game is quite challenging but if you’re good enough, you can join the “Billy Club”.  

Happy gaming everyone. 🙂

0900A606-7768-4C02-852B-5EA2212CBF42.jpeg

"Keystone Kenny and the Koppers gather in this Blarney joint to share hot tips and a pint.

That's funny.  Before the internet and youtube, really, I'd never heard of drinking "a pint."  It's a British expression.  Being an American, I'd never heard it before youtube.  With Activision being an American company, it's surprising to see that language.

Was this something included with the game BITD?  If so, was it in American boxes?. "Blarney" is an odd word too for an American audience.

8 hours ago, christo930 said:

"Keystone Kenny and the Koppers gather in this Blarney joint to share hot tips and a pint.

That's funny.  Before the internet and youtube, really, I'd never heard of drinking "a pint."  It's a British expression.  Being an American, I'd never heard it before youtube.  With Activision being an American company, it's surprising to see that language.

Was this something included with the game BITD?  If so, was it in American boxes?. "Blarney" is an odd word too for an American audience.

The original game (some versions anyway) had the newspaper type instruction manual. I thought it was nice and quirky feature and I wanted to keep it for Koppers on the 7800. Some of the articles are changed to suit a more modern audience :). The original didn't use the word "pint" that's a change I made.  

You can see the original 5200 version here : https://atariage.com/manual_thumbs.php?SoftwareID=2075

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

A little update to say that I'll be making the final Koppers ROM available for purchase in the coming week or two, along with some of my other older games (Danger Zone, Dare Devil & Tyre Trax).

There will be regular PAL & NTSC versions (Dragonfly, 7800GD, MiSTer, Emulation, etc.) and also a version for Concerto owners.

Anyone who has previously purchased a physical copy will get a discount (when providing proof of purchase) against a digital ROM.

I'm just figuring out the final details and will update shortly.

Any question, let me know ! :) 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

On 3/5/2023 at 7:14 AM, Trebor said:

Is the timing on the A8 version different than the 2600?? Because you can't really do much elevator camping for this very reason. 

On 4/14/2023 at 9:05 PM, christo930 said:

That's funny.  Before the internet and youtube, really, I'd never heard of drinking "a pint."  It's a British expression.  Being an American, I'd never heard it before youtube.

Not just a British expression, but pretty much anywhere outside the US where beer was sold by the pint in pubs at one time or another.

On 4/14/2023 at 9:05 PM, christo930 said:

"Blarney" is an odd word too for an American audience.

It's an Irishism (and one which nobody who is Irish actually uses).  Between the references to O'Shaughnessey's Pub, having a pint, and use of 'Blarney', they were going for a play on the trope of cops in major East Coast American cities (plus Chicago) seemingly all being Irish.

Source: I'm Irish but currently live in the US.  And now that I've been deeply, horribly, and irretrievably offended by these slights against my people, I demand a hug and that everyone go buy every cartridge in stock in order to save future generations from such suffering.  If future runs are produced, think of the children and be sure to buy them out as well.  Repeat as required.  No purchase necessary, except for the purchase of the cartridges.  Void where permitted.  Side effects may include birds soiling your car as you leave the car wash.  Faith and begorrah!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Goddamn...count me as someone who, in years playing the 2600 version, and now an hour playing the 7800 version, has legit gotten the elevator to work for me...oh...once? Ever, MAYBE?

As a kid I think I thought the elevator was actually a red herring trap. Krook just went the other way and I NEVER felt I actually gained any ground.

And damn those f'ing planes are as annoying as ever. XD

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, Orlock99 said:

Hi, any chance at seeing a standalone rom purchase for this game? Since it's been removed from the AA store. I did spot mentions of the possibility but not sure if there was ever any follow up on that.

+1

I'd buy a copy as well.

1 hour ago, Orlock99 said:

Hi, any chance at seeing a standalone rom purchase for this game? Since it's been removed from the AA store. I did spot mentions of the possibility but not sure if there was ever any follow up on that.

1 hour ago, bent_pin said:

+1

I'd buy a copy as well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 5/21/2023 at 4:10 AM, Muddyfunster said:

I believe so. The timing on all the versions I tried had variation and no two ports were the same.

I talked to Garry Kitchen about this last weekend. He says he oversaw the Demeo conversion to the A8. He didn't remember there being a timing difference between the A8 and the 2600, but its been decades.