IGNORED

The Atari VCS Controversies Thread

Mockduck

3 hours ago, Stephen said:

How sad.  In the three years this fiasco has gone on, I've been a beta tester and built 3 custom Atari 8-bit PCB recreations.  The 1088XEL in 2017, the 1088XLD in 2019, and just tonight completed the build of the 576NUC+.  These were all designed by one guy (AA user @mytek).  The assclowns at FakeTari took $3 million and still have nothing to show for it.  Stunning.

The systems are complete and in the USA. They are nothing special and not worth even close to $300 a pop but they are more than nothing and do exist. Why they didn't come out and let the backers know the systems arrived when they did is just dumb. I'm guessing cause they wanted to wait on the joysticks? I've seen mention that some where sold console only. If that is the case there is absolutely no reason those have not been sent out to those who purchased them aside from Atari being as retarded as they are. Also, there is no reason why those "modern" AKA Xbox controller clones didn't come right along with the load of consoles. Saying they where short on materials is just more bullshit.

• Like 4

What is bothering me is that HOLDING the sytems cost money, think about it, there is something a goins on... they clearly are not ready for prime time because nobody in business wants to have a warehouse with ahem... "valuable" items just hanging around. Space actually costs money, this is how JIT works, you have the items delivered just when you need to package them up/use them to finish a product if you manuafacture things. Most importanly space wasting packaging should be kept at a minimum. You want the stock in and out as fast as possible to reduce costs of electricity/manpower/insurance/rented space.
Why not ship the consoles that were ordered without the controller? get those out the door NOW! then when the part comes in to make the controller send those out. These consoles are already purchased, so holding more than you need is not good in any way. If something were to "happen" to those shipments of consoles, Atari is still on the hook to procure more to deliver, assuming they are not covered by insurance, and knowing that Artari genereally does not like to pay for services why would they have insurance? Then again I would not be surprised to see an update: sorry we lost all the VCS consoles ina fire/flood/tornado
We did not get the $3 warehouse insurance :(

• Like 6

This is EXACTLY why I don't buy the "it's not fair if we can't fill all the orders at once" jabber.  There is NO business reason to not fill any orders you can once the product is ready.  This is bad for the customers, and it's bad for l'Atari.  The only people getting anything out of it are YouTube reviewers reaping those sweet, sweet clicks.

• Like 4

I suspect that they've still got issues on the software front. We've all seen that the dev unit boots up with just the one app - Atari Vault - so what's to assume that they've got any further with the production version? Pretty much all the other videos they've shown so far of anyone doing anything with it were running Windows with extra RAM and storage.

As such, they'll be using every excuse they can to push back the shipping date while they cobble together the remaining apps.

• Like 4

A Ponzi Scheme relies on bringing new money in in order to cover those who (despite false incentives not to) choose to withdraw their funds ... all the time the total claimed value if stock is a fraud.

I seriously suspect that Fake ATARI are desperate to get funds in from presales (and other silly ventures) in order to fund their long overdue promise to backers.

Ponzi is not an effective long term strategy... the house of cards will collapse eventually... I just hope backers get theirs before it does.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Chopsus said:

A Ponzi Scheme relies on bringing new money in in order to cover those who (despite false incentives not to) choose to withdraw their funds ... all the time the total claimed value if stock is a fraud.

I seriously suspect that Fake ATARI are desperate to get funds in from presales (and other silly ventures) in order to fund their long overdue promise to backers.

Ponzi is not an effective long term strategy... the house of cards will collapse eventually... I just hope backers get theirs before it does.

Well, they're got that portable Pong thing, and digital collectibles.   That should bring in lots of cash, right?

As much as I love ripping on Nutari and taking the piss out of the VCSBawx, calling it a Ponzi scheme is a pretty big stretch.

Fred et cie. just relied on people giving them money in a way that's legally-acceptable but morally-dubious.

I'll hold the Nutari fuckers' feet up to the fire by the ankle, but they were smart enough to hook people who were buying in in good faith with promises that were ones they were completely at a loss as to how to fulfill.

Kinda reminds me of the 1967 film The Producers, but without the exit plan.  Or enjoyable comedy.

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Matt_B said:

I suspect that they've still got issues on the software front.

Yep - this is the only reason that makes sense. They're trying to buy time to get the software done.  At least done enough where it doesn't immediately fall apart.

