IGNORED

The Atari VCS Controversies Thread

Mockduck

Unlike the original Atari 2600, though, which went on sale in November 1982, the Atari VCS comes with a raft of new tech to make it 2020-ready including an AMD Ryzen CPU, AMD Radeon GPU and 8GB of RAM (expandable, too) that can pump the games out in 4K HDR.

Accurate article 1982? after all these years I though 1977

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

59 minutes ago, monzamess said:

Damn someone beat me to it. I just saw it in my news feed. Watch out ps5, you got competition now! 

Terraria, borderlands 2 with stuttering, asteroid and yars revenge, Sony is quaking in their boots. 

Edited by Mikebloke
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, monzamess said:

What I'm wondering about is where they're getting the idea that these things will be on store shelves in November.  Gamestop is saying Christmas Eve, and searching walmart.com for 'atari vcs' turns up two pages of non-results with no mention of the system or its availability.

atari_vcs_Search_Results_GameStop_-_2020-10-20_08_38_38.thumb.png.f895bd7c5eb64b0c2576d1e2110164f5.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

^ Hmm, By then GAMESTOP will be "owned" by Microsoft, guess what console will not be at the front of the store. ?

"The video game retailer is now incentivized to sell Microsoft's all-digital consoles as well as those which still use physical media. It has also set itself up to receive a revenue stream from digital and online gaming that it was previously closed off from."

Well, they can sell you a copy of Windows 10 to install on your VCS...
This snippet from Ars. sums up Atari ina nutshell,

"Though this is the fourth or fifth death for "Atari" since 1974, depending on how you count, the name will doubtlessly live on. The Atari brand and logo still hold real nostalgic power, and they are recognized by 90 percent of Americans, according to a recent survey. In fact, 17 percent of Atari's US revenues reportedly come from licensed products sporting the Atari logo or name, according to an LA Times report. The company has been milking the nostalgia extra hard recently, with mobile hits like Atari's Greatest Hits, Breakout: Boost, and Asteroids: Gunner."

so... were at the 6th death of Atari?

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, OCAT said:

^ this product looks suspiciously like an app running on any generic smartphone.. from 2009, turned on its side.
Look at all that glorious bezel.

Oh yeah.  Imagine being on the edge of your seat, waiting for imminent news of a product shipping that you've already paid for a few years ago, only to see this abomination. It has to be driving them crazy, even if they won't admit it. 

• Like 2

I've got some more details on that here:

https://arcadeheroes.com/2020/10/20/unis-atari-are-bringing-pong-home-again-with-mini-pong-jr/

I've also confirmed with UNIS (makers of this particular product and the Atari PONG Table arcade machines) that they have no involvement with the VCS, although it was offered to them for the Chinese market...

• Like 4

10 hours ago, monzamess said:

This might be the dumbest video game article written in 2020. Not a super high bar I suppose, but Mr. Jones doesn't even get basic details of the 2600 right, such as claiming that it launched in November of 1982

tenor.gif?itemid=4117278

This subheader is also unintentionally funny

image.thumb.png.7112dc49bc9f31bf15df0d69da4e4edd.png

It's the other way around, champ

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Agillig said:

LOL.  Talk about rubbing salt in the wound.

20201020_103819.thumb.jpg.efff240746c9763845ec854fbcddbca5.jpg

How long can a company coast on a 40-year-old reputation selling products made by other companies?

I get it...nostalgia's a helluva drug, but it can't be milked forever. At some point those of us who care(d) will be gone, and Atari hasn't really produced anything original and relevant since the Warner years.

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, racerx said:

How long can a company coast on a 40-year-old reputation selling products made by other companies?

I get it...nostalgia's a helluva drug, but it can't be milked forever. At some point those of us who care(d) will be gone, and Atari hasn't really produced anything original and relevant since the Warner years.

In a way, I'm hoping that Nutari falls, and falls hard and publicly so.  It'll serve as a visible warning to all of the others who might think that it's a good idea to be perpetually tugging on the 'remember when?' heartstrings in order to get people to empty their wallets.  Nostalgia's fine, but the way these tools go about marketing it is, frankly, insulting.

• Like 4

The new Pong device is an Arcade1up joint, them approaching Atari for something to put on shelves this Christmas. Totally pointless, but I will probably get one anyway cuz I love stuff like this, at least if the price point is something like $20. 

Atari has specifically said that the only way to guarantee getting a VCS by December 24th was through being a backer or a pre-orderer prior to July 31st, so that sounds unlikely that there will be shelf units in stores before 2021. 

15 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

Atari has specifically said that the only way to guarantee getting a VCS by December 24th was through being a backer or a pre-orderer prior to July 31st, so that sounds unlikely that there will be shelf units in stores before 2021. 

In a way, though, it's a moot point whether or not they put anything on the shelves this year (or next, for that matter).  With nothing to actually sell, both the PS5 and the Xbox Whateveritscalled hitting the market, a lack of effective advertising, and a brand name that 99% of retail shoppers likely associate with unsold Flashbacks in the closeout aisle, Nutari just can't compete at the price points they're targetting with the hardware and software they're offering regardless of when it's released.

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 6

58 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

a brand name that 99% of retail shoppers likely associate with unsold Flashbacks in the closeout aisle

The wife literally just sent this to me. Outside of a tiny nerd bubble, the rest of the world uses Atari synonymously with "obsolete."

IMG_20201020_140936.thumb.jpg.d82b2c0fce2857ec2e10d39cddf39f64.jpg

Edited by racerx
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

26 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Atari just sent out a press release about the Mini Pong Jr.. Includes a couple of pics of the actual unit. Odd that they still haven't done something like this for the VCS:

minipongjr2.thumb.jpg.88f32e78c66063f8ee5599eb63cf9afe.jpgminipongjr1.thumb.jpg.b320f6381b47bf350f0938d5c5432627.jpg

How is that "mini"? It looks pretty huge.

And where's the HDMI out?

Ridiculous.

There are more pics at Gizmodo: https://gizmodo.com/the-portable-atari-mini-pong-jr-is-like-a-nintendo-swi-1845425162

• Like 1