Jump to content
Nall3k

Atari SA releasing limited run 2600 cartridges.

Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

Those look funky, but pretty cool. I could see them winning some purchases from people who like weird 2600 shell designs.

 

49586B85-E2E8-4DC9-9A85-7EA8EF276C39.thumb.jpeg.205f45f920cd1e5c4a6f9235955dab05.jpeg

 

I really like the art design even if it’s more early 70s-ish than the familiar Atari 2600 art classics.

These carts have a Zellers vibe to them. 
 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now I actually want these things.  I had a mild interest in their production and perhaps acquiring them (although their cost if entry is a bit steep), but now I really want these.  Anybody have a spare $450 they can give me?😁

  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2022 at 12:42 PM, Yurkie said:

how about 1978. I have 2 carts like this.

 

The copyright dates on labels (particularly picture labels for some reason) are not very reliable indicators of when the game actually came out. Space Invaders also shows 1978, for instance, while it’s well known that title didn’t come out until ‘80. Pac-Man and Defender show 1981, when they were ‘82 releases. The pic label for Pong Sports even says 1975, which is clearly wrong.

 

The Astrocade is a big offender too; going by the cartridge labels, you’d think every Bally game came out either in 1977 or 1981.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The copyright dates likely apply to the copyright date of the property - not the 2600 release date. Space Invaders was released in the arcades in 1978. Warren Robinett began working on Adventure in 1978. The other dates likely apply to the applicable copyright dates of those properties as well. (Atari couldn't copyright Space Invaders, Pac-Man or Defender - they licensed the rights to use them.)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't realize this, I would have figured some Canadians would have been there prior:

Air Raid was the only game produced from the small Men-A-Vision studio in Ontario Canada, making this the first Canadian made Atari 2600 title. 

  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Gunther said:

https://atarixp.com/blogs/discover/lost-games

 

Easily the best looking 2600 carts ever made.

 

I actually don't think so.  I wish they had gone with more traditional classic Atari style art and a more traditional cartridge design.  These just look odd to me and not consistent with the rest of the Atari library.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like I said, these new carts remind me of the old Zellers carts.  I happen to like the artwork of these four the most and I like to play each game as well.  This link shows the complete Zellers collection and provides some info about the department store, as well as the carts.  Thanks to @Omegamatrix

Zellers Carts.jpg

 

Circus.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those labels look like trash. Not a fan. Zellers art looks better. That XP art looks lazy and unfinished. They look generic and bootleg. Just my opinions. Don't kill me.

I'm undecided about the name labels, im guessing they light up??? Those are maybe the best part but you can barely see them in the photos, and if they light up, why aren't they lit in the pics? Whatever, looks cheap and attached with double stick foam tape. Also, when you plug them in the cart port, wont the title be backwards, or did they flip the PCB?

 

For what its worth I am mostly a fan of the box art.
 

Edited by Slikatel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Slikatel said:

Those labels look like trash. Not a fan. Zellers art looks better. That XP art looks lazy and unfinished. They look generic and bootleg. Just my opinions. Don't kill me.

I like the one with the octopus a bit.

17 minutes ago, Slikatel said:

I'm undecided about the name labels, im guessing they light up??? Those are maybe the best part but you can barely see them in the photos, and if they light up, why aren't they lit in the pics?

They're supposed to light up when plugged into a 2600. So they'd either have to find a working 2600 and take photos of the carts plugged into it, or hook up a battery to them (which could be considered deceptive, since they wouldn't do that in real life).

17 minutes ago, Slikatel said:

Also, when you plug them in the cart port, wont the title be backwards, or did they flip the PCB?

Good question - maybe that's why they aren't showing them plugged into a console. :ponder: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The octopus one is definitely the best one. It looks like a nice symmetrical logo. Those arms show a lot of movement, so it is interesting. Yars is similar design but doesn't do it for me. I feel like they just keep innovating as they go, which is strange. But, is the first batch, so I'll give them a pass. They seem tobe trying.

 

Could you imagine that meeting....

 

Boss: "Hey how can we jazz up the special editions so people will want them more?"

 

Employee 1: "we get someone to hurry up and crank out some alternate art, we could find the cheapest artist as possible since we already paid someone to design the regular editions."
 

