IGNORED

“Attack of the PETSCII robots” for 7800

mike99mccarthy

55 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

What about the Robotron controller holder for the 7800? Then you have four buttons and two joysticks in easy reach…

Well, I'm not sure that I even have two fully working Pain-lines to use. I know I don't have one of the couplers for them as I never bothered to order one. So yeah the Super Twin 78 from Edladdin would work well in that setup or the one from Retrogameboyz, but not everyone has that nor would be willing to spend extra to get that. What is needed is to find a control scheme that works well for the game's levels and likely is something everyone has already or at least easy access to. I think using a standard 2 button controller to handle both movement and firing when needed can be made to work in combo with a touchpad controller in port 2. Course it means it remains as a 1 player game but it is already so that isn't anything lost.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

Several Vectrex and Jaguar games support multiple control schemes - it would be cool if this did too.

True,

But how many people actually own the games that use those methods or own the controllers to do so? I pesonally don't other than a modified jaguar controller with an encoder on it to play Tempest 2k and Rebootroids.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 91SNESplayer said:

I wonder if it would be possible to add color to the 7800 version, and to what extent?

image.png.f0e86f03c4d3243db062bdb21cbc8be5.png

Color wise, would something like this be possible 320A? (Ignore the objects at the right side of the screen.)

Color was possible on the Atari 8-bit but only if they went with bitmapped stuff and they didn't go that route. Plus initially David was wanting it to be a true port of the PET version first. At least that is how he explained it in his videos when talking about the 8-bit version. 

Mainly to stay true with how the game was designed, he wanted the Atari 8-bit to remain in text mode graphics and in that mode the Atari apparently can only do 2 colors with forground color and text color. So it also has to do with how he wanted it to be done initially.

• Like 2

Per character coloring is a bit tricky in 320A, due to the palettes being assigned to a character object, rather than individual characters in the object. (except for 320 artifacting color, of course) 320A per tile coloring is easier, since the character objects for 3x3 tiles is doable DMAwise.

We're experimenting with a few things, but rest assured the 7800 version will be more colorful than it's current PETish incarnation. Some way, some how.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

This thread inspired me to get off my lazy half-assed collector-ass and finally buy a pair of keypad controllers (sans BASIC overlays, alas, but at least they were cheap). 

#BringIt :)

Yeah while looking for my big box of spare PSUs last night, I came upon one of I know several Star Raiders touch pads I've got. Didn't plug it in or anything, but I at least know where that one is. I've got a set of keypad controllers hiding around somewhere as well.

18 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Yeah while looking for my big box of spare PSUs last night, I came upon one of I know several Star Raiders touch pads I've got. Didn't plug it in or anything, but I at least know where that one is. I've got a set of keypad controllers hiding around somewhere as well.

Yeah, my kids bought me a NIB/never-opened Star Raiders a few years ago for Father’s Day. The Star Raiders cart box inside is still sealed (with one of those plastic tape disks that fold over the box flap), but I did open the controller box to verify that it was new/never used and still had the overlay. I’ve never actually used it though.

I have wanted a pair of keypads for BASIC for a long time but never picked them up before now. This sounded like a good opportunity. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, R_Leo_1 said:

I'd love to be able to make a splashscreen for this if that was ever on the table. Regardless, great to see this coming to 7800, looks fun!

Thanks! Once we determine the display format we'll definitely keep that in mind! 

• Like 6

On 11/17/2021 at 12:45 PM, DrVenkman said:

I’m ready!

63676876-04E3-49BE-9E50-0EA6E7E8EDE6.thumb.jpeg.9a7c4f6d10f9c26bc941ab1b0390b59b.jpeg

I really need to try and dig mine out. I think I know where mine are.... I think...

1 hour ago, SlidellMan said:

I can see dual Keyboard Controllers working, or one pro-line with one keyboard.

My only question is if the Atari can recognize more than one keypad press at a time. My guess it that it can't or it might do weird things when you do so. That being the case, it would make movement difficult since you wouldn't be able to press but one button at a time.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

My only question is if the Atari can recognize more than one keypad press at a time. My guess it that it can't or it might do weird things when you do so. That being the case, it would make movement difficult since you wouldn't be able to press but one button at a time.

You can press any two buttons held simultaneously, without a decoding problem at the console end. There's a ghosting issue that can occur with 3 buttons being held at once, depending on the buttons, but that shouldn't be a problem here.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

ZeroPage Homebrew has the EXCLUSIVE WORLD PREMIERE of Attack of the PETSCII Robots from CHUNKYPIXEL GAMES along with an interview with the developer Matt Smith @mksmith on tonight's stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:
  • Attack of the PETSCII Robots (2021 Exclusive World Premiere | WIP 7800) by ChunkyPixel Games / Matt Smith @mksmith and Mike Saarna @RevEng
  • Ghosts n' Goblins (2021 Exclusive World Premiere | WIP 7800) by ChunkyPixel Games / Matt Smith @mksmith
  • Night Knight (2021 Exclusive World Premiere | WIP 7800) by ChunkyPixel Games / Matt Smith @mksmith

(WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Would it be possible to add Jaguar 3-, and 6-button controller support to the control schemes' for the 7800?

I'm not technically-minded, but surely that would be possible.

You could add a themed keypad overlay with the game, which would be pretty cool.

It would be great having all of the controls in one place rather then having to use two seperate controllers.

It would be an excellent feature if it was.

• Like 1

@Gunther Thanks for the suggestion! These pad certainly offer the extra buttons required to make the game easier to play.  Looks like they would need an adapter to use with the 7800 and a driver written but everything on the table currently.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Progress of 7800 PETSCII is coming along nicely with Mike bringing over new features each day to our 'color' version - this is going to be a fantastic port and visual feast for the 7800 ? Just today the title screen has been added and wow, wow, wow!!

Blow Your Mind Wow GIF by Product Hunt

Mind Blown TM 

Still plenty of decisions to be made, work to be completed and lots of play-testing to be done but hopefully we will have something for David to reveal soonish... ?

• Like 10

46 minutes ago, mksmith said:

@Gunther Thanks for the suggestion! These pad certainly offer the extra buttons required to make the game easier to play.  Looks like they would need an adapter to use with the 7800 and a driver written but everything on the table currently.

Sounds like it’s time to pick up a Jaguar controller.?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

Sounds like it’s time to pick up a Jaguar controller.?

Knowing you Steve you probably have 3 sitting there already waiting ?

It's certainly much more user friendly to have something without adding an adapter but the amount of functionality makes a standard two-button controller not so easy to implement. It may require a change to how the selection words to make it 2 button friendly but well see.  As there is an existing 'Atari' adapter David has for the SNES controller that could be the best choice (and fit with other platforms) but time will tell.  Mike would have the final say on anything used as he would need to write the driver to handle it but might as well be opening to any type of controller ATM.

• Like 1