IGNORED

The Atari VCS Controversies Thread

Mockduck

1 hour ago, joeatari1 said:

@AlecRobThis was supposed to be a FAQ and Info but instead it is Taco thread #2.  It's just another complaint thread.  I especially like OCAT whom has yet to make a post on this entire site for anything other than to complain and make jokes about the VCS.  593 posts and nothing worthwhile has been contributed to the community at large.

I'm a long-time (as in a decade plus) lurker and have only started to, ahem, "contribute". So, let me take the first cut at a FAQ:

1. Is the Atari VCS a scam?

Not exactly, but it sure shares some characteristics with one! Beyond the lies, the changing stories, and interminable delays, it is likely the VCS will ship. It will be the minimum quality required to avoid lawsuits.

2. What's the deal with Atari Token?

Cynical cash grab.

3. What's with all the lies?

They are running an experiment to see how far they can push their backers and still have them shill for them around the internet. PowerDubs is actually an AI.

4. I heard that you can only install Windows on an external drive, how could that be true?

It is true, sadly. The design is that bad. 

5. Why aren't they shipping the consoles to backers who didn't buy the joysticks?

You don't understand "business" do you, son?

6. How many excuses can these guys come up with?

Well, the customs one was genius. It's odd that now they are implying that customs has released some of the joysticks. It sure doesn't sound like the customs service I'm familiar with...

Edited by 6502wrangler
Typos
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

@AlecRobThis was supposed to be a FAQ and Info but instead it is Taco thread #2.  It's just another complaint thread.  I especially like OCAT whom has yet to make a post on this entire site for anything other than to complain and make jokes about the VCS.  593 posts and nothing worthwhile has been contributed to the community at large.

lol- you clearly haven't been paying attention. i especially like folks that make passive-aggressive comments about users.  glad you're here to help gatekeep!

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

I’m confused at why exactly you are addressing me with this post?  

2 minutes ago, joeatari1 said:

I was just trying to point out that debating with these guys won't change anything.

I guess the point i try to drive home is, it’s okay to be interested in a less than perfect product.  atari VCS is an entertainment device.  atari, SA is an entertaining company.  So far i’ve enjoyed the atari VCS journey.  Idk why people cant just enjoy the ride. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AlecRob said:

I guess the point i try to drive home is, it’s okay to be interested in a less than perfect product.  atari VCS is an entertainment device.  atari, SA is an entertaining company.  So far i’ve enjoyed the atari VCS journey.  Idk why people cant just enjoy the ride. 

Well, I guess some people like being verbally or physically abused and lied to in a relationship.  Not everyone does, I'd say in fact most don't.  That's why people just can't enjoy the ride.  They don't appreciate the lies, deception, poor business practices, being sold an inferior product for an inflated price, etc.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, AlecRob said:

Ha.  Well, I happen to be a fan of the Virtual Boy AND Crystal Pepsi.  But I can have a serious talk about why I like those things.  

I don't begrudge you liking the VCS, I'd never be rude to you over it.  But I have yet to see any indication that it has any purpose in the world other than being a vehicle for a familiar logo.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Well, I guess some people like being verbally or physically abused and lied to in a relationship.  Not everyone does, I'd say in fact most don't.  That's why people just can't enjoy the ride.  They don't appreciate the lies, deception, poor business practices, being sold an inferior product for an inflated price, etc.

As someone who has been through actual abuse in the context of relationships and having literally years of therapy i can tell you a slightly shady video game company’s antics are in no way comparable to enduring actual real life trauma.  I still think people are blowing this way out of proportion.   If you put a magnifying glass to most big game companies (or big corporations/tech companies in general) you would definitely find a lot worse stuff than anything atari, SA has done.   Do you think sony or microsoft or nintendo have never told lies before? lol.   

who cares if it’s merely a vehicle for a logo?  What are consoles anymore anyway?  For the past few generations that is basically all they have been, near identical machines with different logos. 

sandbox mode right out of the gate automatically makes it more interesting than xbox or sonybox to me.  As for being limited to external hard drives for sandbox... meh.   External hard drives take up very little space these days.  Besides, i have no doubts that the system will be hacked in no time to allow internal storage for sandbox. 

