IGNORED

Atari Lynx II - LCD Mod issue

Fultos

Hello everyone,

I've rescued a Atari Lynx from ebay wich was sold broken. I've replaced Caps and other parts and finally make it work. Since the screen was also broken I tough of an upgrade to LCD. I've installed the thing but can't find what's left to fix because I now have vertical lines. Other issues it wont turn of even with a new membrane for the buttons, every other buttons works even backlight.

Do you guys now a little about the inside and common issue of this console, or know a place I would find something about it?

Thanks

photo_2021-11-06_13-43-59.jpg

Did you have the vertical bars with the original screen before installing the updated one?

On the not turning off issue, since you stated you replaced the caps and the mylar, the one thing that sticks out that you wouldn't have likely replaced since it isn't part of any more kits, would be U6. It controls the on/off states when using the power button. Unless there were other modifications done to it prior to you working on it that might be bypassing that in some way.

• Thanks 1

It could be the suzy as they seem to be a high failure IC in these handhelds now. Although usually it is just a few odd graphic pixels here and there and not something as consistent as the vertical stripes you are getting down the screen. Which kit did you install for the LCD? McWill or Benn's?

1 hour ago, gilsaluki said:

If Suzy is the reason, it's bad, is that the end of the line for the LYNX?  No replacement Suzy's?   Is that Analogue Pocket thing gonna happen?  I need something as a replacement if all these Suzy-Qs start crappin' out due to age. 

Suzy can be replaced but you need a donor to do so yes. I've not personally swapped out a Suzy yet myself but I believe it is an SMD quad flat chip so a hot air station would be needed. Not sure if the PCB needs to be pre-heated prior though.

56 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Suzy can be replaced but you need a donor to do so yes. I've not personally swapped out a Suzy yet myself but I believe it is an SMD quad flat chip so a hot air station would be needed. Not sure if the PCB needs to be pre-heated prior though.

Yeah, not many have SMD abilities.  So, I guess that would affectively be the end of a lot of Lynxes (bad Suzy).