Boss: "Let's just use the unfinished, unused prototype ones we already have that we rejected. What else?"

 

Employee 3: "What if we had a light up label tag they could grab?"

 

Boss: "What would that do?"

 

Employee 3: "Nothing but it would be super cheap and people love stuff that lights up, like little kids shoes."

Boss: "GREAT! Maybe the AA "Fake Atari" haters will love them now, they are JUST LIKE little kids."

Edited by Slikatel
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if the light-up part is strong enough so that you can actually use it to insert/remove the cartridge from the 2600?

 

Because people are going to do that.

 

I predict breakage.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nathan Strum said:

I predict breakage.

Probably not since they will only be owned by adult collectors. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not interested in Yars' Return and I have a signed CIB Saboteur.  @Nathan Strum, I'm with you.  I like the Aquaventure art the most, but will not spend $149.99 on any one of these.  That's 2-3 AA homebrews (depending on your choice of CIB).  I'll save my $$ for the homebrews.  

Saboteur.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Mockduck said:

I didn't realize this, I would have figured some Canadians would have been there prior:

Air Raid was the only game produced from the small Men-A-Vision studio in Ontario Canada, making this the first Canadian made Atari 2600 title. 

Wasn't it established that Men-A-Vision was probably based in southern California?

Edited by BassGuitari
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nathan Strum said:

I wonder if the light-up part is strong enough so that you can actually use it to insert/remove the cartridge from the 2600?

Dunno. But what I want to know is, since light-up cartridges are apparently a thing now, does that mean we'll start seeing homebrew cartridges where the end label is actually a miniature arcade marquee? Because that would actually be awesome.

Edited by BassGuitari

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Slikatel said:

The octopus one is definitely the best one. It looks like a nice symmetrical logo. Those arms show a lot of movement, so it is interesting. Yars is similar design but doesn't do it for me. I feel like they just keep innovating as they go, which is strange. But, is the first batch, so I'll give them a pass. They seem tobe trying.

 

Could you imagine that meeting....

 

Boss: "Hey how can we jazz up the special editions so people will want them more?"

 

Employee 1: "we get someone to hurry up and crank out some alternate art, we could find the cheapest artist as possible since we already paid someone to design the regular editions."
 

Boss: "Let's just use the unfinished, unused prototype ones we already have that we rejected. What else?"

 

Employee 3: "What if we had a light up label tag they could grab?"

 

Boss: "What would that do?"

 

Employee 3: "Nothing but it would be super cheap and people love stuff that lights up, like little kids shoes."

Boss: "GREAT! Maybe the AA "Fake Atari" haters will love them now, they are JUST LIKE little kids."

Lol!

I imagine if 'new-ATARI' do anything you'll likely cry inside...

Edited by Gunther
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, bojay1997 said:

I actually don't think so.  I wish they had gone with more traditional classic Atari style art and a more traditional cartridge design.  These just look odd to me and not consistent with the rest of the Atari library.

Cool story bro...

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gunther said:

Lol!

I imagine if 'new-ATARI' do anything you'll likely cry inside...

Maybe if it was Save Mary for $150 bucks.

They would be tears of joy if they started producing their old controllers or even newly designed ones and not just carts.

Edited by Slikatel
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2022 at 8:11 PM, Tempest said:

The main character is a human in a diving outfit.  They could be either male or female, there's no way of knowing with 2600 graphics.

And there was me thinking he was shooting the aquatic life with his mighty meat stick 🤣

20220415_095617.jpg

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Slikatel said:

Maybe if it was Save Mary for $150 bucks.

They would be tears of joy if they started producing their old controllers or even newly designed ones and not just carts.

I agree.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Slikatel said:

Employee 3: "What if we had a light up label tag they could grab?"

They are made from, ahem, "special plastics"...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Aquaventure label looks the best, but they all look like "Let's find some vaguely appropriate clip art and hope they're all too distracted by the flashing lights to notice."

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, KaeruYojimbo said:

The Aquaventure label looks the best, but they all look like "Let's find some vaguely appropriate clip art and hope they're all too distracted by the flashing lights to notice."

Now the lights are going to FLASH!?!?  :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...