IGNORED

The Atari VCS Controversies Thread

Mockduck

3 hours ago, racerx said:

Apparently Nintendo realizes that software sells hardware.

Atari SA remains blissfully ignorant of this.

Conversely, Hardware is needed to sell the Software, unfortunately Atari has Neither of these things out in the wild, What they need is an idea, or product that needs not software OR hardware to sell.. OH wait, Atari Tokens.

I guess they are riding around on a high...??

horse.jpg

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

52 minutes ago, youxia said:

People here on AtariAGE probably remember when the word "harassment"  actually carried some weight and meant what it meant, but these days... I think "mocking" would be much more appropiate in this case (no pun intended btw).

What I'm not seeing is where anyone is going after the developer (and youxia, just want to be clear that I'm not referring to you when I say that).  They're making a low-budget Steam title; cool.  I hope it's a success for them and that it enables them to go on to bigger things in the future.

What everyone is doing, however, is ripping into Fauxtari for their usual coattail-riding behaviour.  How'd that work out for you with Woz, Fred?

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 4

^ Dont worry, Atari has a killer business model, they don't need a Console to sell the software and they do not need the software to sell the hardware, They will just sell accessories for the console that you cannot buy, but you can pay Atari a monthly fee to play games on your PC and pretend you are playing the console all while buying tokens, hats and other Atari branded goodies!

I am going to release a killer game, since all the office buildings are temp closed, I can rent out space cheap and make a sequel to the hit game,
"Plumbers Don't Wear Ties" ?‍??‍??, I hope the Atari VCS can handle static images that refresh every 60 seconds...

plumbersdo.jpg

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

What's really telling is that €30K is chump change for developing a game.  If Atari really had the hots for this, they'd contract the developers to make the game for them, giving them milestones, deliverables, and deadlines to work with.  The problem is that this iteration of Atari doesn't consider €30K to be chump change like the rest of the video game industry does because they have no money, and so can't afford to just bring them on board to write an exclusive.  But they can sure let people think they've got something special lined up!

I think this is the thing. You can encourage software developers on the cheap, but you still need to support them. If they had a development package, regular contact and a real storefront to show off on their devices to download from, then there'll be plenty of bedroom developers building the next big indie title for it, and they'd have the opportunity to show it off. 

We currently know of two games, Jani's that you can buy on other devices right now, and the SNK legal rip name game that seems nearly finished anyway but is also going to release on steam. The nearest competing company doing very similar things already have a raft of games on show... 

• Like 1

Setting aside new games for the moment: Since this new VCS is just a Linux PC, it should trivially easy to get existing Linux-compatible games to run on it. There are well over 6,000 of these currently on Steam alone. Developers could get themselves on this exciting new platform with very little effort.  We should see a bunch of 'conversions' of existing games (especially smaller ones) advertised for the new VCS.

Where are they?

Edited by jamm
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jamm said:

Setting aside new games for the moment: Since this new VCS is just a Linux PC, it should trivially easy to get existing Linux-compatible games to run on it. There are well over 6,000 of these currently on Steam alone. Developers could get themselves on this exciting new platform with very little effort.  We should see a bunch of 'conversions' of existing games (especially smaller ones) advertised for the new VCS.

Where are they?

image.png.094ddd4a9cfecbc53cd82085d1c9fd19.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, jamm said:

Where are they?

If I was in charge of a game that had a formal Linux offering I'd be letting VCS people know about it cuz why not. That said, a lot of games have unofficial linux support as well, so I'd imagine that if it is actually trivial to get Linux games to run on it, we might see some underground/semiofficial rumblings from game devs. Granted, that's only if they care, and most probably won't, but for example I'll be checking to see how the games I work for run on it through player-created linux launchers. 

7 hours ago, jamm said:

Where are they?

Right next to Atari's VCS copy of RollerCoaster Tycoon World and the Atari Jaguar game emulator ;) 

• Haha 2

This is now well beyond farcical, FArtari have just blown yet another promised delivery date and most Backers didn’t even notice :

Atari 2 hours ago
PROJECT OWNER

Quick update: As of today, joysticks have not yet cleared customs and not at facility yet, so we unfortunately can’t start sorting. More info as soon as we have it.

