IGNORED

Gacek from ABBUC 2021

shanti77

This looks fantastic but, unfortunately, I am struggling to get it to run.  I can't see any other users reporting a problem so it must be something I'm doing wrong.

I'm using the Atari800 emulator, version 4.2.0, set as an Atari 800XL PAL with 64K RAM.  The title screen appears fine, the round intro screen is also fine (background graphics and bombs all ok), but when the Gacek (player) sprite appears it is corrupted.  I can move for a split second or two and then the emulator crashes.  Other games are fine.

Any thoughts?  Is it a setting I've missed?

3 hours ago, patjomki said:

Recent versions need 128k.

Ah, that's what I was missing - thanks so much!  After getting that working I tried the VBXE version which, for me, involved using a different emulator (Altirra) as I couldn't find that Atari800 had VXBE support.

Wow... I'm blown away with how good it is!  Both versions play really well, but this one looks amazing too.  Many thanks to shanti77 for such excellent work.

3 hours ago, Mousey said:

Ah, that's what I was missing - thanks so much!  After getting that working I tried the VBXE version which, for me, involved using a different emulator (Altirra) as I couldn't find that Atari800 had VXBE support.

Wow... I'm blown away with how good it is!  Both versions play really well, but this one looks amazing too.  Many thanks to shanti77 for such excellent work.

Thanks, feedback like this is motivating, I hope my next game will be even better.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Gacek final+

Small changes:
- improved screen with bonus accrual for NTSC version
- corrected letters and mummies (slight shift)

I think this is the final version.

----------------------------

VBXE version needs ATARI + VBXE + 64KB RAM

normal version needs Atari PAL/NTSC+128KB RAM 

ABBUC version needs Atari + 64KB RAM

Gacek_f+_pack.zip

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I will soon install a VBXE to enjoy this game, but the basic version is already excellent, I just regret a little that the bombs are black,

otherwise the handling is perfect, I find the same gameplay sensations with the version BombJack from 1985 on Amstrad CPC.

Edited by ricky
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, shanti77 said:

(F+1) Fixes:

-fixed blocking of letters from falling out in later levels (On this version I managed to complete all 63 levels).

----

In this and earlier versions, the flickering speed of sprites during the game can be set with the keys 1-6 (how many frames).

Nice to see games being updated this far down the line. Doesn't happen too often.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Gacek on tonight's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR BEST QUALITY

• Like 1