IGNORED

The Atari VCS Controversies Thread

Mockduck

10 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

I may be slightly brain-dead today, so pardon the question if it's blatantly obvious and I just missed it: what does the 'Total Ruse' column represent?

The number of days passed between the announcement of the console and the current day, OR when the console ships/is cancelled , whichever is first.

Basically, how long the malarkey went on.

Edited by godslabrat
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, godslabrat said:

The number of days passed between the announcement of the console and the current day, OR when the console ships/is cancelled , whichever is first.

Basically, how long the malarkey went on.

Gotcha.  Thought it might have been something along those lines, but appreciate the clarification.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chopsus said:

Defensive bunch those IGG fans ... Stefanie Wormer has a real potty mouth on her.

You should go experience the Facebook group the Werner Bros run. If it is still up that is. The old VCS thread documents many folks dealings with them from that fiasco. Any thing got folks banned or publicly humiliated in that group.

Never questions them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, TACODON said:

You should go experience the Facebook group the Werner Bros run. If it is still up that is. The old VCS thread documents many folks dealings with them from that fiasco. Any thing got folks banned or publicly humiliated in that group.

Never questions them.

Seems like the retro revival brought out some retro zealots. I haven't checked on them in awhile. Still a pointless group I'm assuming? Is it still just a bunch of, "it's not a scam," or "hey maybe they can have this game," talk still?

Hope they get it, and its everything they've always wanted.

• Like 4

Just now, rickcollette said:

I'm curious; why is the VCS such a source of contention for folks? 

In short, it's the most visible example of the current trend of "retro-ish consoles that serve no actual purpose".  It's also the latest project by the company currently calling itself "Atari" to raise money and deliver nothing of substance.  It offers nothing to consumers, and anyone who's thrown money in its direction was lied to.  The only variable is how much they care about being lied to.

• Like 12

^ May I add this is the EXACT mentality of "collectors" that are banking on the collection they have to cash out one day. By taking ill of the VCS you are basically F-ing with thier money, a big no-no.

This is what Tim Atwood did when he got fed up of those collectors that were hoarding all the copies of Stadium events and such... by dumping a ton of SEAAAAAALED games into the public eye the prices of those games they have dropped like a sack of potatoes from the back of a wagon, or an Atari Token ?

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

On the other hand, the more of a failure that it is, the more the units will be worth in the long run. The absolute worst thing that could happen for speculators is for Atari to run off a few hundred thousand of them that end up having to be sold off at a huge discount because nobody's biting at $400.

^ i am betting that they are betting that the first batch are going to be worth the most to collectors, sort of like how games with hang-tabs intact or how the first 4GB iphones are worth the most. But I see your logic, as a collector they are the ones that should be trash talking this thing if they care about rarity and profits!
This time the console is what they have to collect since there are no physical games.

Edited by OCAT

If l'Atari is actually producing these at all, and they seems to be, I think it's going to end up filling the thousands of pre-orders, with a modest number more for show.  This would have the effect of not making the unit rare enough to be worth seeking, but also not common enough to catch on.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

^^ But how do we know that Atari has produced the units? what if they only made those 96 units and just copy paste the image?
What if there is a flaw that causes the units to self destruct because it becomes self-aware and destroys itself because of shame?

This is too much fun, so what is the latest reason why the units are not shipping? let me guess.

"The printer ran out of ink so we cannot print shipping labels, and being Atari we only use responsibly sourced fair trade ink that is not harmful to mother earth, such as Octopus ink and there is a short supply"

? Hail Hydra...

Edited by OCAT
  • Haha 3

On 11/26/2020 at 12:44 PM, Yak said:

Regarding Tempest, do you think they would:

(a) Commission a proper dedicated version for their console; 

OR

(b) Simply half ass it by running the PC version in an emulation mode?

Been chewing on this one for a couple of days, because I'm really not quite certain as to which way to jump on it.  It's also an interesting question, seeing as how you wrote T4K :D

About the best answer I can give is that I'd hope they'd go for (a), but would expect them to go with (b).

My suspicion that they have no money for software development remains intact, however.  Steam and Antstream seem to be their answer to the question of, "what games can this play, anyway?" for anything other than whatever emulated 2600 games they intend to bundle with it.

2 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

My suspicion that they have no money for software development remains intact, however.  Steam and Antstream seem to be their answer to the question of, "what games can this play, anyway?" for anything other than whatever emulated 2600 games they intend to bundle with it.

If they were ever going to pay for a dedicated version of Tempest, they would've done it already. That move alone would've sold a lot of units or at least generated lots of valuable buzz.

Edited by jamm
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, OCAT said:

^ i am betting that they are betting that the first batch are going to be worth the most to collectors, sort of like how games with hang-tabs intact or how the first 4GB iphones are worth the most. But I see your logic, as a collector they are the ones that should be trash talking this thing if they care about rarity and profits!
This time the console is what they have to collect since there are no physical games.

I believe this is gonna be more like an Ouya than a Iphone 4GB in the long run.

• Like 2

On 11/26/2020 at 10:44 AM, Yak said:

Regarding Tempest, do you think they would:

(a) Commission a proper dedicated version for their console; 

OR

(b) Simply half ass it by running the PC version in an emulation mode?

If you didn't get a few pounds for them using your game, to advertise the console, you have your answer.

Be prepared to get paid with AtariTokens and/or shares, if at all.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, TACODON said:

I left the Werner group ages ago.

Yes ... I walked away after a few days ... silliness incarnate.

the real VCS threat isn’t speculators, it’s scalpers given claims that all GameStop and Walmart stock has been sold ... next they will be on eBay for more than a PS5! ?

Edited by Chopsus
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Chopsus said:

Yes ... I walked away after a few days ... silliness incarnate.

the real VCS threat isn’t speculators, it’s scalpers given claims that all GameStop and Walmart stock has been sold ... next they will be on eBay for more than a PS5! ?

While you joke, there may be a day when this is actually true if systems like the nuon or and 64GS is any example of what happens with a failed system ?

• Haha 2