Sign in to follow this  
dhe

flex cable

This weekend while moving cards about in a pbox, I lost a flex cable.
   Yes - I always power down and wait 10 minutes (minimum) before inserting or extracting a card.
   Yes - I try to make sure the card is perfectly aligned up and down, before inserting them.
   Yes - I touch the metal of the pbox to make sure I'm fully un-staticed.

I found out by going into e/a with just the flex and ti-32k - no memory expansion error.

I moved that to a different pbox and the error followed.
A different flex cable with the same 32K unit worked.

Bud Mills and Chris both mentioned the ls245 as having a particularly hard life.

Are the schematics for the flex cable out there?

I did look at TI's:
Peripheral Expansion System - Theory of Operation and Technical Training Manual
-and-
TI--99/4 Home Computer Troubleshooting Guide
and found nothing helpful.

16 minutes ago, dhe said:

Are the schematics for the flex cable out there?

Yes, I have referred to them many times.  Look at sheets six and seven, pages 64 and 65, of the "TI-99/4A Console and Peripheral Expansion System Technical Data" manual.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I checked my toy box. I have a handful of 74LS245 and 244's.

I didn't have any 20 pin sockets.

I searched ebay for 20 pin Machine Screw Sockets.

Only came up with two vendors, one in China and one in Poland.

I have 10 Polish sockets on the way.

3 minutes ago, dhe said:

There is a joke in this somewhere. I can feel it in my bones.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, dhe said:

I checked my toy box. I have a handful of 74LS245 and 244's.

I didn't have any 20 pin sockets.

I searched ebay for 20 pin Machine Screw Sockets.

Only came up with two vendors, one in China and one in Poland.

You forgot the two most likely local sources for parts: Unicorn Electronics and me. I always have lots of sockets on hand for the various projects I'm working on. I actually have 500 of the 20-pin sockets on their way from a reliable Chinese source at the moment (they are somewhere in the outbound Chinese customs process as of yesterday). Bonus with this source is that all of the metal parts are gold plated, so I never have to worry about ROHS/Legacy soldering issues with them. Their prices are pretty good too, although they can be a bit slow to ship. I always get my items though. . .so I can live with a bit of slow, and I program the standard delays with them into my order frequency. I have probably ordered 10,000 sockets from them over the last ten years.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ksarul said:

You forgot the two most likely local sources for parts: Unicorn Electronics and me. I always have lots of sockets on hand for the various projects I'm working on. I actually have 500 of the 20-pin sockets on their way from a reliable Chinese source at the moment (they are somewhere in the outbound Chinese customs process as of yesterday). Bonus with this source is that all of the metal parts are gold plated, so I never have to worry about ROHS/Legacy soldering issues with them. Their prices are pretty good too, although they can be a bit slow to ship. I always get my items though. . .so I can live with a bit of slow, and I program the standard delays with them into my order frequency. I have probably ordered 10,000 sockets from them over the last ten years.

Yeah, I keep stuff like this on subscription order better than my Keurig pods ...:lol:

20pinDIP.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, helocast said:

Yeah, I keep stuff like this on subscription order better than my Keurig pods ...:lol:

20pinDIP.jpg

I've bought from them before too. As I noted, the source I use gets sockets with all metal parts gold plated, not just the socket inserts. Of course, they also cost about double what the ones you ordered cost. I also buy the sockets like yours from time-to-time, especially when the price is right (like when I found 3,000 of the 16-pin sockets for a price that could not be passed up earlier this year--I think it was about 8 cents a socket).

• Like 1