IGNORED

Atari 800 XL Remake

reifsnyderb

5 minutes ago, Spancho said:

I think DIN8 shares the same 5 pins as DIN5.

DIN13 has nothing in common so that would be a change not compatible with the current connector.

But can be remedied with an adapter cable.

In my opinion, we should go the DIN13 route to avoid case modding to use the new fancy stuff easily preserving the cases.

I believe who ever builds himself this board can do as well the adapter cable.

I just downloaded the Sophia 2 connector information.  Sophia 2 uses 16 connections (2 being grounds) on the connector.  I am not sure how to drop that to 13 pins.

The DIN8 specified in the 130XE remake was the CUI 490-SDF-80J, which is compatible with the standard DIN5 connector.
I also found a really nice, heavy metal DIN8 connector, Switchcraft 15BL8MX, a bit pricey though.

Sophia2 is just using the standard DVI connector, I believe there are some docs that list exactly which pins he is using, also that takes into account the analog VGA as well, so depending on use, pinout might be different. 

The video connector headers block in the 130XE Remake could use this idea for this purpose, people can just connect the signals they want to whichever headers that lead to the connector pin.

16 hours ago, reifsnyderb said:

UAV support with jumpers and headers.

Video improvements based off of Robert de Boer’s Atari 600 XL S-video &

composite clean video upgrade.

Concerns:

Mount points for Ultimate 1MB? (How to mount and where?)

Santosp got permission to include UAV on 130XE remake, perhaps the same could be done here?

I'd also look at Mytek's video circuit for 576 NUC, it's supposed to be UAV level as well.  If the 600XL video mod is the one I'm thinking of, when I looked at it, it seemed like a take on the old Longhorn video circuit, while decent, there are better solutions available.  I have not personally tried it though, so can't comment.

Footprint measurements for U1MB could be found on the 1088XEL gerbers.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wildstar87 said:

Santosp got permission to include UAV on 130XE remake, perhaps the same could be done here?

I'd also look at Mytek's video circuit for 576 NUC, it's supposed to be UAV level as well.  If the 600XL video mod is the one I'm thinking of, when I looked at it, it seemed like a take on the old Longhorn video circuit, while decent, there are better solutions available.  I have not personally tried it though, so can't comment.

Footprint measurements for U1MB could be found on the 1088XEL gerbers.

The 576 NUC and 1088 XEL seems to have a very similar video circuit.  I am not sure how it compares to the 600XL video mod.  

I'll check the 1088 XEL gerbers again....

23 minutes ago, reifsnyderb said:

The 576 NUC and 1088 XEL seems to have a very similar video circuit.  I am not sure how it compares to the 600XL video mod.  

I'll check the 1088 XEL gerbers again....

I'd have to go look, but I don't think it's the same, 1088XEL needs UAV for video output, but I think he did create a circuit for 1088XLD, and improved it for 576 NUC.

37 minutes ago, wildstar87 said:

I'd have to go look, but I don't think it's the same, 1088XEL needs UAV for video output, but I think he did create a circuit for 1088XLD, and improved it for 576 NUC.

So the 576 NUC may have the best video then?

Edited to add:  After looking at the 576 NUC schematic, it doesn't look like it would support UAV.

Edited to add:  After looking some more, the PIC12F1571-I/MS is a microcontroller.  So, let's keep it simple.

Edited by reifsnyderb

1 hour ago, reifsnyderb said:

I just downloaded the Sophia 2 connector information.  Sophia 2 uses 16 connections (2 being grounds) on the connector.  I am not sure how to drop that to 13 pins.

Out of the 16 connections 5 are for RGB and 11 for DVI taken that 2 are ground still 2 for stereo and separate ground is possible.

Disadvantage is that switching between RGB and DVI requires opening the case and rearranging the pin out.

Still worth for me not modifying the case.

But it is your choice you are doing all the work here designing the board layout.

Thanks for doing it.

1 minute ago, Spancho said:

Out of the 16 connections 5 are for RGB and 11 for DVI taken that 2 are ground still 2 for stereo and separate ground is possible.

Disadvantage is that switching between RGB and DVI requires opening the case and rearranging the pin out.

