IGNORED

Atari SA releasing limited run 2600 cartridges.

Nall3k

I am very excited, although ouch on the wallet. I don't think money will allow me to buy all three at this time, so I'll probably get Aquaventure as that game is really good. Also will go for the standard editions; for $450 total maybe it should come with a free VCS Onyx. :) Wonder who is making the carts? AtGames. LimitedRun, PowerA?

• Like 2

Good morning. I actually joined this forum almost 20 years ago but haven't been active since 2012, around the time my son was 5-6 years old and I was getting him into my old Atari 2600 VCS. After seeing this ad on an 80s Reddit sub that I'm a member of, I immediately remembered this forum and wanted to pop back in to see what you all thought about it.

Truthfully, I was kinda excited about the Yars' Return title since the original was one of my favs back in the day, but the other two looked interesting as well. No way I can afford to buy all 3, so I wanted to see what everyone else thought. 

Man, it's been a long time. I totally forgot that Atari had released that new VCS thing. I've been pretty out of touch, but I still have my old system and games, and luckily my son still likes to play it too. I'm interested in seeing what kinda homebrew titles are out there that are worth getting, if people don't think these are a worthy investment. 

Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks for reading, and it feels great to be back after all these years.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

I may be wrong, but wasn't Yars' Return a homebrew from 2005 that was done by Dennis Debro?  I could swear it was a pack-in that was specifically made for the FB2.  But, the articles I find say that he made edits to the software, so I'm not sure of the origin of Yars' Return.  I was pretty sure it wasn't a 70's/80's title that was never released.

• Like 6

Seems it's just the bare cartridge for $50 (along with a download code). No box or manual. Just not worth it if that's the case. But $150 for a proper boxed copy is insane. I'm considering buying all 3 boxed copies, but it's hard to pull the trigger. With tax and shipping we are talking close to $500 for 3 Atari 2600 games. And I always regret these purchases. I've bought a few Limited Run games and after a few months always end up selling or trading them away, never even opening them.

Edited by livingonwheels
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, livingonwheels said:

Seems it's just the bare cartridge for $50 (along with a download code). No box or manual. Just not worth it if that's the case. But $150 for a proper boxed copy is insane. I'm considering buying all 3 boxed copies, but it's hard to pull the trigger. With tax and shipping we are talking close to $500 for 3 Atari 2600 games. And I always regret these purchases. I've bought a few Limited Run games and after a few months always end up selling or trading them away, never even opening them.

Never do impulse buys. And I agree that the price seems too high. $50 for collectors edition and $25 for loose is more reasonable.

• Like 7

Yes, no mention of a box in the limited version. Plus the poster, pin, and other items are just filler in my opinion. It includes a download code, so lets face it, we won't open these and will never see these extras except perhaps the certificates of authenticity. Circus Convoy I paid $100 for, but that just seems way more special for some reason.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Razzie.P said:

Some of the articles I'm seeing are making it sound like Yars Return was a "rare, lost game from back in the day."  I was confused because I always thought it was a homebrew, and seeing some of the comments here, that seems to be the case.

Yes, this most certainly is not a "rare, lost game from back in the day", it was programmed by Dennis Debro for the Atari Flashback consoles.

..Al

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Albert said:

Yes, this most certainly is not a "rare, lost game from back in the day", it was programmed by Dennis Debro for the Atari Flashback consoles.

..Al

I do see on their site, they credit "Designer: Howard Scott Warshaw" for Yar's Return. Furthermore, they also say "Yar’s Return was created by Howard Scott Warshaw and slated for release in 1983." So, with the comments above about Dennis Debro and these from Atari's site, not sure what's going on there! I do know Howard has mentioned even within the last year he has an idea for a sequel, but sounded like he was going to outsource the coding and just be the designer. 

• Haha 4

I begrudgingly bought the bare cartridge of Aquaventure, but I can’t imagine paying that for any other ”lost game”. I want a box and manual, but not for a hundred bucks. I see Atari SA is trying to recreate the great video game crash with limited edition game releases ?

FYI, you don’t even get the download for $50. Just the cart.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6