IGNORED

Re-visiting Defender...

PacManPlus

I actually ran into Doug and his Mom.

Back story :

Joe Decuir and I were discussing him and he told me that he lived in NW Portland, where I worked at the time (2017). He takes care of his mother and is a bit of a recluse, so I was heads up.

I ran into him at the grocery ( Fred Meyer ) store I worked at. He was over by the customer service desk. I knew it was him because he was wearing his IEEE vest and he was with said mother.

At the time, I was hosting Rose City Atari Club meetings in the upsatirs conference room and invited him to come up. I also mentioned that Joe had come to a meeting in hopes of getting him to socialize, but I think I scared him because I recognized him. ;) I may have handed him a biz card.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, PacManPlus said:

So here's something quite cool.

I've been very lucky in the past by actually having the arcade authors help me out with both Frenzy and Space Duel. In the same spirit, I had contacted Eugene Jarvis a few weeks ago and hoped that he would respond.

Now I've actually heard back from him, and aside from passing to me some of his source code, I have a phone meeting with him tomorrow to go over some of the issues that I am having with porting this game to the 7800.

Again, I will say, I am very lucky.

This is awesome!

Hell yeah! Can't wait to see the "Developed with the original game's creator" label on the box ?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, PacManPlus said:

I've been very lucky in the past by actually having the arcade authors help me out with both Frenzy and Space Duel. In the same spirit, I had contacted Eugene Jarvis a few weeks ago and hoped that he would respond.

Now I've actually heard back from him, and aside from passing to me some of his source code, I have a phone meeting with him tomorrow to go over some of the issues that I am having with porting this game to the 7800.

This is awesome!

That is insanely cool!  I'm jealous.

• Like 2

Not much to tell really, we had a two hour conversation and he went through the source code with me...  Nothing too deep, but he told me how he did some things, and I told him how I was going to 'time slice' the off screen enemies.  He thought that was a good idea.  He told me the story of how they burned the chips the night before Defender was to be introduced...  They kind of hand-assembled some last minute changes, and had to remember what they did so they can change it in the source code.

It was very pleasant speaking with him, and he gave me some insight.  I hope to speak to him again at some point (most likely as I get closer to finishing this port). :) 

A couple of times he couldn't remember why certain things were done, and I remember joking with him saying, "it's not like it was 40 years ago or anything" :P 

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 28

12 minutes ago, PacManPlus said:

Not much to tell really, we had a two hour conversation and he went through the source code with me...  Nothing too deep, but he told me how he did some things, and I told him how I was going to 'time slice' the off screen enemies.  He thought that was a good idea.  He told me the story of how they burned the chips the night before Defender was to be introduced...  They kind of hand-assembled some last minute changes, and had to remember what they did so they can change it in the source code.

It was very pleasant speaking with him, and he gave me some insight.  I hope to speak to him again at some point (most likely as I get closer to finishing this port). :) 

A couple of times he couldn't remember why certain things were done, and I remember joking with him saying, "it's not like it was 40 years ago or anything" :P 

I am really happy you had that experience. So cool.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, PacManPlus said:

That is sooooooo awesome!!!! You got to speak to the legend himself!!! still looking forward to seeing DEFENDER on the 7800.

• Like 6

On 3/10/2022 at 10:02 AM, PacManPlus said:

This is awesome!

Considering everything Eugene has on his plate in the current day and age, that is incredibly generous of him and is pretty amazing both at the same time. 

• Like 4

On 3/16/2022 at 6:41 AM, PacManPlus said:

Eugene needs to be gifted a copy of the final release (and maybe a 7800 to go with it :) ). 

• Like 2

Hi!

24 minutes ago, bikeguychicago said:

Considering everything Eugene has on his plate in the current day and age, that is incredibly generous of him and is pretty amazing both at the same time.

Yes, I am very grateful for his time. :) 

22 minutes ago, bikeguychicago said:

Eugene needs to be gifted a copy of the final release (and maybe a 7800 to go with it :) ). 

I actually was thinking about that, as I sent Alan McNeil a 7800 and a Frenzy cartridge for helping me...  Although at this point the 7800 unit itself might be a little more difficult to come by.  I may have to find one as I only have my own at this point.

• Like 3

On 3/16/2022 at 11:14 AM, Yurkie said:

Any chance the cartridge label could have a pic of the Arcade cabinet, when this is finished Bob?

Didn't mean to miss this.  The label I would like to have done won't, but that's not to say a one off couldn't be done for you. :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2022 at 11:05 AM, bikeguychicago said:

Eugene Jarvis is extremely generous!  I'm from Chicago and this is one of the schools my daughter is considering to study animation.  My wife saw a news report on this yesterday, and when she mentioned the name Eugene Jarvis, I was floored.  

https://resources.depaul.edu/newsroom/news/press-releases/Pages/jarvis_cdm.aspx

• Like 12