IGNORED

Atari SA releasing limited run 2600 cartridges.

Nall3k

I still have my 2600 adapter for my 5200 and I'm "GAME ON!" for some new action, looks like these three games might be (hopefully in the short future) reviewed on The Atari Report once I get my hands on them and play them long enough to understand the gameplay. I'm especially looking forward to seeing Yars' Return on an actual 2600 (or 2600 adapter) and comparing it to the version on my Flashback 9 I also (still) have as well.

40 minutes ago, groundtrooper said:

I just saved a whole bunch of money by playing these versions. That have supposedly never been released before. emoji23.pngemoji1787.png61577d26cb6e6ab7622eaabb8408add1.jpg

And you didn't have to support those corporate,   No...No ...Not gonna say it.

Good Job!  is what I meant to say.

Edited by GoldLeader
You should have seen it before. It was my truthful and unbridled opinion, and something tells me I was headed for trouble so....
  • Like 2

Where did you get them? I know you can get Saboteur in the AA Store, but what about the FB2 ones with box & instructions?  Just terrific!

The FB2 titles were a VERY limited offering a long time ago. Curt Vendel and CPUWIZ collaborated on the set from what I understand. I have read and heard that there were only 5-6 sets offered.

There were 11 games in the set. a7381252241300c1798a76f459d9e7ab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 6

44 minutes ago, groundtrooper said:

The FB2 titles were a VERY limited offering a long time ago. Curt Vendel and CPUWIZ collaborated on the set from what I understand. I have read and heard that there were only 5-6 sets offered.

Oh wow, I did not know about these.  I still have my FB2+ thankfully.  But these look like great releases, and coming from Curt and CPUWiz is even better.  Great stuff.  ?

• Like 3

10 hours ago, groundtrooper said:

I just saved a whole bunch of money by playing these versions. That have supposedly never been released before. emoji23.pngemoji1787.png61577d26cb6e6ab7622eaabb8408add1.jpg

There not the same as the XP versions.

The XP games have been debugged and enhanced; ergo, never released before.

Enough with the blatant misinformation please.

None of thos are official; they're repro's, and not even official ones.

Edited by Gunther
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, groundtrooper said:

The FB2 titles were a VERY limited offering a long time ago.

You’ll sell yours for less than the Atari SA releases, though? I’d take one!

Saboteur is the same price from AtariAge and Atari SA. I prefer the artwork of the AtariAge version, though.

@Gunther a release from Curt Vendel in the Flashback 2 era is as official as an Atari SA release now is, if not moreso.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

Saboteur is the same price from AtariAge and Atari SA. I prefer the artwork of the AtariAge version, though.

@Gunther a release from Curt Vendel in the Flashback 2 era is as official as an Atari SA release now is, if not moreso.

Were those carts officially released by ATARI?

If the answer is no (which it is), then the ATARI XP will be the first time ATARI have put these games on carts, ever.

Edited by Gunther
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

I agree, and I will take a set as well. Guess there are 9 sets left for less than $50 then. :) Seems disingenuous to say that since person X was able to grab a sneaky homebrew effort a long time ago that anyone can "just save money" by getting the physical releases today. Yeah, you can play the ROMs for free, but that one-off effort isn't at all equivalent to a theoretically wider commercial release. It remains to be seen how different or updated they are, but they claim to be doing something at least.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, groundtrooper said:

Nice FB2 collection.?

4 hours ago, Gunther said:

There not the same as the XP versions.

The XP games have been debugged and enhanced; ergo, never released before.

Enough with the blatant misinformation please.

None of thos are official; they're repro's, and not even official ones.

Does it matter if they're official? They're carts I can play on my 2600.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, BONEMAN said:

Does it matter if they're official? They're carts I can play on my 2600.

It does because that's exactly as they are offered on the ATARI XP website.

I have no idea why people keep missing this as it's literally printed on their website!

Like I said, stop spreading mis-information.

5 minutes ago, Gunther said:

It does because that's exactly as they are offered on the ATARI XP website.

I have no idea why people keep missing this as it's literally printed on their website!

Like I said, stop spreading mis-information.

How is he spreading misinformation?  He's stating they are 2600 carts that work on his console.  He's not saying the cartridges that Atari is offering will not work on the 2600.  Stop playing policeman here, please. 

..Al

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Hmm Curt Vendel basically was the entire inspiration behind the Flashback series of consoles, pitched the ideas, the driving force behind getting them made. Curt worked with Roman (CPUWiz) on the set of physical releases for the (at the time) exclusive new games to the FB2 console. That's damn near fucking official to me in my eyes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mayhem said:

Hmm Curt Vendel basically was the entire inspiration behind the Flashback series of consoles, pitched the ideas, the driving force behind getting them made. Curt worked with Roman (CPUWiz) on the set of physical releases for the (at the time) exclusive new games to the FB2 console. That's damn near fucking official to me in my eyes.

Thanks @Mayhem - Since you were the original owner of my set I appreciate your input. Yes it wasn't a mass release. But it was a release that involved Curt and he was the brainchild of the FB2 and Yars' Return.

• Like 1

I guess for me the one-off release would be relevant if there was still opportunity, but since it is just a historical "at one point you could have bought one if you knew the right people and jumped on it", it isn't something you can point to or use as an alternative to buying an AtariXP release in 2022. 

• Like 4

If this is how the new Atari fans that just came here are going to act, then I want nothing to do with this French "brand squatter" that only bought the name of the original company... ?

And the same goes to so-called retrogamers who are only into collecting and hoarding...

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Gunther said:

No's the answer.

No disrespect toward the user posting this, honestly and sincerely.

But the answer to "Were those carts officially released, promoted, and marketed officially by ATARI?" is:

Irrelevant, and of concern to no one anywhere.  Same with any Activision or Imagic game.  Your thinking isn't on a logical track here, Atari is a brand name that's been handed off to different opportunists over time and is by no means "official" in any way shape or form at this stage.  People who read these forums know their history and understand this.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Hydro Thunder said:

Atari is a brand name that's been handed off to different opportunists over time and is by no means "official" in any way shape or form at this stage.

This is kind of the “No True Scotsman” fallacy. Well, the REAL Atari ended when Warner bought it. Well, the REAL Atari ended when Nolan was fired. Well, the REAL Atari ended when Al Alcorn left, or David Crane, or HSW, or so on. Well, the REAL Atari ended when Tramiel took over Atari Inc. Well, the REAL Atari ended when Infogrames bought them. And so on.

Me, I don’t really care what is “real”. The prices they are charging for these are in line with homebrew from anybody else. They seem to be trying hard to present these in a historically relevant way, and doing so with a humility and an openness to improvement that is rare in the videogame industry (after admittedly a HORRIBLE announcement window for this line). I really like the Recharged series and the NuVCS controllers, I think they’ve done about as well with the NuVCS as was possible for a fairly confusing concept, and I’m excited about the new games they’re publishing.

There are a lot of people whose reach exceeds their grasp in the “retro reboot” arena, and Atari SA seems to have a better reach/grasp ratio than most if you ignore the crypto and hotel and speakerhat stuff and just focus on the games.

• Like 6