IGNORED

Yars' Revenge: 7800

saxmeister

I always loved this game and just took up programming using Atari Dev Studio to program on the 7800. So I've been testing how to create artwork using the limited palette and started thinking about how to approach programming this incredible old-school game.

Simplicity and elegance in the design is hard to replicate, but I'm trying to look at the differences between the 2600 and the 7800 to think about how to approach the art style. I'm torn between 320A and 160A mode.

Attached is the first screen shot of the rough title screen (much work to be done to complete and hand drawing to fix) but I wanted to test the colors and see how I could fill in the additional colors using sprites. I based the artwork on the Commodore 64 Jars' Revenge game and the manual from the original game (which I still have!). And the in-game cutscenes I am basing off of the Gameboy Color artwork.

So far, I have it starting the game and showing Yar and using joystick controls, showing the Quotile base and most of the shield. I'm trying to figure out how to manage the array of the shield pieces that slowly deteriorates after so many shots and the main "safe zone" field. I don't know whether to stick with the original style or use a newer style that shows off the prowess of the 7800.

screenshot_preview.png

Edited by saxmeister
Added details.
  • Like 10

37 minutes ago, saxmeister said:

So far, I have it starting the game and showing Yar and using joystick controls, showing the Quotile base and most of the shield. I'm trying to figure out how to manage the array of the shield pieces that slowly deteriorates after so many shots and the main "safe zone" field. I don't know whether to stick with the original style or use a newer style that shows off the prowess of the 7800.

Looking forward to your game, it's a 2600 classic! I'm sure HSW would get a kick out of seeing it on the 7800.

It would be awesome if you used the code of the game for the Neutral Zone like he did for the 2600.

- James

image.thumb.png.7cf7a2ba323ad462707868c02a1a5cce.png

• Like 3

On 11/9/2021 at 8:08 PM, SoundGammon said:

Here's a Windows 64Bit version of Yars Revenge if you want to check it out!

YarsR Demo - x64 - 0.8.zipUnavailable

Wow! This is a great adaptation! The sounds are exact, the graphics are exact (except buttery smooth at 60fps+). I'll have too  much of a distraction now. Did you write this one? It's great!

Not a lot to go on here just yet.

I got the basic graphics from the old 2600 version and used as the basis for Yar, the base, and the seeker. Joystick controls are in place, the base is there, and the shield. The seeker is appearing but not tracking just yet. And I need to figure out how to solve the "safety zone" issue. I know the original code was genius - and I am not. So, looking for a solution that produces a similar field on the 7800.

screenshot_01_20211113.png

• Like 5