IGNORED

2021 Atari Gamer game jam coming up!

Igor

4 hours ago, karri said:

So this means you could code using clang? And C++? What about the libraries?

Yeah. Exactly. It's actually already working to some extent. Apparently it beats CC65 in Ilmenit's tutorial benchmarks:

01-start
 cc65: 9495416
 llvm-mos: 6012211

03-smallest-unsigned-data-types
 cc65: 9204740
 llvm-mos: 3622166

04-get-rid-of-C-stack
 cc65: 7848252
 llvm-mos: 3556882

05-replace-array-of-structs
 cc65: 7388015
 llvm-mos: 3470131

06-get-rid-of-enums
 cc65: 7170008
 llvm-mos: 3321251

08-get-rid-of-parameter-passing
 cc65: 7194231
 llvm-mos: 3326267

09-replace-calculations-and-switches-with-lookup-tables
 cc65: 1622941
 llvm-mos: 513274

11-improve-array-access
 cc65: 775136
 llvm-mos: 513274

12-inline-functions
 cc65: 702467
 llvm-mos: 690483

14-llvm-mos-opts
 cc65: 1913617
 llvm-mos: 514688

About libraries there is a repository with SDK with preliminary CRT implementation for Atari and C64. I can say that if someone from this community won't add implementation for Lynx, probably no one else will do it.

4 minutes ago, sage said:

correct ;-)

but it is "a bit" more than just some jsr $FFxx

I assume that we only need to provide the bootloader, initialize Suzy and Mikey and have double buffering with a simple draw sprite. Most of the TGI library is useless.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, karri said:

I assume that we only need to provide the bootloader, initialize Suzy and Mikey and have double buffering with a simple draw sprite. Most of the TGI library is useless.

indeed. but that is more the "basic" approach to initialize everything ?

Sry I didnt had time for the game jam. But too many other open projects. So I just disqualify again. But here some work-in-progress shot. Unluckily, the theme doesnt fit ?

I had to removed the music as it is a plain copy and the graphics is still a place-holder and looks bad on original displays. Dont complain, you have been warned.

Two player is a pure co-op.

oxymo.lnx

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sage said:

Sry I didnt had time for the game jam. But too many other open projects. So I just disqualify again. But here some work-in-progress shot. Unluckily, the theme doesnt fit ?

I had to removed the music as it is a plain copy and the graphics is still a place-holder and looks bad on original displays. Dont complain, you have been warned.

Two player is a pure co-op.

oxymo.lnx 128.06 kB · 6 downloads

I think it's scary because I have no idea what I'm doing when I play it ?

41 minutes ago, Igor said:

I think it's scary because I have no idea what I'm doing when I play it ?

free download but requires a printed manual. well. here you are.

you need to find pairs which can be connected by a straight line with max two 90degree turns.

currently only identical matches, no groups (actually L Y N X should form a group, but i forgot to reactivate this feature).

• Like 1

I just published my game for the jam.

Bathman by karrika (itch.io)

I do plan to add more stuff somewhere in the middle of the game. It is a bit tedious right now.

But as my life may get in the way later this week I decided to publish it now.

The plan was to let Letitia swim around in the Couldron so that Vladimir has to aim for dropping the potions and not hit Letitia. But I don't know if I can squeeze all the thoughts in the bytes that I have left. I also wanted to change the music to whip-dance in case you fail. But probably no room for that either...

Actually. I may just do everything I planned and publish an extended version also. Of course it has nothing to do with the Jam. It just happens to be on the same page (for a higher fee, of course. I plan to charge 25% more. The normal price is 0€ so you should be able to figure out the price for the extended version.)

And for Igor: 

• Like 2

On 12/5/2021 at 8:43 PM, karri said:

I just reached the dreadful 80% complete mark a few days ago. For some strange reason I cannot get anything done. My kids drop in to say hi, baking stuff for Christmas, our independence day is tomorrow, making 3D printed white champagne glasses for the opera (it is supposed to be film-noir style). We transferred Mozarts opera "La clemenza di Tito" written in 1791 to Capitol Hill, Washington DC in modern times. I am dancing as a supporter for the emperor - lol! (Just a snapshot from the rehearsals. The white baseball caps, costumes and makeup are still missing.)

