IGNORED

U1MB Crash

bf2k+

Sounds like this will require removing the flash from the U1MB and re-programming in an external burner.  Several of us here have the hardware to do this.  One word of caution - you must use the proper puller to remove the flash (small square IC) from the U1MB.  DO NOT try just using a small screwdriver or similar, to pry the chip out from the corner.  You will crack the socket.

2 hours ago, ivop said:

Do you have a MaxFlash cart? If so, you can use it to flash the flash ROM. I have done so multiple times.

I have plenty of Atarimax Flash carts.  This would work assuming I can get the flash chip out of the U1MB and plug it in?  Ahh but I don't have Steve Tucker's USB Flashing hardware.  Is there a way to create a bootable flash program (like the old way we did it?)

22 minutes ago, Larry said:

A purchased puller is certainly best, but I made a puller from a large paperclip, and that worked fine for me.  Postage is a killer these days!

With my luck, I would end up breaking the socket, tearing traces off the board and formatting my hard drive... :) 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

For posterity, the reason this happened in the first place is that the SIDE1 banking register is at the same location as that of the U1MB. No such issue exists with SIDE2.

I didn't know that... but I knew something was wrong as soon as I hit the <return> key... :lol:

• Like 2

After attempting to read the maxflash studio documentation, and obtaining a PLCC extractor, I am at a loss as to how to re-flash the U1MB.  Maxflash docs don't tell me how to create the stand-alone bootable ATR that I can flash from.

So is there anyone I can pay to do this for me?

Will depend on the size of your ROM file for the U1MB. (@flashjazzcat should be able to confirm or even prep a file for you)

e.g. if it is 512KB then this needs to be double to fit the cartridge, e.g. on a Windows Command prompt use:

copy in.bin /B + in.bin /B out.bin /B

Then in the cart studio app select the menu to convert the file to an ATR image.

image.thumb.png.d3cdc069b029de6c09aa5521986cb74c.png

This way, either EEPROM in the cart will contain the same. 

• Like 1

Cool... I got that far but the BIN was 512k and it needed to be twice as big for the 8mbit cart.  I didn't realize that I could just append the bin file to itself to double the size.

I will try later this evening...  Thanks.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bf2k+ said:

Cool... I got that far but the BIN was 512k and it needed to be twice as big for the 8mbit cart.  I didn't realize that I could just append the bin file to itself to double the size.

I will try later this evening...  Thanks.

Yes, you will end up with two firmware flash ROMS :)