IGNORED

The Atari VCS Controversies Thread

Mockduck

2 hours ago, glazball said:

How do you know it will fit your needs when you don't even know what it does or care what software it has or doesn't have?

From what I've seen, it can play indie games, it can have an operating system installed and allow me to use it as a pc for me to access my steam library and emulators.  That's cool to me and that's why I backed it.  I can set fire to my money, my house, my car.  Why do you care?  The amount of energy you guys use to hate the VCS is mind boggling.

I'm not interested in an Amico.  It isnt something I care to support or spend my money on.  Am I over on the intellivision forums complaining to people how it's going to fail and how they missed a deadline?

Nope!  Because I'm not a douchebag.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, LoonyLucas said:

From what I've seen, it can play indie games, it can have an operating system installed and allow me to use it as a pc for me to access my steam library and emulators.  That's cool to me and that's why I backed it.  I can set fire to my money, my house, my car.  Why do you care?  The amount of energy you guys use to hate the VCS is mind boggling.

I'm not interested in an Amico.  It isnt something I care to support or spend my money on.  Am I over on the intellivision forums complaining to people how it's going to fail and how they missed a deadline?

I couldn't care less about how other people play games. The problem is that this company is unethical as hell.  I wouldn't compare it to the Amico. I would say it more closely resembles the Coleco Chameleon.  Even if it actually does get released, there's no denying that intentional deception is a part of Atari's marketing campaign. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, LoonyLucas said:

From what I've seen, it can play indie games, it can have an operating system installed and allow me to use it as a pc for me to access my steam library and emulators.  That's cool to me and that's why I backed it.

What have you seen?

So far as I can tell everything they've shown us has been mock-ups or a PC running Windows.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ColecoJoe said:

I thought people originally backed a console and then after the first delay they changed it to a un-console then to a PC???

From the announcement, it was always a Linux-based console that would be open and you could use it as a PC if you chose.

• Thanks 1

On 9/10/2020 at 5:54 PM, The Historian said:
  • Backers refers to someone who contributes to a reward-crowdfunding campaign. You're either donating some money to get a reward or essentially, pre-buying a product. So, you're supporting/backing a project -- hence, a backer. They did offer "pre-orders" for a product not fully developed and that is not shipping until 2021. 
  • Investment crowdfunding is a way to source money for a company by asking a large number of backers to each invest a relatively small amount in it. In return, backers receive equity shares of the company.

Amico has effectively done both.

Incorrect information. 

"Backers" are not receiving "rewards" and they do not get a product. 

Investors in our Reg A or Reg D offering (regulated by the SEC) do NOT receive equity shares of the company.

I guess anyone who has ever purchased a stock is also considered a "backer" of the company they own stock in?  In that regards... yes... we have backers.

:)

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, LoonyLucas said:

A. I don't care what you do with your money.  Did you miss that point?

B. I do care when unethical companies take money by deceit and misinformation.  Why?  Because (as with Coleco Chameleon) I was initially interested myself if everything was legit and above-board (which it wasn't and STILL ISN'T).  Everytime a company like FAtari promises the moon and takes money from people with no idea whatsoever how to follow through with said promise, it ruins the chances that a decent, well-intended, ethical company can do the same.  The only reason the Ataribox exists (as an idea) in the first place is because Feargal Mac didn't seem to know about the Coleco Chameleon debacle.

Whatever the opposite of buyer's remorse is, you seem to have it.  Buyer's defense??

C.  Indeed, what have you seen from the Ataribox?  Nothing has been shown in good faith, so please enlighten all of us.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, LoonyLucas said:

Ah, throwing passive aggressive shade on naysayers as douchebags, while ignoring valid criticisms of a product and the company behind it. You're acting like every criticism of Atari is a criticism of you, which is not the case.  I could likewise say that the amount of energy you spend on defending a crappy product and company is mind boggling. 

Any "hater" cares because we're Atari fans. We're all supposed to be the target market for this thing. We've all probably spent hundreds or even thousands of dollars on the brand over the years. I think it's sad to see what Fred C. has done to the company that made video games mainstream. He just sees it as a cash cow, nothing more. The VCS in particular doesn't appeal to us because there isn't anything unique, exclusive or special about it. If anything, it's been damaging the brand much more than poor game remakes of Haunted House. Most normal consumers out there, if they have heard of it, have heard it's a scam. 

As Glazball just pointed out, there is plenty of reason to warn other consumers about a bad company and product. That's not being a douchebag or a hater, that's actually being a good neighbor and helping others be aware of things. 

The original pitch from Fergal Mac had nothing about it being a PC in a VCS-like case. That only came around after Atari didn't pay Fergal and found Rob Wyatt to come up with something. He saw that Atari didn't really have much money to make a console work, so he threw in the sandbox/open OS mode. Unfortunately, no one at Atari figured out how to market their device from there. 

