IGNORED

Any reason to get/install a VBXE?

55five66six

13 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Probably because it's not HTTPS - everything is moving toward secure connection so insecure sites will usually generate a warning.

Valid point.

I'll have to try this under Altirra as I don't run a real FujiNet or have an Indus-GT (I run FN-PC), I also don't have a real VBXE. Cheers Candle.

Here's what I think is the latest version of TrubTerm for use with VBXE. This one works properly with a FujiNet and CP/M.

EDIT: So yeah, this is the latest version but I've managed to fubar something. For whatever reason, I have to enable Local Echo every time I run it. Worse, the RETURN key isn't registering inside the terminal window. I can type to my heart's content, but I can't get the FujiNet to enter CP/M emulation. When I go back to 40-column mode and run ICE-T, my FujiNet's CP/M emulation is working as expected. I know this was working a few months ago last time I messed with so almost certainly user error. 

Most definitely user error! The version I posted above is the old one. I have the current (correct!) version on the CF card of my 1088XLD but it was in a different SpartaDOS X folder on one of my hard disk partitions and I forgot. I'll copy that back and post it again. Might be quicker for people to search the FujiNet subforum though, since that's where Trub posted a few months ago.

EDIT Part Deux:

Here's the version Trub posted back in May or so.

The zip contains executables for both Indus drive CP/M and a generic R: handler version. I've copied both files and the explanatory .TXT file to a standard single-density Atari DOS 2.0 compatible .ATR for anyone whose computer sneezes at a ZIP that contains a file with .COM extensions.

TT.atr

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

The zip contains executables for both Indus drive CP/M and a generic R: handler version. I've copied both files and the explanatory .TXT file to a standard single-density Atari DOS 2.0 compatible .ATR for anyone whose computer sneezes at a ZIP that contains a file with .COM extensions.

TT.atr 179.64 kB · 0 downloads

So - with this generic R: handler version, could I telnet to say Darkforce BBS and get ANSI colour or is this terminal "only" parsing and displaying characters passed to it?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

So - with this generic R: handler version, could I telnet to say Darkforce BBS and get ANSI colour or is this terminal "only" parsing and displaying characters passed to it?

I don't think it's fully ANSI compliant. Trub threw it together in that thread I talked about regarding CP/M through FujiNet.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

I don't think it's fully ANSI compliant. Trub threw it together in that thread I talked about regarding CP/M through FujiNet.

Due to the fact that 'technically' you use the A8 as a terminal to access CP/M via FN (Or the Indus-GT), how does this work exactly? You'd be using a terminal, to access a terminal?

8 hours ago, Mazzspeed said:

Due to the fact that 'technically' you use the A8 as a terminal to access CP/M via FN (Or the Indus-GT), how does this work exactly? You'd be using a terminal, to access a terminal?

The “terminal” is your Atari, running whatever terminal software you want. The CP/M implementation is part of the FujiNet device (type ATCPM at the terminal prompt to access it). Functionally, this is the same way Atari machines have always used CP/M - using the A8 running a terminal program to connect to the Z80 device over a serial interface.

• Like 2

which how most s-100, card bus, cpm machines did things until they started down the video card path many many many years later when the CP/M push for machine unity came along. VBXE could do a nice job of it no doubt

Edited by _The Doctor__

8 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

The “terminal” is your Atari, running whatever terminal software you want. The CP/M implementation is part of the FujiNet device (type ATCPM at the terminal prompt to access it). Functionally, this is the same way Atari machines have always used CP/M - using the A8 running a terminal program to connect to the Z80 device over a serial interface.

I understand how the A8 works accessing the CP/M environment as a terminal using terminal software, and I understand S-100 bus based machines work in basically the same manner via RS232. My question is: Is this software for CP/M another terminal running under the CP/M environment, or is it software similar to TCPSER? I'm a little confused as to how this software provides hardware 80 columns with full colour ANSI support as I'm not aware of terminal software on the Atari side that has such functionality.

Edited by Mazzspeed

5 hours ago, Mazzspeed said:

I'm a little confused as to how this software provides hardware 80 columns with full colour ANSI support as I'm not aware of terminal software on the Atari side that has such functionality.

As I already replied above, it's not ANSI compliant. It provides 80 column support by directly utilizing the VBXE in the Atari. The VBXE hardware 80-column mode is fully capable of being driven in an ANSI-compliant terminal program if one existed. There is one that someone started years ago called ANSI Term or something but it is very rough and was never finished. 

• 9 months later...
2 hours ago, Mathy said:

Lotharek showed a PCB of VBXE version 3.0 on facebook a while ago.  Don't know what's different, since he only showed the PCB, he didn't say anything about it.

Well if I was contemplating such a thing, I would minimally have it interface via HDMI or at least DVI.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

Here's the picture of VBXE 3:

444131509_VBXE3.thumb.jpg.b9ddb6fb2fdd370a8542b2501a45223a.jpg

If this is what I think it is, and it beats the Sophia2 to market somehow (e.g., CPLDs and FPGAs are obtainable) then it looks like a better way to go. And if the cost is not to far north of the original VBXE, then it definitely would be the better option even when the Sophia 2 once again becomes available.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mytek said:

If this is what I think it is, and it beats the Sophia2 to market somehow (e.g., CPLDs and FPGAs are obtainable) then it looks like a better way to go. And if the cost is not to far north of the original VBXE, then it definitely would be the better option even when the Sophia 2 once again becomes available.

I pray it comes out and VBXE can finally get some traction.  Seeing it made me resume coding!

• Like 4