IGNORED

The Atari VCS Controversies Thread

Mockduck

I guess then I am the one that has to buy it, review it first so you all can see it. OK, whatever. And no it will not be on store selves ever. It is purely an internet thing.

I would expect to see it show up on Amazon at least and maybe other online retailers if it ever gets released. Crowdfunding and sales based on a crowdfunding campaign alone are never going to be enough to make this worthwhile, even for a small company.

Don't be so sure. Ouya was (briefly) sold at Target and Best Buy retail outlets. If you blinked you might have missed it. I wished I'd taken photos of the mostly empty retail display when I had the chance, with a couple controllers and shop cards, and no actual consoles. The display placard was discarded the following week if memory serves me correctly. Being an online only device, no actual games to display on shelves.

The people who actually did buy one, who didn't only use it as a free emulator box, still had no reason to return to the store after they bought it. Physical media and store presence is still a necessary component of a successful console launch it seems. Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft have the infrastructure to pull it off. So did Sega, back when they still manufactured consoles, and Former Atari as well. Ouya did not, nor do present day Atari and Coleco.

Ataribox, um, Vee Cee Ess Too Point Ohh, if not complete vaporware and actually has a succesful launch, will face similar issues to Ouya when it comes to maintaining a retail presence. Customers, even if they buy one, will have no reason to ever return to the store. Retailers stock consoles from the "big 3" all day long because they know the customers will return again and again for gsmes and accessories. People see rackfuls of games and purchase the real console.

While V.C.S. 2.0 will have a large existing marketplace to pull from (Steam), most hardcore Steam fans will already have souped up PCs with which to run the latest and greatest games, and will likely scoff and mock the little console when they learn it barely has enough power to run current indies and older releases, and that asumes they aren't Windows only. PC gamers as a general rule, don't buy consoles.

So if this releases, I would love to see it successful, however they will be facing an uphill battle from the end of the kickstarter to release it to market, and beyond after launch.

• Like 1

^ I remember seeing it at Gamestop. The boxes were just stacked near the front like a pile of logs.

Apparently they'll still have some used controllers in stock: https://www.gamestop.com/android/accessories/ouya-game-controller/127576?cid=fds_10000777&CAWELAID=120192760000047605&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=31186719962&CATCI=aud-129631274882:pla-177557481602&catargetid=120192760000077429&cadevice=c

And their OUYA page is like a time capsule: https://www.gamestop.com/collection/ouya

• Like 2

^ I remember seeing it at Gamestop. The boxes were just stacked near the front like a pile of logs.

Apparently they'll still have some used controllers in stock: https://www.gamestop.com/android/accessories/ouya-game-controller/127576?cid=fds_10000777&CAWELAID=120192760000047605&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=31186719962&CATCI=aud-129631274882:pla-177557481602&catargetid=120192760000077429&cadevice=c

And their OUYA page is like a time capsule: https://www.gamestop.com/collection/ouya

LOL!

The Ouya console release date is Tuesday, June 25. Check back soon for exciting news and game updates.

June 25th, of what year? :rolling: :ponder:
  • Like 1

Hi! For anyone unfamiliar with my position over the past several months regarding the Ataribox or AtariVCS, I'm going to open this post by stating that while I currently am (and have consistently been) a wholly-admitted skeptic regarding Atari SA's ability to bring this device to market, my intent behind posting here is to open up the floor to points in favour of the device that might, at the very least, give me additional food for thought regarding my own opinions concerning it.

Quantitative arguments ('It's better at X than Y is because...') generally work better for me than qualitative ones ('I like how it looks'). Having said that, I have always been warm to the aesthetics of the device, if not necessarily the execution behind its development and marketing. If you just want one because it looks cool, has a Fuji on it, or the wireframe interface is neat, that's fine and I get it - but it's easier for me to understand someone else's position when I can evaluate reasonably definite aspects of their argument against ideas that I might hold.

I'm not asking for proselytysing, evangelism, or a defence of your opinions - those are your own and as far as I'm concerned you're entitled to hold them without justification, much as I am mine. But I truly would like to hear ideas that may bring me to considerations that I had not previously taken into account.

For me if it's an open Linux box like they say, in a console form factor with an AMD, not ARM processor, with wireless controllers, then it will be the ultimate living room retrobox ever. No more need for piles of separate "flashback consoles". You will be able to load emulators for virtually any systems, and even play earlier DOS and Windows games at better speed than an ARM-based solution could.

Being an old Atari fan, having the Atari logo on it is an advantage over competing products.

BUT they have to deliver on the promise first. I won't preorder on hope. I'll only buy a finished product, if it delievers on the promise.

