IGNORED

Atari Jaguar repair service (Europe)?

Htbaa

Hi all! I haven't been here in a long time! If I waited a couple of days it would be exactly 10 years ago since my last post. Impressive all the old topics and even PM's are still here :-).

So, many many years ago when I was young and foolish and not quite capable with a soldering iron (still ain't) I butchered 2 Jaguars :-(. My original one always gave me red screens, so I decided to experiment on it as a practice unit to install a socket so I could use that experience on a perfectly fine unit to swap the boot rom with the BJL ROM. But it never worked out. Total massacre and lost the original ROM's in the process. I never did like it having these two units in this state. I've searched around the forums but couldn't really find anything, so I decided to open a topic myself.

Is there any (trustworthy) repair service located in Europe? These two Jaguars need to be serviced and get a new bootrom installed, if they're still salvageable. I also have two JagCD's of which one does play the games, but requires a little pressure to boot and the other one spins up the discs just fine but doesn't read them (a simple drive replacement I probably could do myself, but are these parts still available?).

I've seen someone on Twitter who does a lot of retro console mods and recapping, which gives me hope someone can restore these poor Jags as well?

• Sad 1

I have a bit of experience in hacking the Jags myself. Nothing fancy, just replaced a couple of connectors. You might have seen a post about it here. I also run a page on FB, which is supposed to hold all my retro HW fixups, but has strangely only a couple of Atari posts :)

https://www.facebook.com/Deep-Thought-Computing-108442590930294

Anyway, I might be able to help, if you're not in a great hurry.

I need a replacement power switch for one of my Jaguars, here in The Netherlands.
(It's actually my BJL Jaguar, and annoyingly I rarely used the switch during it's working life.)

Any recommendations?
I can get the part from the USA for $1, but then there's $+ delivery charge, and import taxes. ?

The power switch is manufactured by Promotive and the part number is PS-22E01-G(B). Unfortunately, a quick search doesn't turn up any stock.

If you have some time to spare, you could look into online catalogs to find another similar switch with compatible characteristics (physical size, footprint and pinout).

If you can't find anything and know a cheap way to send stuff from France to the Netherlands, let me know and I'll send you one (I have a non-working Jaguar I use for spare parts).

• Like 1

On 11/11/2021 at 2:17 PM, af0l said:

I have a bit of experience in hacking the Jags myself. Nothing fancy, just replaced a couple of connectors. You might have seen a post about it here. I also run a page on FB, which is supposed to hold all my retro HW fixups, but has strangely only a couple of Atari posts :)

https://www.facebook.com/Deep-Thought-Computing-108442590930294

Anyway, I might be able to help, if you're not in a great hurry.

They have been in this state for years, so no hurry haha.  Where in Europe are you located if I may ask? Couldn't find that out from your Facebook page.

I realized I might have some luck with the local electronics servicing company as well. But first let me get some pictures up in the coming days (weeks probably!)

On 11/9/2021 at 10:30 PM, Isgoed said:

Yes, it's been a long time indeed since you posted on this forum:)

Can you put up some detailed pictures of the "victims"?

Hi! I remember your name and handle (the old PM's helped haha) but other than that, not much ?. I'll have to dig 'm up from the attic first. Will do so if I'll have some time for that.