IGNORED

Omnitrend's Universe

videofx

8 hours ago, DavidMil said:

By any chance is your Flight 2 disk still working?  Mine is dead.  I need it to finish the game.

Thanks,

David

PS. I wrote a Quick Start Guide some years ago.  That will help you a long way towards finishing the game!

DM 

Yes all my floppies seem to be working so I made copies of all of them :)

Yes thanks for the quick start guide! I have one problem but I need to test with original disks to see if its the game or copy problem. I may PM if it doesn't work

Edited by videofx

5 minutes ago, videofx said:

I have V1.3

Do you share a dump of your Starport disk?

For whatever reason we do not have an original dump for this one, while all three other disks have been flux-dumped at least two times.

If you only have an ATR, this will still be better than having no original dump.

;)

16 hours ago, videofx said:

I have V1.3

I had to go look at them.  I have version 1.2 (dated May of 1984).

I think that the Starport disk is the only one that is copy protected.  As I remember the directions even tell you to make copies of the

other three disks. 

David

On 11/8/2021 at 3:24 AM, DjayBee said:

Thank you.  I hope that the disk 4 is not the same as the one on Atarimania, because that dump is flawed.

DavidMil

On 11/10/2021 at 2:37 PM, _The Doctor__ said:

it shouldn't be... that's not how the preservation project operates...

Hope not, cause I just now made a disk of Flight II and when I finish this post I'm going to fire up my old 800 and see what happens!

I'll let you all know...

David

PS the docs say that none of the disks are copy protected.  Thank you videofx!

DM

Edited by DavidMil
Added the PS

After playing the game for 4 hours yesterday, I figured that it was time to make another set of backup disks.  Now I remember one

of the things that I had come to hate about that game.  The make copies of disks that is included in the Save Game routine can cause

faulty backups.  To make a long story short, it corrupted all three of my player disks!  So I'm going to start using a disk copy program

to make backups of my player disk from now on.  The save game part of the Save Game routine works fine, it just the make copies part

that blows!

David

PS.

The Flight II disk that DjayBee posted works great.  Thank you!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

David,

I remember using a third part backup software to do that save game archive. I almost never used the supplied backup routine from the game.

It was always a pain when I forgot to make that backup, played further, and then died. Starting back up again at a much earlier point (from an existing backup) was the pits!

I must admit that I never completed the game. I read somewhere on this forum that completing the game is something of a "hit or miss" proposition. The designers didn't make an ending that was set, or something to that effect.

Still, I spent many hours enjoying the game BITD.

One time I think I was close to getting the hyperdrive booster, but the game crashed and I hadn't made a backup in a while.  Then I discovered that

my Flight II disk have died too.  I do remember that it is important to use your Hi-DEF scanner.  I picked up some clues from other ships via the scanner.

If think that the game has certain goals that have to be attained before you can find the booster, I had been to all the stars and most of the planets.  I

had tried my hand at mining and piracy, and I had also bought and sold stuff and completed a few contracts.

David   

• 8 months later...