IGNORED

Atari 800 XL Remake

reifsnyderb

3 minutes ago, ivop said:

The two jumpers that are on the bottom left side where the WaveBlaster card hangs over.

For example, this is the new E-Wave card: https://www.serdashop.com/EWave

Got it.  I'll see what I can do.  

I just listened to that demo video on the page you linked to and it sounds great!

27 minutes ago, reifsnyderb said:

Got it.  I'll see what I can do.  

Thanks. I know the space is limited, so a really large board still won't fit, but a little more room would be nice. Overhang over SMD parts is no problem.

I just listened to that demo video on the page you linked to and it sounds great!

Yeah, it has a different timbre compared to the S2. So has the C1 I designed and Serdashop redesigned the PCB and brought it to the market. He's working on a full SMD version, the C2.

Note that I have no affiliation with Serdashop. All the money goes to him :) I got a free X2 and C1 though, for opening my design and sending some business his way :)

Edited by ivop
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, ivop said:

Thanks. I know the space is limited, so a really large board still won't fit, but a little more room would be nice. Overhang over SMD parts is no problem.

Yeah, it has a different timbre compared to the S2. So has the C1 I designed and Serdashop redesigned the PCB and brought it to the market. He's working on a full SMD version, the C2.

Note that I have no affiliation with Serdashop. All the money goes to him :) I got a free X2 and C1 though, for opening my design and sending some business his way :)

Jumpers moved.   ?

jumpers_moved.png

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ClausB said:

You might consider using Teensy 3.5 instead. Not as fast, but 5V-compatible.

I have one on hand right now.  ?  It might work fine.  But I was thinking the speed of the 4.1 would be better with the planned XEP80-II emulation.  The 4.1 also has another USB connection which could come in handy as a backup SIO2PC solution since the chip needed for SIO2PC isn't available.

Edited by reifsnyderb

On 11/28/2021 at 7:40 PM, ClausB said:

You might consider using Teensy 3.5 instead. Not as fast, but 5V-compatible.

I am looking more into the 600XL and adding a Teensy to it as well.  Since there is a lot less space on the 600XL, this may be the place for a Teensy 3.5.  It could handle the RTC and SIO2SD system as well as some other stuff, if programmed to do so.  The two tradeoffs would be it would probably not be able to emulate the XEP80-II and couldn't be a USB host.  A 600XL having a 65535 sector "hard disk" on an SD card would be awesome....if I can find the space.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ClausB said:

I think a T3.5 could emulate XEP80 using SPI and DMA, like those Arduino TVout projects on lowly AVRs.

The T3.5 is probably fast enough to do this and task swap with the other features as well.  My thought is that the speed of a Teensy 4.1 should practically guarantee there is enough time to do other processing if the interrupts are set up properly to time the composite video updates properly.  Admittedly, a Teensy 4.1 may be huge overkill but the cost of a Teensy 4.1 and 3.5 are similar.

Composite video with the Teensy 4.1 is setup similar to this article:  http://www.suppertime.co.uk/blogmywiki/2017/01/arduino-tvout/

Pins 28 and 29 will handle PWM.

U1501 handles the level shifting.  Under default conditions it would be set by the Teensy to allow the Teensy to "listen" to the signals coming in.  When the Teensy needs to respond, the Teensy can change the direction to send out a response.

Both the SIO and X80-II TX and RX lines are connected to the Teensy's serial IO pins so the serial library can be used.

I added the USB host header just because it was there.   ?

At this time there is no plan as to what jumpers do what.  They were added to allow configuration, though I suppose they could be used for IO for something or other.  My thought for the Teensy's configuration is to write a simple driver to pass one byte back and forth between the Teensy and the Atari to allow for configuration via an XIO call.

Adding composite video out to the Teensy 3.5, on the 600 board, might be possible.  I didn't allow for any space to run the joystick lines, though, for XEP80-II functionality.  While I didn't fine one, if there is another 80 column "standard" that uses SIO, 80 columns could be possible with a Teensy 3.5 via the Atari's SIO.