1103842558_WhatsAppImage2021-12-05at09_47_41.thumb.jpeg.c3f0cc1245e43318db6289ac853d7877.jpeg

It is amazing how history is repeating itself. Leopold II wanted to use social media (opera) to change his image with the peasants in Boheme in order to avoid the revolution (a revolution in France was ongoing 1789-1799. Mozarts opera Cosi fan tutte 1790 has been partly blamed for encouraging the people to take action.). Leopold II needed the support of the aristocrats to stay in power. So they needed to state a message.

The two first composers they asked to do this refused. Mozart was short on cash and composed his most political opera ever.

The message of the opera is that emperor Tito is compassionate with only the best of Rome in his heart.

So we changed the name of our opera to "Let's make Rome Great Again!"

I really hope to get some coding done during the week. After that the choir and the orchestra join in and all my evenings are counted for.

hi Karri,

Also, Shakespeare wrote some of his plays to gain favour with royalty like Queen Elizabeth 1.

• Haha 1

I just completed the Bathman jam entry.

Submission feed - LynxJam 2021 - itch.io

To win the game you need to deliver 30 beauty slimes to your beloved Letitia. My guess is that there is time for 35 deliveries.

I am not so good at this myself. But I produce a small video of a successful delivery.

Letitia swims along in a predictable pattern. If you miss the Couldron or hit the chick you won't get any credit of your effort.

If someone manages to leave with Letitia for the Jam please let me know. If not I may have to reduce required successful deliveries.

• Like 1

So I finally took some time to make something, and there are far more graphics than expected :D

image.png.5a52536d461acdc327a93656cca67bf2.png

So it is quite easy, you are in a labyrinth and you must find the exit.

Graphisms are in your head, so if you want the game to be a FPS in 4K resolution, that's all good, but as you play in the dark, the screen only displays your compass and remaining time (you only have 9 minutes to escape)

image.thumb.png.92674a5b3a45cb3488cfddd9b5b2bbee.png

(yes, this is the main ingame screen)

Gameplay mostly use sounds via your sonar. When your sonar hit an obstacle (wall, teleportation gate), it makes a sound. If the sonar hit a monster, the monster will shout. Time between sounds depends of distance, so if you move too fast, you may miss some important informations. 

There are also some other sound informations, like your heart (when time decrease, you heart rate increase), electromagnetic perturbations (also visibles on screen), and sometimes, if a monster see you from profile, it shouts (so from left or right as game use stereo).

The good thing is that all sonar impacts, and your moves are recorded, so it may be helpful.

How to play :

up : move forward

down : move backward

left/right : rotate

Button A/B : strafe

Option 1 : display computer screen (be careful, time is still flying when you look at computer, there is no pause)

image.thumb.png.ab4ac84169dc979e4f936e3be5b04276.pngimageproxy.php?img=&key=f4dcc336a70d5c68imageproxy.php?img=&key=f4dcc336a70d5c68imageproxy.php?img=&key=f4dcc336a70d5c68

Sorry, we wan't take the risk to give you a weapon, imagine what a monster could do to us with an ALK-97 after your death...

But, there is a good news: monsters can't move, at least, we are pretty sure they don't move, and nobody came back to tell us they move...

There are 4 difficulty modes, and from 1 to 8 level (a labyrinth) in each mode.

You can choose the 1st level you want to play, and you will always have 9 minutes to escape (so if you choose Very Easy/1 you have 9' to go throught 8 levels, and if you choose Very Easy/8, you still have 9' to go through level 8 )

This is a no real need for gameplay footage (would be a nearly black screen with 1 dot moving around a number, and a compas showing direction...), so here is the first public beta.

black_pit_alpha1.o

I hope to make a better version before sunday, but so many things to do this WE...

What could be improve/done before contest release :

- better monster shouting (for information, I'm using ABC Music for all sounds, not found an accurate shout yet)

- add legs to monsters

- add brain to monsters

- design hard level (right now, there is no exit)

Edit: emulator side:
Seems like Handy does not manage stereo, but Felyx does it well, do I would recommend to use Felyx on a computer.