Firstly, a huge and long time ATARI fan here like many of you and still owner of several original Atari consoles and computer and accessories ? I lived and love the history of Atari OBVIOUSLY and it saddens me that Atari will never be even a fraction of what it once was even in the different stages (Atari / Warner / Tramiel) back in the day. But at the same time many people seem blindly loyal to that name and logo to the point the will even today, grab up anything officially labeled "ATARI" even though most of it is overpriced junk conning Atari fan consumers and gambling on their nostalgia. This is why even though Atari managed to market and complete a fund raising goal for the new upcoming AtariVCS, early on called the AtariBox but fans and backers keep defending them even though the console they were promised has changed, has been delayed several times with promised shipping dates over and over being pushed back, any engagement has been very controlled and curated with comments often getting removed or people being banned in forums or groups where they represented themselves whenever challenged or backed into a corner where they could not provide a "real" answer, hype marketing talk or skirting around the questions or giving non-answer answers seems to be their specialty. And yet the funny (sad? pathetic?) thing is backers or fans that STILL insist on defending them for really NO OTHER REASON than that blind nostalgia for a long dead company that keeps making promises but actually delivering on very little. Oh and to be clear, I AM NOT SAYING NOR DO I BELIEVE that the backers will never receive what they paid for, in fact at least at this point I still believe they will all receive something....eventually....maybe? ?  but even that will be far from anything worth what they paid outside of collector purposes or that "official" Atari name and logo being worth a LOT (and admittedly it clearly is to some) I truly believe even the most hard core defender of the AtariVCS and the people behind it would have a totally different view and opinion of what's on offer and for the amount it cost as well as the project developers behaviors to date if it were all being handled by some small unknown start up that were not incorporating the ATARI brand name. 

And once again, because I know some get triggered by such heresy defaulting to the usual claim I am a "Hater / NO FUN / troll / pessimist etc" this is not the case at all, I WOULD HAVE LOVED Atari to rise like a Phoenix from the ashes and again I am a long time Atari collector who has played and enjoyed Atari through history during all the ups and downs, I even loved and completed Raider of the Lost Ark and E.T. for 2600 backing the day ? But with I grow tired seeing the beloved Atari name whored out constantly on garbage product merely to capitalize on the once great brand. 

Honestly, did not expect much but this video actually contains some good points and well stated views regarding "ATARI" today as well as the AtariVCS etc. Sure it is just regurgitating what many of us already know but before you dismiss it have a watch, some people could use this wake up call about modern ATARI especially the blind faithful who think anything modern day ATARI still has something worthwhile to offer. 

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
addition
  • Like 8

I think most people here knows that Atari Corp was Tramel Technology Ltd and Atari SA was Infogrames SA.  Infogrames SA actually has a history of developing and publishing video games since the 1980s.  Since acquiring Atari assets, Infogrames SA, now Atari SA, has gone bankrupt, shutting down all their studios, and liquidating their assets including the atari name and logo.  The people are also all gone, so they aren't even the same company.  What remains is what didn't sell at bankruptcy.

The video briefly mentions Atari's  contributions to arcade games and of course the atari 2600 but does not mention their contributions to early home computers and games.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Atari's now saying that they won't have any VCS units to the general public until next year.  On Reddit somebody who ordered the Atari VCS through Atari's website posted that they received the following email:

We are contacting you with updated information regarding your Atari VCS preorder.

Component shortages across the supply chain have severely constrained our production capacity. While we expect to fulfill 100% of our backer orders before the end of the year, we do not expect to be able to ramp up additional retail production until January 2021. This will delay the shipment of your pre-orders until early next year. 

If you would like to modify your order, please visit https://shop.atarivcs.com/contact-us/ and provide us with your order information. We can process refunds within 24 to 48 hours.

Please do not try to cancel your order through your credit card or payment provider as this will delay a potential refund by as long as 90 days. 

Please accept our apologies, and thank you for your patience. We will provide additional shipping updates as they unfold.

Kind regards, 

The Atari VCS Team

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7
  • Sad 1

^ perhaps they will be ready for Xmas 2021 ????
I wonder what the missing "component" is... oh wait GAMES!!!!

Or... or perhaps they are pulling a "Nintendo" and creating an artificial shortage of this HOT?♨? new system to get the buz going....

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, racerx said:

"Atari" has hit a whole new low with their token shenanigans. It's fascinating to witness the depths of sleaze they're willing to plumb.

At this point I have less than zero sympathy for anyone supporting the company.  There's been enough evidence the past three years to know to avoid it.  But still people don't.  So they get what they deserve and I get to sit back and laugh.  Schadenfreude at its finest.

Seriously - what the absolute f*** will it take at this point to make people realize what a shitty scam company this is?

• Like 6

A response somebody wrote to PDubs' comments on that thread:

You know, before this token, your shilling was at least well intentioned - you're a self professed investor in Atari. Fine, shill it up.

This crosses a line. You are an admin in a large TG channel for this token and are participating in a gaslighting campaign to delete any and all concerns about the ACTUAL RUGPULL that just occurred.

No, initial listings for an anticipated coin DO NOT plummet to 10% of their value within hours of being listed. No, forgetting to include a button to claim presold tokens for hours after the listing DOES NOT happen. No, presale buyers DO NOT normally have to watch as their $10,000 investment becomes $2,000 in the span of a few hours with no ability to trade what they bought.

And NO, the telegram for new coins in the excitement of their first listing DO NOT force a 1 hour slowmode to silence the concerns of scammed buyers.

Before, Josh, you were simply hyping a company to protect your investment. Now, you're an accomplice to creating a sterilized TG that gives the gaslit impression to newcomers that all is well.

You have misled, and no doubt will continue to mislead, many investors into getting bilked so that your investment could use a hollowed out Atari logo to lure the nostalgic into one of the most obvious crypto ERC20 rugpulls since YAM.

Edited by Paul Slocum
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4