Still worth for me not modifying the case.

But it is your choice you are doing all the work here designing the board layout.

Thanks for doing it.

To confirm:  looking at the DVI Connector, you are thinking about using C1, C2, C3, C4, and C5.  Then keeping 2 for stereo and 1 for ground?

9 minutes ago, ZuluGula said:

I still have CRT monitors/TVs and prefer them to display video. I would make DVI optional and keep svideo. 

I agree.  DVI should be an option and svideo needs to be retained.

The idea here is this 800XL board should work out of the box, so to speak.  No upgrades should be required to get it to work.  Assemble the board, install the Atari chips, and go.  All of the upgrades are optional.  I only left out the RF modulator because it's more of a pain to get one to work anymore than not.

Edited by reifsnyderb

Ok.  Looking at an SDF-80J connector for video out.  Normally, the Atari 800 XL had a 5 pin video connector.  However, it would be possible to use this 8 pin video connector and have it "configurable" via jumpers so as to either supply analog DVI out (C1, C2, C3, C4, C5)  plus audio or the legacy monitor output with audio, chroma, luma, and video.

If I understand correctly, this would allow the necessary DVI out signals without modifying the case.

Is there any reason why we should keep the legacy 5 pin jack instead of using the 8 pin jack?

Thanks!

I agree.  DVI should be an option and svideo needs to be retained.

The idea here is this 800XL board should work out of the box, so to speak.  No upgrades should be required to get it to work.  Assemble the board, install the Atari chips, and go.  All of the upgrades are optional.  I only left out the RF modulator because it's more of a pain to get one to work anymore than not.

Is your board design started from the previous 800XL remake that was done?  

8 minutes ago, kheller2 said:

Is your board design started from the previous 800XL remake that was done?  

I thought this one was just an exact remake for people that needed new boards because of damage or whatever. This remake appears to make a lot of improvements on the original design.

3 hours ago, CharlieChaplin said:

... waiting for the 1400XL remake ?

Nah, no need for that.  A 800XL in a 1200XL case with a hacked up PBI hole is fine.  Poor cases though.  If you we want a challenge, take the 800XLF 128K board and re-do that .. basically a 130XE in a 1200XL case.  Speech and Modem are no longer really needed.  

1 minute ago, bfollowell said:

I thought this one was just an exact remake for people that needed new boards because of damage or whatever. This remake appears to make a lot of improvements on the original design.

Yes you are correct. I was just curious if this was started from scratch or was based on the previous work then modified with all the improvements.  

2 hours ago, reifsnyderb said:

To confirm:  looking at the DVI Connector, you are thinking about using C1, C2, C3, C4, and C5.  Then keeping 2 for stereo and 1 for ground?

That would be one possible setup if one once to have RGB and stereo on the DIN8.

Prerequisite is that the pin assignment can be easily changed on the PCB.

A DIN13 would give even more setup combinations including DVI.

Downside is that one needs to have an adapter cable to convert the DIN13 to the required standard connectors like DIN5 or DIN8 and chinch for audio or svideo or DVI or what ever is needed.

Ok.  Looking at an SDF-80J connector for video out.  Normally, the Atari 800 XL had a 5 pin video connector.  However, it would be possible to use this 8 pin video connector and have it "configurable" via jumpers so as to either supply analog DVI out (C1, C2, C3, C4, C5)  plus audio or the legacy monitor output with audio, chroma, luma, and video.

If I understand correctly, this would allow the necessary DVI out signals without modifying the case.

Is there any reason why we should keep the legacy 5 pin jack instead of using the 8 pin jack?

Thanks!

I think most people that are using Sophia2 are probably hooking to the digital portion of DVI, not the VGA analog signals, not sure how many signal lines there are in that.  Don't have the documentation handy though. 

12 minutes ago, wildstar87 said:

I think most people that are using Sophia2 are probably hooking to the digital portion of DVI, not the VGA analog signals, not sure how many signal lines there are in that.  Don't have the documentation handy though. 

For DVI minimum 10 pins are needed (according Sophia2 docs) plus 3 for stereo or 2 for mono plus one for composite.