Edited by Fadest
  • Like 3

@Fadest remember you have to do a submission on https://itch.io/jam/lynx-jam-2021

There was a submission I had to remove already - it was a paid game, didn't fit the theme and wasn't for the Lynx.

Making good progress on my game now that I sorted out random number generation issues I was having. Spoiler alert - it had nothing to do with the RNG but my late night coding "logic". ?

776549463_ScreenShot2021-12-11at15_55_33.thumb.png.23665834761dc56cd00723c689252e1a.png

• Like 1

@Igor Yes I know, the page is in draft mode, just need to make sexy screen shot to ... Oh wait...

@LordKraken Stereo is not so important, I wanted to use it more. Right now, it just shout in your right or left ear if there is a monster at 9° from your direction (and if it shouts)

I guess a godd 7:1 system with spatialization would fit better this kind of game :D

• Like 1

Thought of adding a green/yellow/red spot in the middle of the screen in conjunction with sound. But it would probbaly break the "immersion", I don't know. My first intention was a full black screen, but it was hard to give time without spelling numbers (digits), and compass is usefull (quite unplayable without).
Not sure I will have time to make tests this WE. I am away this afternoon/evening, and also tomorrow morning.

On 12/10/2021 at 3:18 PM, Fadest said:

So I finally took some time to make something, and there are far more graphics than expected :D

image.png.5a52536d461acdc327a93656cca67bf2.png

So it is quite easy, you are in a labyrinth and you must find the exit.

Graphisms are in your head, so if you want the game to be a FPS in 4K resolution, that's all good, but as you play in the dark, the screen only displays your compass and remaining time (you only have 9 minutes to escape)

image.thumb.png.92674a5b3a45cb3488cfddd9b5b2bbee.png

(yes, this is the main ingame screen)

Gameplay mostly use sounds via your sonar. When your sonar hit an obstacle (wall, teleportation gate), it makes a sound. If the sonar hit a monster, the monster will shout. Time between sounds depends of distance, so if you move too fast, you may miss some important informations. 

There are also some other sound informations, like your heart (when time decrease, you heart rate increase), electromagnetic perturbations (also visibles on screen), and sometimes, if a monster see you from profile, it shouts (so from left or right as game use stereo).

The good thing is that all sonar impacts, and your moves are recorded, so it may be helpful.

How to play :

up : move forward

down : move backward

left/right : rotate

Button A/B : strafe

Option 1 : display computer screen (be careful, time is still flying when you look at computer, there is no pause)

image.thumb.png.ab4ac84169dc979e4f936e3be5b04276.pngimageproxy.php?img=&key=f4dcc336a70d5c68imageproxy.php?img=&key=f4dcc336a70d5c68imageproxy.php?img=&key=f4dcc336a70d5c68

Sorry, we wan't take the risk to give you a weapon, imagine what a monster could do to us with an ALK-97 after your death...

But, there is a good news: monsters can't move, at least, we are pretty sure they don't move, and nobody came back to tell us they move...

There are 4 difficulty modes, and from 1 to 8 level (a labyrinth) in each mode.

You can choose the 1st level you want to play, and you will always have 9 minutes to escape (so if you choose Very Easy/1 you have 9' to go throught 8 levels, and if you choose Very Easy/8, you still have 9' to go through level 8 )

This is a no real need for gameplay footage (would be a nearly black screen with 1 dot moving around a number, and a compas showing direction...), so here is the first public beta.

black_pit_alpha1.o 29.54 kB · 6 downloads

I hope to make a better version before sunday, but so many things to do this WE...

What could be improve/done before contest release :

- better monster shouting (for information, I'm using ABC Music for all sounds, not found an accurate shout yet)

- add legs to monsters

- add brain to monsters

- design hard level (right now, there is no exit)

Edit: emulator side:
Seems like Handy does not manage stereo, but Felyx does it well, do I would recommend to use Felyx on a computer.

Could you post an lnx file?