Edited by AlecRob
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, joeatari1 said:

Oh lighten up. You're acting like this isn't an open forum and you and anyone else are incapable of contributing whatever it is you think is "worthwhile" on Atari's efforts. If we're wrong, then it should be pretty easy to prove it so. If you can't, then don't blame us for pointing out Atari's incompetence, blame Atari. Mockduck has frequently posted positive news about it, and I posted a very helpful bullet list of reasons to buy it a couple of pages ago (yes with some tongue-in-cheek reasons, but that's because I like to have fun, being serious all the time is boring). 

If your definition of "informative" is slobbering all over Atari's knob, then it's not hard to find that out there. I mean, I think this is stupid clickbait, but maybe you feel otherwise, or there's the VCS Fan Facebook group. Just tread carefully, as any wrongthink over there or questions against the mighty, holy and perfect Atari will get you banned.  

So let's get serious and informative, since you defenders/true believers never can seem to do the job (you're at full liberty to tell us why we're wrong, but every time I issue the challenge, the white knights chicken out, so I'll do it myself): 

Real reasons to buy an Atari VCS:

1) It's an Atari hardware product that isn't the Flashback, their first real console since the Jaguar and first PC since the Falcon. This seems to be good enough for a few thousand people, so ok. 

2) It has a CX-40 joystick available for it (extra charge, I think most hope that this is sturdy and will be cool)

3) It has an Xbox One like controller for it

4) It allows you to install your own OS (extra charge for required external storage and Windows license)

5) It comes with the Atari Mega Vault of 100 games

6) It mines cryptocurrency while you play

7) It must be online at all times

8 ) It will feature some online game streaming services such as Antstream, AirConsole, Game Jolt & Ultra (additional monthly charges apply for each service)

9) You can install emulators on it like any other PC/Pi device

10) It does not have any physical media port, is a fully digital console

11) You can upgrade the on-board storage and RAM (extra cost)

12) Games announced for this: Missile Command Recharged, Neko Ghost Jump!, Guntech, Unsung Warriors, the ghost platformer game, Sigi, Sir Lovelot, Plutonium Pirates, Bobby Bombtastic (Not aware of any of these being exclusive to the console; the last four games are all variations of the same basic game)

13) You can install Linux games on it (with only 32GB of storage though, you'll need external storage pretty fast)

14) Comes in different model options for different budgets, but for proper control, you're starting at around $300 since you don't get a controller for the base price.   

15) Atari claimed that there would be Jaguar games on it at one point, but they have not shown any Jaguar emulator nor made any announcements on Jag games for it at this point

16) Plays 4K video, but no demonstration of this capability has been shown of this (that I know of); No native Netflix or Amazon Prime app has been announced or shown for it

I thought that ghost Shinobi-like game posted about it looks interesting, but I also don't drop my pants for something just because it has with an Atari logo on it. If you do, then that's your prerogative, I just don't get it. An Atari logo on something isn't a good enough reason to me and a lot of the "haters" for spending $400+ on an entertainment product (which is what you'd need to do to get the full experience out of it all), when there are many, many options out there for gaming these days at around the same price or better and I can already get all of these games on Steam on my far-more-powerful gaming PC if I like them. As it is, none of the list above convinces me to purchase a VCS. 

If I'm wrong and just a hater, then by all means, tell me why I'm wrong. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, AlecRob said:

who cares if it’s merely a vehicle for a logo?  What are consoles anymore anyway?  For the past few generations that is basically all they have been, near identical machines with different logos. 

sandbox mode right out of the gate automatically makes it more interesting than xbox or sonybox to me.  As for being limited to external hard drives for sandbox... meh.   External hard drives take up very little space these days.  Besides, i have no doubts that the system will be hacked in no time to allow internal storage for sandbox. 

Funny that the Switch gets overlooked here, when it's become one of the best selling game consoles in history. Fair enough that the XB1 and PS4 weren't much different than a closed-system PC, but to claim that the Switch was nothing more than a vehicle logo is disingenuous. Also, what about Labo and Augmented Reality through Mario Kart Live? 

Sandbox mode is a nice feature for the VCS, but here's why that isn't a selling point to me - I already own three PCs that are far more powerful and capable than the VCS hardware is. If I wanted to spend $400 on another laptop, then I could do so, and it'd outperform the VCS in every category, so I just don't see the appeal. What can I do in Sandbox mode on the VCS that I can't do already with my laptop or two desktops?

