IGNORED

Atari SA releasing limited run 2600 cartridges.

Nall3k

3 minutes ago, ZuluGula said:

@Albert, I thought that they will recycle old games like you, or buy new shells from @Sikor. Just kidding.

Maybe we will get a new source of shells for hombrews? 

I may buy a large batch of shells from Sikor to tide me over until I have my own 2600/7800 shells complete.  Will be interesting to see what Atari's shells will look like, but I imagine they will be very similar to the original design(s).  Curious if they will go for the complex, original four-piece (plus screw, plus spring) design.

..Al

• Like 5

Just want to reiterate (and then I will shut my pie hole about it if no one cares but me) that Aquaventure and Yar's Return are both available on cartridge to purchase right now for the Evercade handheld, on Atari Collection 1, and soon to be with the Evercade Vs console when it comes out.  So they can't say they've never been released before, or even say "yeah they were out for some Flashbacks", or even say it's their first release on cartridge.  Because they were and are out and available to purchase right now.  For $20 for the whole collection, or free with any bundle of Evercade.  With a hard case, and color manual.

https://evercade.co.uk/cartridges/atari-collection-1/

Atari-Collection-1.jpg

AT1AQ1_hd.png

AT1YR.png

Atari Collection Aquaventure manual scan.jpg

Atari Collection Yars Return Evercade manual scan.jpg

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Hydro Thunder said:

Just want to reiterate (and then I will shut my pie hole about it if no one cares but me) that Aquaventure and Yar's Return are both available on cartridge to purchase right now for the Evercade handheld, on Atari Collection 1, and soon to be with the Evercade Vs console when it comes out.  So they can't say they've never been released before, or even say "yeah they were out for some Flashbacks", or even say it's their first release on cartridge.  Because they were and are out and available to purchase right now.  For $20 for the whole collection, or free with any bundle of Evercade.  With a hard case, and color manual.

Atari-Collection-1.jpg

AT1AQ1_hd.png

AT1YR.png

Atari Collection Aquaventure manual scan.jpg

Atari Collection Yars Return Evercade manual scan.jpg

It's marketing. The whole thing seems catered to collectors who want that veil of "official" and limited. I like the limited edition packaging, just don't know if I would pay that price, but to each their own.

Although these games have been released in multiple compilations for modern systems, the point of these products is that they are official Atari cartridges that are usable on original Atari hardware. I myself also have the games on several compilations (including the Evercade cartridge that @Hydro Thunder mentioned above), and I'm not terribly interested in getting these cartridges for myself (especially if they don't drastically improve the boxes and labels from the renders they've shown).

I do think it's good that the current Atari felt inspired to engage in such a venture. I just hope (like others here have already said) that they are able to work with longtime members of the Atari fan community, who have already demonstrated that they can devote the effort and skill to producing a polished and attractive product. This should hopefully carry over to future products as well.

• Like 3

I don't know what to make of all this.. I can tell you that the folks I know in my part of town don't really know much (if anything) about the new vcs. But they all know and love and remember the original VCS from 1977. They remember the good times. The simplicity of the games. Newness of the artform. The whole Atari aura. More of the gaming audience has less time for long campaign-style, full-length games of today. In-depth games that take weeks and months to complete remain the domain of a certain age-range that isn't as relevant compared against all others. Not hard to figure it out.. The original VCS' short learning curve, simplicity, and just plain fun, remains very attractive today.

Many are (were) surprised when I tell them that there's new games of high quality being made today. Of course the downside is in order to play them they gotta go to ebay and get a console. And then do a cleanup and mod for modern display. Not an ideal solution.

It'd be nice to have a modern freshly manufactured VCS that plays all cartridges, and not have to fart around with making it ready. Especially if it's true to the 1977 original in every functional detail. Every hobby project or recreation or re-release has always always come up short in some manner or incompatibility or just plain-ol' functional difference. At least I haven't seen one up to the task.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 5200Fanatic said:

Too expensive IMHO. 

While I agree that the Limited Edition version is overpriced (maybe $100 max if you don't factor in the limited run), I don't think it's fair to say $50 for a boxed cartridge with manual is too much. That's well in line with standard homebrew pricing. I think they could have easily done $40 since they no doubt will have higher volume than your average homebrew, but it's not exactly outside the norm. Of course, they did themselves no favors by botching the initial reveal and making it seem like it was $50 for just a cartridge and that the Limited Edition didn't even have a box.

• Like 2

On 11/19/2021 at 3:24 PM, Hydro Thunder said:

The Flashbacks, disc and cartridge (and digital) via the Flashback Classics, Legends Ultimate, Evercade, etc. There has been no shortage of availability of these games from licensed sources. I don't think it's unwarranted or in any way inaccurate for Atari to say that these are available for first time on cartridge for the Atari 2600 officially from Atari. As has been consistent with the launch of these, the messaging has been sloppy, so they haven't used the right wording. 

• Like 6

The $50 releases are priced fairly, now that we know you do get a box and manual. The LE version is at least $50 too much for what's been shown (and what the hell is "special plastic"?).