• Like 2

And how do you know that ? I'm expecting it in retail and plan to buy it in retail when it's $49 on clearance.

You can't buy it on sale retail if it never gets to retail. I'll bet that it's an online thing and that's it. For a place like gamestop to sell it, they want to sell physical games. They make their money off od software, not hardware.

• Like 1

Don't be so sure. Ouya was (briefly) sold at Target and Best Buy retail outlets. If you blinked you might have missed it. I wished I'd taken photos of the mostly empty retail display when I had the chance, with a couple controllers and shop cards, and no actual consoles. The display placard was discarded the following week if memory serves me correctly. Being an online only device, no actual games to display on shelves.

The people who actually did buy one, who didn't only use it as a free emulator box, still had no reason to return to the store after they bought it. Physical media and store presence is still a necessary component of a successful console launch it seems. Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft have the infrastructure to pull it off. So did Sega, back when they still manufactured consoles, and Former Atari as well. Ouya did not, nor do present day Atari and Coleco.

Ataribox, um, Vee Cee Ess Too Point Ohh, if not complete vaporware and actually has a succesful launch, will face similar issues to Ouya when it comes to maintaining a retail presence. Customers, even if they buy one, will have no reason to ever return to the store. Retailers stock consoles from the "big 3" all day long because they know the customers will return again and again for gsmes and accessories. People see rackfuls of games and purchase the real console.

While V.C.S. 2.0 will have a large existing marketplace to pull from (Steam), most hardcore Steam fans will already have souped up PCs with which to run the latest and greatest games, and will likely scoff and mock the little console when they learn it barely has enough power to run current indies and older releases, and that asumes they aren't Windows only. PC gamers as a general rule, don't buy consoles.

So if this releases, I would love to see it successful, however they will be facing an uphill battle from the end of the kickstarter to release it to market, and beyond after launch.

I bought a Ooya at Best Best when it was out.

• Like 1

You can't buy it on sale retail if it never gets to retail. I'll bet that it's an online thing and that's it. For a place like gamestop to sell it, they want to sell physical games. They make their money off od software, not hardware.

Gamestop sells lots of devices that don't take physical media. In fact, they sold the Ouya and the NVIDIA Shield and the Alienware Alpha and many other similar devices. Given the number of Flashback and similar devices Gamestop does carry, I think if this thing ever does get released, Gamestop is the most likely retailer to carry it.

• Like 1

AtariVCS' Facebook page yesterday put up a very brief video showing both the woody and black AtariVCS consoles, and someone playing Tempest 4000. It's very brief, and not really "proof" of the game being played on actual hardware. About the only thing worth noting is the VCS consoles sitting next to a keyboard, which gives you a sense of their relative size. Looks to be slightly taller and about 2/3rds the width of a standard USB keyboard, which is kinda nice. Continues to look pretty portable.

https://www.facebook.com/atariVCS/videos/455724338198821/

AtariVCS' Facebook page yesterday put up a very brief video showing both the woody and black AtariVCS consoles, and someone playing Tempest 4000. It's very brief, and not really "proof" of the game being played on actual hardware. About the only thing worth noting is the VCS consoles sitting next to a keyboard, which gives you a sense of their relative size. Looks to be slightly taller and about 2/3rds the width of a standard USB keyboard, which is kinda nice. Continues to look pretty portable.

https://www.facebook.com/atariVCS/videos/455724338198821/

I guess Atari is to cheap to make some new music. That's "Television is the Retena of the Mind's Eye" from tempest 2000. I interviewed Jeff Minter in 1994 with this CES video. it's 3m05s into it. He does mention "Major Havok 2000" which he never did for the Jaguar. Maybe someone can get him to do it for the VCSII?

Edited by BiffsGamingVideos

I guess Atari is to cheap to make some new music. That's "Television is the Retena of the Mind's Eye" from tempest 2000. I interviewed Jeff Minter in 1994 with this CES video. it's 3m05s into it. He does mention "Major Havok 2000" which he never did for the Jaguar. Maybe someone can get him to do it for the VCSII?

I can't watch the whole thing right now, but this insert is the best thing ever.

giphy.gif

• Like 4

Atari sent out emails today to people who signed up for pre-order information. The email says the company will offer an, "...exclusive discounted Atari VCS Onyx" through a link in the email when the IndieGoGo campaign officially launches at 9:00am Eastern on Wednesday, May 30th. The discount only appears to apply to the Onyx console, not the wood-grain version. There will be a limited number of these console discounts available through IndieGoGo, as is typical for these kind of campaigns, but the email claims, "...Even if the limited-quantity early bird deal runs out for the general public, you can be assured we've reserved these units for a week so you can still pre-order."

