IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 15 - Game 17 - Auto Racing Extravaganza - Season Finale!!!

Really clever scoring!  Almost makes me want to submit a score for this one--along with it being the last game of the season already.  How is that possible?  Love HSC, but don't get to participate as often as I would like.  Will try to do better.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, mark griff said:

Now I know why I hated this game as a kid and threw it at my brother this game SUcKS!!!

I know where you're coming from, but I actually think it's an amazing driving game, considering its age. Whoever designed it got the car dynamics just right - the feeling of momentum, the drifting round corners, the reward for driving smoothly etc.

The only thing that lets it down (and admittedly it's a big thing!) is the controls. Because of the way the disc is made, it just isn't sensitive enough. You end up constantly trying to correct your position on the track and either turn too much or not enough and end up spinning off. 

If only the disc was a bit less on/off, it would be an absolutely incredible game, but instead it becomes extremely frustrating. Very rewarding when you get it right though. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, mark griff said:

Yeah I guess you guys are right. I just have to give it more of a go. thanks but if I throw the game its your fault Rick lol

Lol it's funny you say that because my room has a small dent in the wall from me rage throwing the Dragonfire cart at it over the Summer lolololol ?

Cracking Up Lol GIF

• Haha 3

Games Won Update:

7 Rickster8 - Motocross x3 / Space Hawk / Space Gunner / Space Armada / Super Pro Decathlon x4 / Horse Racing / Dracula

7 gezkc - Tropical Trouble / Happy Trails / Loco-Motion / Horse Racing / Nova Blast / Mission X / BNJ Smash Up

3 mr_me - Bomb Squad / Space Battle / Space Spartans

2 IntyFanMatt - Dreadnaught Factor / Utopia

2 lupovax - Super Pro Decathlon / Horse Racing

2 mark griff - Pitfall GOLD / Horse Racing

2 gavvv - BurgerTime / Diner

1 RogerPoco - White Water

1 Sprazzi - White Water

• Like 1

Overall Rankings

After BNJ Smash Up

1 Rickster8 262
2 Mark Griff 198
3 gezkc 194
4 lupovax 167
5 Sprazzi 140
6 wolfy62 94
7 mr_me 91
8 IntyFanMatt 75
9 fakecortex 58
10 gar0u 57
11 ed1475 31
12 roadrunner 29
13 gavvv 23
14 CParsley 15
15 Gernot 13
16 Ace24 12
17 RogerPoco 11
18 t0spmad 10
19 jblenkle 7
20 JacobZu7zu7 5

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Rickster8 said:

With the White car that's INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ?

I know! I couldn't believe it myself! ? 

I think the white car does suit this track though. It's tight and twisty, so the lack of top speed isn't so much of a problem.

I didn't think I'd get anywhere near your time though! 

1 hour ago, gezkc said:

Ah, so that's why I'm doing well. ?

Can you look at the bottom of the console to be sure?

Yeah I figured something was up? Nobody smashes Al's timed records especially if using the same exact car. Are you able to play here using NTSC for Auto Racing? You have an Upgraded Flashback from Byte Knight correct? Although I think the ROM on that is Directional Steering which is fine, but you might not be good at first with that method as the steering is completely different. See if you can play NTSC somehow as that method would be fairest with these races.... Using PAL the timing of the car will be slower, meaning the clock will go slower. NTSC is at 60 Hertz, whereas PAL is at 50 Hertz I believe.... Your times using the PAL are world record incredible... On Courses 2,3 and 5 you SMASHED Al's times and no offense, but that's just NOT normal..... 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Rickster8 said:

Can you look at the bottom of the console to be sure?

Yeah I figured something was up? Nobody smashes Al's timed records especially if using the same exact car. Are you able to play here using NTSC for Auto Racing? You have an Upgraded Flashback from Byte Knight correct? Although I think the ROM on that is Directional Steering which is fine, but you might not be good at first with that method as the steering is completely different. See if you can play NTSC somehow as that method would be fairest with these races.... Using PAL the timing of the car will be slower, meaning the clock will go slower. NTSC is at 60 Hertz, whereas PAL is at 50 Hertz I believe.... Your times using the PAL are world record incredible... On Courses 2,3 and 5 you SMASHED Al's times and no offense, but that's just NOT normal..... 

I just had a look at Auto Racing on Twin Galaxies, and it seems strange because on there it says "This variation is for both NTSC and PAL as there is no difference between the two on the Intellivision Video Game Console".

Still, if you think my times aren't valid, then fair enough - you don't need to include them in this round. 

Edited by gezkc

53 minutes ago, gezkc said:

I just had a look at Auto Racing on Twin Galaxies, and it seems strange because on there it says "This variation is for both NTSC and PAL as there is no difference between the two on the Intellivision Video Game Console".

Still, if you think my times aren't valid, then fair enough - you don't need to include them in this round. 

Yeah there’s actually a current dispute on there right now for the game Beamrider (the world record) which was played on a PAL console. Also those rules are antiquated and have been proven incorrect. In short they need to be updated as there are in fact some BIG differences between the two. The Intellivision console is kind of in a state of flux right now on Twin Galaxies bcuz of this very issue. 

Edited by Rickster8

Here’s a good acid test. Video some of your times and then compare them to Al’s running a stopwatch on both (using a cellphone) is fine. You will see the difference I promise you. In real time Al’s will be faster.... for this site it doesn’t really matter but for world records it does matter.... 

Edited by Rickster8
  • Like 1

Because I did NOT specify any rules before the season regarding NTSC and / or PAL I kind of have to accept the times from the PAL console. Going forward I will state that I believe in the order of fairness so we are all on the same playing field that we 'try' to use NTSC consoles. Because we do keep 'records' here for the site I will have to cite these specific times as being attained on a PAL console. No worries, we can make it work for now, but going forward I would like to see this change made. 

With these type of games, they run about 20% slower on a PAL system.  If you think it makes a difference you can run it in speed one on an NTSC system.  That will make it a little slower than PAL disc speed.  Theoretically, one system or mode shouldn't produce faster times than the other.

• Like 1