IGNORED

Atari 800 XL Remake

reifsnyderb

6 minutes ago, adam242 said:

Another vote for the standard 7-pin DIN power connector. Most of us already have one (several?) and modern USB adapter cables are readily available for those who don't. Plus, the hole in the case is already the correct size for this plug.

The aforementioned XE remake board offered solder holes for both the 7-pin and barrel power jacks. Perhaps you could implement something similar?

I tried it but the newer DIN plugs all appear to have a narrow pin footprint while the old footprint was a wide footprint.  There were conflicts that would have shorted out.  

I'll stick with the DIN plug and greatly appreciate all the feedback from the community.

I think everything that's been suggested has been added in some way.  If anyone else can think of anything, please let me know.  I am planning on ordering a batch of test boards within a day or so.

I also have an Atari 600xl coming that I just picked up off of ebay.  So, once the 800xl board is running I'll move onto the 600xl.

Thanks!

Brian

Edited by reifsnyderb
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, reifsnyderb said:

I think everything that's been suggested has been added in some way. 

I'm glad that you were receptive, and I usually don't jump into other people's creation threads unless I'm asked. Since you kept responding in a positive way, I continued to respond back and make additional suggestions as well :)

It looks like this will be a very nice easily expandable re-creation for the 800XL. Now all that is needed is a brand new injection molded case, and perhaps a new micro-switch keyboard... but that'll be for another day ;)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mytek said:

I'm glad that you were receptive, and I usually don't jump into other people's creation threads unless I'm asked. Since you kept responding in a positive way, I continued to respond back and make additional suggestions as well :)

It looks like this will be a very nice easily expandable re-creation for the 800XL. Now all that is needed is a brand new injection molded case, and perhaps a new micro-switch keyboard... but that'll be for another day ;)

That would be awesome to build a completely new Atari like has been done with some other computers.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mytek said:

Now all that is needed is a brand new injection molded case, and perhaps a new micro-switch keyboard... but that'll be for another day ;)

Yeah, injection molds would be so great. Or an SLA 3D-printed version. With FDM you see all the layers, unless you do extensive post-processing.

As for a new keyboard, this could be a start:

https://github.com/ivop/project-helena

Because of personal reasons, I have not yet assembled one in a case, but the PCB is working.

Edit: I'd recommend replacing the 3-pin footprints with the 5-pin Cherry MX ones. They are way easier to solder, and get properly aligned.

Edited by ivop
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, nama said:

Not sure if this was mentioned before, but please use a more standard ROMs. The masked ROMs Atari used are a pain in terms of finding replacements or making adaptors. I'm sure you're doing this already though.

The ROMs weren't mentioned before and are Atari compatible.  What would an adapter look like?  Do you have a link? 

Keep the ideas coming as once this is working future revisions are possible.

38 minutes ago, nama said:

Not sure if this was mentioned before, but please use a more standard ROMs. The masked ROMs Atari used are a pain in terms of finding replacements or making adaptors. I'm sure you're doing this already though.

Are you talking about using something like this?   :    https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/268/doc0006-1108095.pdf

1 hour ago, nama said:

The ATARI 8K BASIC ROM is 24-pin 2364, this board already has an option to use a 28-pin 2764 EPROM as a replacement.

The ATARI OS ROM is pin compatible with a 27128 EPROM.

3 hours ago, reifsnyderb said:

That would be awesome to build a completely new Atari like has been done with some other computers.

He did! Three of them! The 1088XEL, the 1088XLD, and the 576NUC+. Of course, I think you meant more along the lines of a new A8 with built-in mechanical keyboard and all-in-one 70s-90s case styling.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bfollowell said:

He did! Three of them! The 1088XEL, the 1088XLD, and the 576NUC+. Of course, I think you meant more along the lines of a new A8 with built-in mechanical keyboard and all-in-one 70s-90s case styling.

Yeah, that's what I meant.  I know about the 1088's and NUC projects.  They are very nice.   ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While waiting for the boards to be made I've been looking for other additions.  So, I added MIDI support.  However, with the chip shortage, only sockets are installed so the board will be ready to go once the chips are back in stock.  I may adjust the silk screen instructions some more but it's clear some sort of documentation will be required.

Also, the 600XL should be here on Friday.  I am looking forward to doing the 600XL.  In some respects it should be easier as I now have all the requirements.  In another respect it will have additional challenges because of the small board.  But the experience gained doing this board should come in handy.

I can foresee the first 800XL boards are clearly beta and I'll need to make sure everything works before finalizing the 600 XL boards, of course.

UPDATE:  I just checked the tracking and the 600XL will be here tomorrow!    ?

