IGNORED

“Attack of the PETSCII robots” for 7800

mike99mccarthy

• 3 weeks later...

So a quick update on PETSCII.  To find some further optimisations Mike spend some time running his Heatmap tool, reworking some rendering code as well as adding an internal FPS counter. We then discovered the screen shake routine was running nearly every frame (resetting the screen position) so with these changes we have effectively doubled the FPS and the game is now running very well.

With some suggestions from David we added the ability to hold the left button to directly use the active item. This will work this way for both single and dual proline controllers and was a great addition.

Mike has worked through incorporating the SNES adapter and code provided by @Danjovic by designing a simple PCB adapter and adding/adapting the driver code to 7800basic and configured it for use in PETSCII. We are just waiting on some additional hardware so it can be refined and tested on real consoles.

We are still to finalise the player sprite but this shouldn't be much longer before we can include our artist designs and make a decision.

Outside of a few remaining tidyups the music is still under discussion and will be the remaining item to be completed.

We are super happy with where it sits and can't wait for it to be available hopefully sometime during the year ?

Edited by mksmith
Updated to attribute @Danjovic
  • Like 13

13 hours ago, mksmith said:

Mike has worked through designing a simple SNES adapter and added the driver code to 7800basic and configured it for use in PETSCII. We are just waiting on some additional hardware so it can be refined and tested on real consoles.

Correction - @Danjovic did the SNES controller interface design and assembly driver. (an open design) I just tested it, and adapted 7800basic to it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, TwentySixHundred said:

I been around however miss alot of posts due to limited time IRL ATM.

Just like to say this port is looking amazing! Great work guys, i can't wait to see the progress on this one

Thanks mate!

8 hours ago, CommodoreCEO said:

This is looking excellent. Great work on the port - I bought the Commodore PET version and really enjoyed it. The option for buying the port for the Atari 7800 would be good too!

Thanks for your consideration! Yeah it's a fun game for sure!

Just added the new level 14 map to the game so another reason the 7800 release will be right up there with the best version of PETSCII!

• Like 10

• 1 month later...
David Murray (8-Bit Guy) just posted a video update to Attack of the PETSCII Robots by Matt Smith @mksmith and Mike Saarna @RevEng in the Private FB Group for the game.

If you use FB and you're not part of that group, join up and check out the new incredible POKEY soundtrack by Noelle Aman and unbelievable updated graphics! Looking forward to playing it again on ZPH when it's ready!

- James

• Like 7

6 hours ago, dmckean said:

Ugh, I hate that you can't view any of this without joining facebook. 

Hopefully we'll have a publicly available video up soon! David publishes many videoes directly into the FB group regarding the different versions and every few months he'll put an update out on the YouTube page covering the current development states across all the platforms.

We have a few more things to finalise before I'd like to do one.

James might show it during his ZPH show news update starting in around an hour if were lucky!

https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mksmith said:

Hopefully we'll have a publicly available video up soon! David publishes many videoes directly into the FB group regarding the different versions and every few months he'll put an update out on the YouTube page covering the current development states across all the platforms.

We have a few more things to finalise before I'd like to do one.

James might show it during his ZPH show news update starting in around an hour if were lucky!

https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew

He's not going to show it as he doesn't want to violate the sanctity of the group. 

• Like 1