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Funny that the Switch gets overlooked here, when it's become one of the best selling game consoles in history. Fair enough that the XB1 and PS4 weren't much different than a closed-system PC, but to claim that the Switch was nothing more than a vehicle logo is disingenuous. Also, what about Labo and Augmented Reality through Mario Kart Live? 

Sandbox mode is a nice feature for the VCS, but here's why that isn't a selling point to me - I already own three PCs that are far more powerful and capable than the VCS hardware is. If I wanted to spend $400 on another laptop, then I could do so, and it'd outperform the VCS in every category, so I just don't see the appeal. What can I do in Sandbox mode on the VCS that I can't do already with my laptop or two desktops?

I usually lack interest in PC’s because they are a different target market compared to consoles.  Different aesthetic and feel too. VCS is a console that doubles as a PC, with a bit of brand nostalgia thrown in.   Again I have to wonder why thats supposed to be a bad idea...

19 minutes ago, AlecRob said:

I usually lack interest in PC’s because they are a different target market compared to consoles.  Different aesthetic and feel too. VCS is a console that doubles as a PC, with a bit of brand nostalgia thrown in.   Again I have to wonder why thats supposed to be a bad idea...

Because it's pointless/waste of money to those of us who already have better devices that can do everything + more than what the VCS is capable of. Plus there are better devices out there for pretty much the same price. Your only argument is that it's an Atari device. It's good that it works for you, doesn't work for the rest of us, because we need more than the warm fuzzy of knowing that someone who bought the Atari name years ago has printed an Atari logo on a circuit board to throw money at it. I don't buy something from Sony, Sega, Nintendo or Microsoft (or anyone else) because their name is printed on it. To me that's pretty shallow. I buy their products if there is enough value from the games or features to do so.

Then again, you know that, so we just keep doing this

Maya Chase Tail GIF - Maya ChaseTail ChaseOwnTail GIFs

Edited by Shaggy the Atarian
fixed typos
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, 6502wrangler said:

Uhhhh.... this is a feature?

If this had been part of the original IGG campaign I would never, ever back it.

I might need to amend that - I'm not 100% sure now that I re-read the Bloomberg interview. It sounds like it, but not confirmed. The system does use the Atari Token cryptocurrency and they will be offering other digital coins on it in the future. For as excited as Fred was in that interview though, I can't find a thing about crypto on the Atari VCS website. They certainly didn't say a thing about crypto in any of the initial pitches for it, as I recall.

So let's say:

6) Purchase digital items using Atari's different cryptocurrency coins. May also mine crypto (the console must be online at all times to work), but not confirmed.

(for anyone confused, purchase immaterial things using immaterial money. Innovative!)

Also, one super important feature I missed from looking at the VCS site:

17) Compatible with the Atari Speakerhat

24 minutes ago, godslabrat said:

I'm hearing that "it's a console that doubles as a PC", but I'm having a hard time calling it either, much less both.

It's what happens when you go to Jack-Of-All-Trades school and flunk out

Edited by Shaggy the Atarian
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Oh lighten up. You're acting like this isn't an open forum and you and anyone else are incapable of contributing whatever it is you think is "worthwhile" on Atari's efforts. If we're wrong, then it should be pretty easy to prove it so. If you can't, then don't blame us for pointing out Atari's incompetence, blame Atari. Mockduck has frequently posted positive news about it, and I posted a very helpful bullet list of reasons to buy it a couple of pages ago (yes with some tongue-in-cheek reasons, but that's because I like to have fun, being serious all the time is boring). 

If your definition of "informative" is slobbering all over Atari's knob, then it's not hard to find that out there. I mean, I think this is stupid clickbait, but maybe you feel otherwise, or there's the VCS Fan Facebook group. Just tread carefully, as any wrongthink over there or questions against the mighty, holy and perfect Atari will get you banned.  

So let's get serious and informative, since you defenders/true believers never can seem to do the job (you're at full liberty to tell us why we're wrong, but every time I issue the challenge, the white knights chicken out, so I'll do it myself): 

Real reasons to buy an Atari VCS:

1) It's an Atari hardware product that isn't the Flashback, their first real console since the Jaguar and first PC since the Falcon. This seems to be good enough for a few thousand people, so ok. 