MIDI.png

Edited by reifsnyderb
  • Like 6

Hello reifsnyderb

18 hours ago, reifsnyderb said:

So, I added MIDI support  ...  I may adjust the silk screen instructions some more but it's clear some sort of documentation will be required.

Could you please explain what Synth Select is?

It looks like it says "MIDI ... 6 GND" (J973).

If you could change J974 so that GND is in the middle that might make it a bit more fool proof.  That way, plugging the connector in the wrong way only results in right and left being on the wrong side.

Sincerely

Mathy

Edited by Mathy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Mathy said:

Hello reifsnyderb

Could you please explain what Synth Select is?

It looks like it says "MIDI ... 6 GND" (J973).

If you could change J974 so that GND is in the middle that might make it a bit more fool proof.  That way, plugging the connector in the wrong way only results in right and left being on the wrong side.

Sincerely

Mathy

If you have the Dream Blaster card installed, "Synth Select" will direct either MIDI in or MIDI out to the Dream Blaster card.

Good idea on J974.  Thanks!  It will be changed.   ?

• Like 3

Thursday I got the Atari 600XL delivered.  I've been just a "little" busy and here is the first rendering.  I still need to add some more mounting holes, notches, and the edges for the shielding but that's pretty minor.  (I should be able to get those done later on this evening.)

With the exception of the external PS/2 port, it has everything the 800XL board has.  (It supports the external keyboard, just doesn't have the port.)  

1MB SRAM, both BASIC ROM sizes, UAV, Ultimate 1MB, Sophia2, Pokeymax, SIO2PC, SIO2MIDI, Ape Warp Os Upgrade, TKII, backup keyboard connector

I was also able to add back in the keyboard resistors.   ?

Also, the beta 800 XL boards are almost finished and ready to ship to me.   ?

I've received the parts and stuff so once I get the boards I can start assembly right away.

board.png

• Like 5

On 11/13/2021 at 7:42 AM, reifsnyderb said:

Any thoughts on how to fully buffer the PBI?

yes, all data, address, and control signals need to be buffered. how is different if you want dma type access or just 1090xl type access. let me know.

oh yea, are the board files available for these yet?

Ken

Edited by kenames99
forgot to ask a question

Here's the 600xl board.  I call it the 600 XLM, with M for "Modern".  I may change the silk screen a little here and there and this is all contingent upon the 800 XLM board working as planned.  Quite frankly, the 600 XLM board will probably be ready first as I like the layout much better on this board.  With the 800 XLM board I was chasing a moving target.  Once the get the test board, confirm it works, I'll put any needed changes into the 600 XLM board and it will be ready to go.  The 800 XLM board will probably have sections re-done to make them "nicer".

board.png

bottom_left.png

bottom_right.png

top_left.png

top_right.png

• Like 3

4 hours ago, kenames99 said:

yes, all data, address, and control signals need to be buffered. how is different if you want dma type access or just 1090xl type access. let me know.

oh yea, are the board files available for these yet?

Ken

I could probably put buffering into the 800 XLM but there isn't space for the 600 XLM.  

I am thinking a 74LS245 would work as a buffer?  Would there be a difference between DMA and 1090xl?  It would be preferable to do both.   ?

I probably missed it, but what design program did you use for these, and is it free to download/use?

It seems like I've seen most of the designers on here using a package that starts with a K, but the name escapes me at the moment.

Thanks for all that you've done. These designs are looking awesome!

2 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

I probably missed it, but what design program did you use for these, and is it free to download/use?

It seems like I've seen most of the designers on here using a package that starts with a K, but the name escapes me at the moment.

Thanks for all that you've done. These designs are looking awesome!

I am using KiCad.  It's open source software and you can get it at https://www.kicad.org/.  

1 hour ago, reifsnyderb said:

I am using KiCad.  It's open source software and you can get it at https://www.kicad.org/.  

That was it. Thanks!

I just stared downloading it, but it is unbelievably, horribly slow. At this rate, it may be done downloading this time tomorrow. I'll install it and try to start learning it then.

EDIT: I switched to the European mirror. The Worldwide download site was moving at a whopping 16KB/sec. European was more like 20MB/sec. and it was done before I was even able to edit my post! It's funny how quickly we've all gotten soiled to crazy fast downloads.

Edited by bfollowell

1 hour ago, kheller2 said:

So for the 1200XL remake ... you could put a PBI header on it or even 180 degree turn so that people can install their MIO/ black box inside the 1200XL case. 

:)

I know.. I'm trolling.

A 1200XL sounds interesting.  I am not sure how memory banking would be done as Atari used a couple bits of PortB for the LED's.  Memory banking like the 800 wouldn't work as the XL's used that space for something else.  (Going off of memory I think it was the international character set.)  So, that is a question I have.  But, once I get the board dimensions, it's possible.