IGNORED

Atari SA releasing limited run 2600 cartridges.

Nall3k

2 hours ago, Mockduck said:

I am very excited, although ouch on the wallet. I don't think money will allow me to buy all three at this time, so I'll probably get Aquaventure as that game is really good. Also will go for the standard editions; for $450 total maybe it should come with a free VCS Onyx. :) Wonder who is making the carts? AtGames. LimitedRun, PowerA?

Whoever it is,  I hope they got cash up front.

Pass.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, livingonwheels said:

Yes, no mention of a box in the limited version. Plus the poster, pin, and other items are just filler in my opinion. It includes a download code, so lets face it, we won't open these and will never see these extras except perhaps the certificates of authenticity. Circus Convoy I paid $100 for, but that just seems way more special for some reason.

It is more special to have the original artists create new games than to have a crypto holding company leverage their purchased assets for return on investment :) 

Some of the articles show boxes, although I'm not sure which tier would include them. Funny that the Atari logo is upside down:

yWZGFs1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Just now, DefaultGen said:

Some of the articles show boxes, although I'm not sure which tier would include them. Funny that the Atari logo is upside down:

yWZGFs1.jpg

Dood. That's sooo bad for marketing. How the heck did they let that pass? Looks like a botched panel placement in the 3D box render. Ugh. That's some sketchy shit. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

It is more special to have the original artists create new games than to have a crypto holding company leverage their purchased assets for return on investment :) 

yWZGFs1.jpg

I noticed that too. If you look at the bottom of the XP page, they say "futuristic since 1973" but shouldn't it be 72? It's like bruh, come on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Albert said:

Yes, this most certainly is not a "rare, lost game from back in the day", it was programmed by Dennis Debro for the Atari Flashback consoles.

..Al

Correct.  This was a Flashback II game.  If my fading memory serves, the game coding was originated by the group that did the manufacturing of the Flashback II consoles & Dennis cleaned it up.  Dennis, if I have that wrong, my apologies.  The work I did with Curt on the Flashback Engineering Team seems so recent, and yet I seem to be forgetting more and more of it every day.  Sucks to get old.  RIP Curt.  ?  

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, livingonwheels said:

All cartridges will include a digital copy of the game playable on the Atari VCS.

But aren't these games already included on the Atari VCS?

All three are in Atari Vault 2, which is what?  $20  

VCS comes with Vault 1,  Vault 2 is an optional purchase.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, zzip said:

All three are in Atari Vault 2, which is what?  $20  

VCS comes with Vault 1,  Vault 2 is an optional purchase.

Atari Vault Volume 2 is $5 on PC and the VCS and includes all three of the games being released. Aquaventure has proven to be super fun, so I jumped on the $50 cart for that. I was of the impression I was buying a box and cart, but perhaps I am incorrect. Whatever either way. Not gonna go for the $150 editions, just not gonna happen.

So, these games do already exist on the VCS, but it sounds like Atari will be releasing new roms for them standalone in the VCS Store. I should also mention that VCS owners get a special section in Antstream for Atari games, and that section also includes these three games. 

The Vault also has Save Mary and Return to the Haunted House. Wonder if those will get this treatment in the future?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

Ok, looks like the standard and presumably limited editions do have a box, although that is not called out in the text but rather the images. The image on the Limited does not include the box, strangely enough, but the Standard edition has: 

aquaventure_cartridgeBox_back_1080x.jpg?

Very Interesting they have images for the Standard Editions, but...not the ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY DOLLAR editions ;) 

48 minutes ago, Kaboomer said:

I do see on their site, they credit "Designer: Howard Scott Warshaw" for Yar's Return. Furthermore, they also say "Yar’s Return was created by Howard Scott Warshaw and slated for release in 1983." So, with the comments above about Dennis Debro and these from Atari's site, not sure what's going on there! I do know Howard has mentioned even within the last year he has an idea for a sequel, but sounded like he was going to outsource the coding and just be the designer. 

What's your take on the above text Albert?

Here are my two cents. I like the idea of Atari releasing limited editions of games for their older systems. For $150, I would consider it if it was a licensed game like Gremlins, Halloween, ET, etc... (Something that isn't already available on Vault).

$50 is a much more reasonable price.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Yurkie said:

What's your take on the above text Albert?

I know for certain that Dennis Debro worked on this game. It's possible another team created it initially and he helped fix issues with it later.  We'll need to ask @DEBRO for clarification.  There may have been intent to release a sequel to Yars' Revenge back in the day, but I believe this Yars' Return game was created from scratch in (or around) 2005.

..Al

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure I have this game on 2600 already.

I really don't understand how they can say this?

Its also not clear if the cart they're selling for 50$ is functional on an original system or just a peace of expensive plastic with a digital code for VCS Linux console.

image.thumb.png.60c30ead6d1670eb2750807bdb1582ff.png

EDIT: Oops read wrong ic theirs is "Yars Return (not revenge)".

However does it work on original hardware? I don't see this info anywhere.

Would be funny if these are just native Linux games and not even 2600 ROMs.

Edited by zezba9000

1 hour ago, Albert said:

Seems I am not charging nearly enough for boxed games..  :ponder:

..Al

I know, right? 
Too many people are trying to be Albert, but there is ONLY ONE Albert. ?
$150 limited is insane. Keep doing what you are doing, Albert, especially putting the older releases up on Ebay for easy Purchase. 
You created thiscategoryy of Atari Product and so far no one else has been able to compete with you very well. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1