It sucks, as it would have been pretty cool to see a new Atari console. When I was a teenager and collecting for the Jaguar, I would've lost my mind with joy to see Atari release the Jaguar 2. But it wasn't to be. It all is a wasted opportunity, as the original idea had potential. 

The Amico is pretty much all indie games, curated for the platform. But it won't be for everyone, just like the VCS isn't for everyone. Are there people complaining about the Amico and saying it will fail, of course there are. Is there value in constructive criticism? Yep! If it wasn't for us "haters," then Atari likely wouldn't have decided to show some gameplay for it after months and months of people asking for some proof that they actually have something in hand. You're welcome. 

Edited by Shaggy the Atarian
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

The original pitch from Fergal Mac had nothing about it being a PC in a VCS-like case. That only came around after Atari didn't pay Fergal and found Rob Wyatt to come up with something.

To be fair, the tagline Game, Stream, and Connect Exactly Like You Already Can With The Hardware You Already Have wouldn't have had the same ring.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

9 hours ago, zzip said:

From the announcement, it was always a Linux-based console that would be open and you could use it as a PC if you chose.

It was always confirmed to be Linux-based but not an open system. Rather, if you wanted to install your own software, you always had to go into 'sandbox' mode and bring your own OS.

It was certainly not explained how this was going to be implemented - by adding additional storage and having the option to boot from it - until Rob Wyatt joined the project, and a prototype not consisting of a solid lump of plastic was being worked on. I'm not sure if his explanation would still hold now that he's left it even if Atari haven't said anything else to contradict it.

Also, if Atari have have ever shown it booting into Linux under Sandbox mode, it's passed me by.

• Like 3

I don't understand how people can defend Atari at this point. Anybody else would have shown some pictures of mass production by now. The new Atari store was the reason I would have picked one up but when there hasn't been any games announced there's no point. The series S is the same price and for £10 a month I can play however many games I would like. The VCS is DOA and I hope the backers receive a device even if it's to sell it on 

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, nyyle said:

I don't understand how people can defend Atari at this point. Anybody else would have shown some pictures of mass production by now. The new Atari store was the reason I would have picked one up but when there hasn't been any games announced there's no point. The series S is the same price and for £10 a month I can play however many games I would like. The VCS is DOA and I hope the backers receive a device even if it's to sell it on 

Brand loyalty is a powerful thing. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Chopsus said:

FAtari has seriously screwed the pooch when it comes to their marketing and launch window.

Fred Cheesnuts: when would be the absolute worst time to release the VCS non-console

Anyone with a brain: at the same time as PS5 and XBox X Series!

I'm holding off on next-gen until the games catch up.   But the Polymega does have potential to me.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, OCAT said:

^ And I am holding out until someone proves that this is not just some elaborate scam like the original 11 Moon landing that was shot in a studio...
Think I dont know?! ??‍???‍??? for cying out lound I can see the strings!

There were 6 moon landings (Apollo 11,12,14,15,16,17). Since you mentioned strings I know you must have been mistakenly watching the original ‘Thunderbirds’ instead.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

19 hours ago, Chopsus said:

FAtari has seriously screwed the pooch when it comes to their marketing and launch window.

Fred Cheesnuts: when would be the absolute worst time to release the VCS non-console

Anyone with a brain: at the same time as PS5 and XBox X Series!

That's what you get for repeatedly delaying something that was originally envisioned to come out in 2018.

Anyway, not to worry. They'll probably just delay it again and avoid the clash that way. ?

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Matt_B said:

That's what you get for repeatedly delaying something that was originally envisioned to come out in 2018.

Anyway, not to worry. They'll probably just delay it again and avoid the clash that way. ?

Yep ... that’s what I’m expecting.

I backed the VCS on the promise I would have it a year before the PS5 ... figured it would be an interesting stop gap until then ... now that I have secured a launch PS5, in November, I have no real use for the VCS.

Perhaps, if FAtari were to be believed, I’ll get a month to two weeks of playing with it before the PS5 arrives ... but I seriously doubt it.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2020 at 8:15 PM, ColecoJoe said:

I thought people originally backed a console and then after the first delay they changed it to a un-console then to a PC???

That was always the impression I had.

I find it funny how some people are thinking this is going to be a simple emulation solution. Install your own OS. Install your own emulators (will they have a 2600 emulator like they promised?). While something like a raspberry Pi just requires flashing an SD card.

A simple steam box kind of makes sense minus the price. You could probably find a used Dell Optiplex at a much cheaper price that would be just as capable if not more so. They don't take up much space either.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2020 at 4:36 PM, LoonyLucas said:

Because I'm not a douchebag.

Yep, totally not a douchebag, as evidenced by your participation on the Indiegogo comments page.

ANoSwWD.jpg

Something something glass houses and stones.

✌️?✌️?✌️?✌️?✌️?✌️

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1