Teensy 41 Schematic Pic.png

• Like 1

It fits!  Atari 600XLM with Teensy 3.5.  I had to creatively move the oscillator circuits so they would be "straddled" by the Teensy.  This will provide for an SD card based "hard disk", a RTC, and the USB device port could be used for something as well.  I'll find a place to stuff the battery....probably in a vertical battery holder.

I took about an hour to determine if there would be a problem as the Teensy 3.5 is 5 volt "tolerant".  This means it's good for 5 volt inputs on the digital pins only but has only 3.3 volt outputs.  As I doubted the Atari chips would be ok with 3.3 volt outputs if +5vdc was needed I was concerned and thought I'd still need level shifters until I realized the SIO is "active" low.  So it should be just fine.   ?

Got to get back to soldering the 800XLM beta 1 board....

With_Teensy_3_5.png

• Like 7

So far the soldering is mostly going well.  Almost all the small components are on.  Some of the chips were on.  I discovered two footprints are wide but usable, one footprint is narrow but usable, and the memory footprint doesn't fit at all.  After a little searching I discovered I ordered the wrong memory chip and when I get the right chip it should fit just fine.  I'll adjust the footprint widths for what I hope to be the final versions of the boards.  I am also short a few resistors for some strange reason.  I'll look it over some more and order tomorrow.  While waiting for the parts to come in I can finish up most of the soldering, work on the cpld programming, and finish up the new 600xlm design with the Teensy 3.5.  The Teensy 4.1's should soon be in so I can also start working on their program as well.  So, lots to do yet.

For the next boards I'll see how many components are feasible to get soldered in place when the boards are made.

• Like 3

While I don't have the memory in yet, I've been working through some issues and now the TV responds to the board by displaying a white screen.  The oscillator circuit had the wrong transistors so a set of PNP transistors is hacked into place and that works.  So far, the scope is showing a working oscillator as well as signs of life on the CPU and other parts of the board.  The newest 600XLM and 800XLM boards will be updated today with the lessons learned so far.

Some sockets aren't installed yet due to their proximity to SMD devices I am still waiting for.  Once those resistors and memory are in I'll finish installing all the sockets.

The Teensy 4.1's came in today.  I can't use them with this board but the next 800XLM board will work with it.

board_progress_1.thumb.jpg.23bc52c89179c8cbed5cb81b471fdb88.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Crc_Error said:

Absolutely amazing project!  Where can one buy the finalized 600XLM and or 800XLM boards?  Also sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but what is the communication rate on the PBI bus?  

Thanks!

If there is enough interest, I'll make the 600XLM and 800XLM boards available in the future.  I hope to have this board figured out and working soon.  (Today I am figuring out how to program the CPLD chips and the correct memory should be in tomorrow.)  So, I'd guess everything except the 80 column display capability will be ready around February.  The 80 column display capability should be able to be "added" by upgrading the firmware on the Teensy.  I plan to open-source the CPLD logic and Teensy firmware, as well.  It's probably only fair because I am using public domain code as a starting point to reduce development time.

As per an article by Earl Rice (Antic, 1/1985) the parallel bus will transfer at least 100k per second.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, reifsnyderb said:

Thanks!

If there is enough interest, I'll make the 600XLM and 800XLM boards available in the future. 

I have no idea what a 600XLM would cost but I do have a 600xl with seemingly good working components but a bad board that could probably benefit from one of these beauties.   

35 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

I'd be interested if it weren't for the SMD. A recent project has shown me that my age and a slight tremor, while not really affecting me for normal soldering, really play heck with me doing any decent surface-mount soldering.

I'm hoping either @reifsnyderb offers boards with the SMD components installed (like santosp did with the XE remake) or authorizes someone else to do so. @MacRorie perhaps? I can't do SMD either, but I am almost literally drooling at the prospect of a re-imagined 600XL joining my remade XE that I built.

11 minutes ago, Crc_Error said:

The cases will they be easy to 3D print?

I don't think there were designed to be put into a new case, not that you couldn't if you designed one and had it printed. I'm pretty sure these were meant as replacements for original motherboards inside existing cases.