11  6
Stolen from Reddit:image.png.38cf0093a519ecf4ecffbf8a0750e38c.png
Edited by Chopsus
  • Like 5
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Chopsus said:

This is now well beyond farcical, FArtari have just blown yet another promised delivery date and most Backers didn’t even notice :

It's also been a long time since we got blamed for our negative attitudes towards the project causing the problems.  I sort of miss getting blamed fort being part of the problem.

• Like 6

Well, it is always wise to let a hot sweater chick deliver Bad No news is good news. At last I can enjoy that Taco Bites TV dinner I have been hoarding in the freezer, it also comes with a packet of Salsa! OH man... this is getting better with every delay ?
I just love it, they clearly can ship the console only orders but are unwilling... I love this sooo much. I want you to think about this... We now have a real Vaccine in production to solve the global health crisis, that would normally take YEARS to make, and Atari cannot even deliver a mini PC in MORE time. June 2017 to now and still with the delays.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

59 minutes ago, OCAT said:

Well, it is always wise to let a hot sweater chick deliver Bad No news is good news. At last I can enjoy that Taco Bites TV dinner I have been hoarding in the freezer, it also comes with a packet of Salsa! OH man... this is getting better with every delay ?
I just love it, they clearly can ship the console only orders but are unwilling... I love this sooo much. I want you to think about this... We now have a real Vaccine in production to solve the global health crisis, that would normally take YEARS to make, and Atari cannot even deliver a mini PC in MORE time. June 2017 to now and still with the delays.

Never forget the $3 MILLION they suckered people out of to gauge interest and build a community.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, AlecRob said:

To be fair... any mail from china is taking fucking FOREVER these days.  

Everyone always says that, maybe you are buying from fishy sellers, I just got 2 x 48pin ZIF sockets from China (delivery estimate 4-6 weeks), they were in my mail box 10 days later, not even 2 weeks.  Maybe it is all a gamble and I am just good at winning. LOL

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

^ They claim that the VCS consoles are already here and waiting to be shipped, what they are waiting for are the controllers that have been allegedly air transported here, but are stuck in customs becuase Atari is the most Amateurish ? show since 2017.

I have a feeling once these "clear customs" Atari will inspect a few samples and determine that the built in lithium batteries need to be recalled and must be replaced and it will take another few months to get the batteries and contract someone to replace the units before they can ship this ?

Atari has orders for VCS units that do not require controllers, but instead of rolling up his sleeves and getting his hands "dirty" and shipping out units, he wants to be fair and wait until everyone gets it shipped at the same time, how nice. Anything else but signing a document is beneath these kings and princes of Atari.

Anyone that was serious and Passionate about a kickstarter would do something cool like, personally sign units that he shipped himself just to say "I am trying my best to get these units out to all the backers that believed in me, so I am taking some time each day to ship random orders that are VCS only, signed by the Atari team"

Or perhaps Atari wants to start the warranty period on the same day as shipped so that they can run away from all obligations 90 days or 2 years (where you live).
??

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Atari has launched their VCS Companion App available at least for Google Play, which will let you control the VCS from your phone. Could be pretty cool maybe. I don't have an iOS device nor did a quick search for "VCS Companion App iOS" return a result, so...dunno. Lemme know if you see it. The Google Play store lists a publication date of November 13th, 2020, although today is the first I've heard of it.

Edited by Mockduck
clarifying release date.
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

Atari has launched their VCS Companion App available at least for Google Play, which will let you control the VCS from your phone. Could be pretty cool maybe. I don't have an iOS device nor did a quick search for "VCS Companion App iOS" return a result, so...dunno. Lemme know if you see it. The Google Play store lists a publication date of November 13th, 2020, although today is the first I've heard of it.

Do the remote controls include an option to get it out of the warehouse and into a post office?

• Like 1
  • Haha 17

Just now, Chopsus said:

Do we really think the warranty will be worth more than toilet paper?

I hear toilet paper is becoming scarce again.  So at this point in time, there is no way in hell the warranty will be worth more than toilet paper.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3