I like the idea of this and would love to see it grow into something better. There’s room for all types of releases that, if handled correctly, could greatly improve the name of Atari in the retro-gaming community. They could also go all-in and release updates of the classic consoles either by re-engineering to allow for output to modern displays or FPGA re-implementations. The tech for either approach exists and could be implemented with minimal engineering and/or licensing.

There’s a whole market for modern ways to play these old games with Analogue, Hyperkin, RetroUSB, PolyMega, AtGames and more all putting things on the market. Obviously they sell and we’re sorely lacking in quality methods of playing any of the classic Atari stuff. Just don’t build yet another mediocre emulation box and I firmly believe it will sell.

Most likely though this will be half-assed and end up sputtering out after shipping out “something” 13 months too late.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2021 at 2:26 PM, Albert said:

I really hope they haven't printed anything based on what we've seen so far.

..Al

To me personally this entire thing screams nothing has been printed yet. I'm guessing they will use the money from pre orders to fund the production costs of the final games/etc... but with prices like that I doubt they will raise the needed money, just my hunch though..

On 11/16/2021 at 4:51 PM, ianoid said:

"only 1,983 copies of each limited edition cartridge will be made"

That seems like a very hopeful number of boxed games for $150 apiece. 

I wonder what the highest print run has been of any Atari Age release?

This is the same thing I said when audacity made serial numbers up to 5000 for Circus Convoy, it's just not feasible in this scene (and their game was mostly $60 and was actually pretty damn good) selling nearly 6000 boxed games at $150 each is not going to happen in my opinion, not even close...

• Like 2

On 11/21/2021 at 1:45 AM, Keatah said:

It'd be nice to have a modern freshly manufactured VCS that plays all cartridges, and not have to fart around with making it ready. Especially if it's true to the 1977 original in every functional detail. Every hobby project or recreation or re-release has always always come up short in some manner or incompatibility or just plain-ol' functional difference. At least I haven't seen one up to the task.

3 hours ago, TwoShedsWilson said:

They could also go all-in and release updates of the classic consoles either by re-engineering to allow for output to modern displays or FPGA re-implementations. The tech for either approach exists and could be implemented with minimal engineering and/or licensing.

I agree with both of the above comments. I'd love to see a modernized version of the 2600, with the ability to connect to HDMI for a crisp, clean image on today's TVs. (Maybe toss in 7800 cartridge compatibility, too.)

They could also remake the controllers (e.g. joysticks, paddles) with modern components so they are more durable and reliable, and less prone to wear or "drift". The new controllers could be used with the original consoles as well.

I'd also like a modernized Lynx that's more compact, with a high-quality screen and long-lasting battery, with the ability to use the original cartridges.

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Agent X said:

I'd also like a modernized Lynx that's more compact, with a high-quality screen and long-lasting battery, with the ability to use the original cartridges.

I am really looking forward to the Analogue Pocket. Should have mine this month (but the Lynx adapters are still in production).

I would be so into a modern FPGA HDMI 2600 or preferably 7800 with full compatibility. I love my weekly screen time with the CRT but they will probably not survive forever…

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Crazy Climber said:

This is the same thing I said when audacity made serial numbers up to 5000 for Circus Convoy, it's just not feasible in this scene (and their game was mostly $60 and was actually pretty damn good) selling nearly 6000 boxed games at $150 each is not going to happen in my opinion, not even close...

I think they would have more success at something like $200 you get all three games in nicer clamshell boxes (think Genesis) that fit in a slip cover with spine that line up for some branding for this program or nice art that touches on all three releases. Maybe even a booklet with some info about the games or whatever. Then toss in your trinkets and nonsense and I think you have a more compelling package that would sell.

Something that says some effort and care were put into this vs. "we put crap in a box so you buy it!"

• Like 4

4 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

I would be so into a modern FPGA HDMI 2600 or preferably 7800 with full compatibility. I love my weekly screen time with the CRT but they will probably not survive forever…

..provided it's made of quality materials and design of course. The Retron77 is so flimsy and thin that they glue metal weights inside to make it seem beefier. Why not just use heavier plastic like the original VCS?

• Like 4

21 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

I am really looking forward to the Analogue Pocket. Should have mine this month (but the Lynx adapters are still in production).

OK I'm jealous, I was one of the people who sat for that 90 seconds of hell at the delivery screen and never completed it. Was at a family meeting and totally got my phone out in the hopes of snapping it up! 

It did feel like the retron 77 was a missed trick of supporting 7800 games, but hey ho. Re-release/late release of 7800 games in a similar vein to these 2600 ones would have possibly worked if there was more availability to play them. There numerous ways of playing 2600 games. Perhaps technology will get to a point where custom prints are available and affordable. 

• Like 3

I'd love it if a cool company* would make an HDMI out, preferably also with stereo audio out, FPGA 2600 or 7800...Or my Favorite idea for some reason;  A 2600 (Light or Heavy Sixer) look-alike that also played 7800 games (and/or Lynx and 5200 games while we're dreaming)...

*And by this I am referring to Analogue.

• Like 5