IGNORED

Atari SA releasing limited run 2600 cartridges.

Nall3k

10 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Don’t get me wrong, I like it a lot. But what I am looking for in Atari 2600 games is very much the same thing over and over again with some variations and an increase in challenge. Frostbite is doing the same thing over and over again. Dolphin is doing the same thing over and over again. Seaquest is doing the same thing over and over again. Space Invaders and Pac-Man are doing the same things over and over again. Knocking a 2600 game for repetition is kind of like criticizing a Wario Ware game for randomness.

I guess it can vary based on complexity and if it's open ended or time constrained.  Dolphin is a great example of game I can put a lot of time into even though it's pretty repetitive.  It does have some variation as the game plays to keep it interesting.  Compare to games like Barnstorming (and similar) which I enjoy, but it's only a couple minutes of entertainment before I'm swapping out to a new cart.

• Like 1

New XP announcements. 10 carts in 6 months. The first are Adventure (previously announced) and Missile Command. I imagine the rest will be commons too.

- Limited Edition only

- $100

- Box, manual, light up cart, patch and enamel pin

- Atari 50 gatefold packaging

- Preorder at AtariXP and LRG through 7/31

- Shipping in August

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/atari-xp-2600-missle-command-adventure/

Adventure_AllShot_Angled_1080x.png

MissileCommand_AllShot_Angled_1080x.png

Adventure_CartInBox_1080x.png

MissileCommand_CartInBox_1080x.png

Here's the big issue with these. Missile Command is dirt common. Great game but I'm willing to bet most of us have several copies. It's a hard proposition at $100.

Adventure is a bit less common and prices have spiked thanks to Ready Player One and now Stranger Things. It's an easier sell given where the market is.

Current pricecharting for reference.

The packages do look very nice!

Screenshot_20220628-161648_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220628-161600_Chrome.jpg

• Haha 1

Maybe we can get the ultra rare Combat, and the ever elusive PacMan for only $75 a piece.  What about ET - that has to be worth $200 since it has such legendary status.  If they make it, I hope they produce at least 4 million.

• Haha 10

$100 is still a bit much, considering you can purchase new CIB homebrews (from the AA Store) for $50 - $60.  

If Adventure and Missile Command are selling for $100, I wonder what Atari will ask for HSW’s sequel to Yars’ Revenge?

• Like 2

Unless the game programs themselves have any added value, the whole promotion remains a collector milking exercise, unfortunately. 

If they'd beef up the roms a bit and include an in-game menu (like the great omegamatrix ones) or  some trivia on-cart (programmer credit, game history or such) there would at least be some superficial novelty to these re-releases.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nathan Strum said:

Wonder if they're paying Warren Robinett and Rob Fulop anything...? You know... out of courtesy. Respect. A tiny little "thank you". That sort of thing. :ponder: 

I know they wanted to find Gary Shannon so they could send him a free copy of Aquaventure and some other stuff, so I assume they're doing the same thing with the other authors.

33 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

Sadly it won't be available for the Atari 2600 (yet) even though he says it was designed on it? I wonder why he, or the company that's publishing it, is holding back on putting it out the completed(designed?) 2600 version for the release?

From the Article:

"It’ll be on a number of platforms, It’s not initally going to be a 2600 game but it’s going to be a game that could be developed on the 2600 because it was designed on the 2600."

- James

13 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Sadly it won't be available for the Atari 2600 (yet) even though he says it was designed on it? I wonder why he, or the company that's publishing it, is holding back on putting it out the completed(designed?) 2600 version for the release?

BOOOOOOOO!  That is so weird!  Not OK!

On 6/29/2022 at 12:28 AM, sramirez2008 said:

$100 is still a bit much, considering you can purchase new CIB homebrews (from the AA Store) for $50 - $60.  

If Adventure and Missile Command are selling for $100, I wonder what Atari will ask for HSW’s sequel to Yars’ Revenge?

These are the limited edition style with the light up marquee. Presumably if they do a regular version for The Son of Yar it will be priced at $50 like their other regular releases.

On 6/28/2022 at 11:46 AM, Mockduck said:

Anyone feel like spending $1000 to $1500 for 10 boxed common Atari games but with sweet 2022 packaging? Me, if I had that money to burn, I'd be hitting up rare carts here and on eBay. They look sweet, though, love the light up idea.

I could see getting one of these for one of my favorite games, and Missile Command is almost there. Yars Revenge and Gravitar might be the only Atari published games that hit that threshold for me.

EDIT: and Solaris and Fatal Run. Oh man, Fatal Run!!! NTSC!!!! Do it Atari SA!!!

2 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

I could see getting one of these for one of my favorite games, and Missile Command is almost there. Yars Revenge and Gravitar might be the only Atari published games that hit that threshold for me.

EDIT: and Solaris and Fatal Run. Oh man, Fatal Run!!! NTSC!!!! Do it Atari SA!!!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/812164057/your-favorite-dreamcast-game-made-out-of?click_key=d7dcc8646524d77f8552e41701d65fba7ee70d34%3A812164057&click_sum=d6e676a1&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=sega+dreamcast+custom&ref=sr_gallery-1-2&organic_search_click=1&frs=1

If I wanted a true keepsake enshrining a favorite game, I would go for something like this from an artist, rather than what NuAtari is pushing.  I don’t believe anyone has received their copies of the first run of games either, so things are definitely off to a rough start.