So, the early-bird $199 version looks like it'll only be for the black version, and be available for at least a week for those interested in locking it in by signing up for the email.

post-6867-0-98079100-1527200120.jpg

Atari sent out emails today to people who signed up for pre-order information. The email says the company will offer an, "...exclusive discounted Atari VCS Onyx" through a link in the email when the IndieGoGo campaign officially launches at 9:00am Eastern on Wednesday, May 30th. The discount only appears to apply to the Onyx console, not the wood-grain version. There will be a limited number of these console discounts available through IndieGoGo, as is typical for these kind of campaigns, but the email claims, "...Even if the limited-quantity early bird deal runs out for the general public, you can be assured we've reserved these units for a week so you can still pre-order."

So, the early-bird $199 version looks like it'll only be for the black version, and be available for at least a week for those interested in locking it in by signing up for the email.

attachicon.gifvcsemail.jpg

What's funny is the one they sent me, I opened it on my android phone, looked at the timer and it was all zeroes. They sent me several more that did work later.

That is just so tacky. It's too much like an infomercial. "And if you act now ...." Argh

Edited by thetick1
  • Like 2

That is just so tacky. It's too much like an infomercial. "And if you act now ...." Argh

I disagree. the people who signed up for the info got the info. It's spam that someone wanted (not unlike all of those other emails trying to sell railroad tycoon). I thought the ad was pretty good. You know, not everything atari does is dumb. They are allowed to get something right every so often.

Edited by BiffsGamingVideos

It's pretty common for fundraising drives like this to have limited-quantity and time-gated "early bird" discounts, along with these kind of email distributions, due to the critical importance of getting some cash at the start of the campaign. One of the difficulties of kickstarter-like fundraising is people tend to want to wait until it's nearer to the deadline to kick in their money, but it never gets there if too many people are waiting. This sort of effort proved successful on Kickstarter, and has migrated elsewhere, to drive early funding, which has a cyclical effect on purchases. It's a bit odd for sure, because ultimately it is an arbitrary sale, but that's the nature of these things.

• Like 1

Lol as stated in the other thread I did a lot of outside work today in high heat. Think my brain is fried.

The leaked specs didn't seem very ground breaking.

The Switch also has 32Gb internal flash and 4Gb of RAM, and it is very ground breaking. I have no idea how the actual CPU/GPU performance stack up though. ARM vs x86 is Apples to Oranges.

Sometimes it's not the number of horses under the hood; it's how fun it is to take it out for a drive. :cool:

The Switch also has 32Gb internal flash and 4Gb of RAM, and it is very ground breaking.

The Switch is groundbreaking for its multiplayer options and its hybrid console/portable status. Those, and its dependable franchises are its advantages, not its hardware specs.

Even if the hardware was identical for the two, no one is eagerly looking forward to the next Atari Karts or Fun With Numbers 4K.

This is going to be a niche product but even so, it's going to have to do something to set itself apart.

• Like 2

The Switch is groundbreaking for its multiplayer options and its hybrid console/portable status, not its hardware specs. Those, and its dependable franchises are its advantages.

Even if the hardware was identical for the two, no one is eagerly looking forward to the next Atari Karts or Fun With Numbers 4K.

This is going to be a niche product but even so, it's going to have to do something to set itself apart.

I was making a point. It's not about specs, it's what you do with it. I'd argue the most powerful super computer on earth would make a rather bland game console, even if someone wrote software to exploit it. In that, I have a lot more faith in current Nintendo to deliver fun to consumers than these Atari upstarts. After all, they've been doing it a lot longer... ;-)

We should remain cautiously optimistic that at best this will be another Ouya. And yes, I did buy one (Ouya) and have fun with it.

Lol as stated in the other thread I did a lot of outside work today in high heat. Think my brain is fried.

The leaked specs didn't seem very ground breaking.

No they don't. They're pretty much run of the mill. That's neither good nor bad. It'll all come down to the software and games and how it's all put together.

I didn't care when the VCS had piss-ant specifications. I just liked the high-speed games that one could get into instantly. No documentation to get in the way beyond a 2 page booklet, no internet/modem connection, no boot-up wait times. And it all just worked right away.

I don't believe atari sa (or this spinoff LLC shell of a company) has the vision and capability to make a product like that!

And there was no mystery marketing or begging to potential customers. The VCS just showed up in the store and it was a surprise we got to take home and discover on our own. So. Yeh.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1