2) It has a CX-40 joystick available for it (extra charge, I think most hope that this is sturdy and will be cool)

3) It has an Xbox One like controller for it

4) It allows you to install your own OS (extra charge for required external storage and Windows license)

5) It comes with the Atari Mega Vault of 100 games

6) It mines cryptocurrency while you play

7) It must be online at all times

8 ) It will feature some online game streaming services such as Antstream, AirConsole, Game Jolt & Ultra (additional monthly charges apply for each service)

9) You can install emulators on it like any other PC/Pi device

10) It does not have any physical media port, is a fully digital console

11) You can upgrade the on-board storage and RAM (extra cost)

12) Games announced for this: Missile Command Recharged, Neko Ghost Jump!, Guntech, Unsung Warriors, the ghost platformer game, Sigi, Sir Lovelot, Plutonium Pirates, Bobby Bombtastic (Not aware of any of these being exclusive to the console; the last four games are all variations of the same basic game)

13) You can install Linux games on it (with only 32GB of storage though, you'll need external storage pretty fast)

14) Comes in different model options for different budgets, but for proper control, you're starting at around $300 since you don't get a controller for the base price.   

15) Atari claimed that there would be Jaguar games on it at one point, but they have not shown any Jaguar emulator nor made any announcements on Jag games for it at this point

16) Plays 4K video, but no demonstration of this capability has been shown of this (that I know of); No native Netflix or Amazon Prime app has been announced or shown for it

I thought that ghost Shinobi-like game posted about it looks interesting, but I also don't drop my pants for something just because it has with an Atari logo on it. If you do, then that's your prerogative, I just don't get it. An Atari logo on something isn't a good enough reason to me and a lot of the "haters" for spending $400+ on an entertainment product (which is what you'd need to do to get the full experience out of it all), when there are many, many options out there for gaming these days at around the same price or better and I can already get all of these games on Steam on my far-more-powerful gaming PC if I like them. As it is, none of the list above convinces me to purchase a VCS. 

If I'm wrong and just a hater, then by all means, tell me why I'm wrong.

Hate? Naah, it's just tough love. ?

Here are my takes:

1 - It's not really any more an Atari product than the Flashback. Nobody at Atari knows how to create hardware and software, so it's all farmed out to external consultants. The basic idea came from a guy who had to sue them to get paid and the funding came from backers who've been left waiting for 18 months past the delivery date. All Atari brought was their brand, plus a heck of a lot of delays and confusion.

2 - CX-40 Joysticks can be used with most modern systems for appropriate games with an adapter.

3 - Ditto for Xbox 1 controllers.

4 - Or you could buy a PC that lets you do this for considerably less. I hear HP laptops start at $169 these days.

5 - $3 in the recent Steam sale. Just saying.

6 - As if that dual core CPU isn't already going to get overly taxed attempting to play modern games.

7 - Par for the course these days. Even Switch games on cartridge tend to get a day one patch without which they're barely playable.

8 - Basically, nothing your phone couldn't do.

9 - Only after you've installed your own OS.

10 - There are USB ports you could use to access external media, once you install your own OS of course.

11 - Yeah, but you can't put your own OS on the internal storage, at least not until someone hacks it.

12 - There is one exclusive VCS game. I.e. getting Atari to finally ship the thing.

13 - Don't think you get root access, so you'd probably need to install your own OS to play anything not from Atari's Store. Well, at least until it's hacked.

14 - They're going to be gathering dust anyway after three months, so I guess the $200 paperweight edition make some kind of sense that way.

15 - I think they only claimed you could install an emulator if you put your own OS on it. Might as well just cut out the middleman, put stock Ubuntu on it and unlock the bootloader...

16 - Even potato PCs can do 4K Netflix these days. This would have to be real bad if it couldn't.

• Like 3

Off topic, but do you stream 4k? 

Seems expensive to me.  Maybe I'm just old, but I throttle back to 720p (similar to bluray).  There's too many people using too many devices in my house to waste bandwidth on 4k.  Even if the kids try to get slick, they get throttled at the router.

The finicky 5GHz bands don't have great range and even the Xmas lights degrade the signal.  Anything mobile or away from the router is 2.4hz; there's a lot of strain on the 2.4 GHz bands, not to mention:  no ISP in my area offers truly unlimited bandwidth.

Just now, orange808 said:

Off topic, but do you stream 4k? 

Seems expensive to me.  Maybe I'm just old, but I throttle back to 720p (similar to bluray).  There's too many people using too many devices in my house to waste bandwidth on 4k.  Even if the kids try to get slick, they get throttled at the router.

The finicky 5GHz bands don't have great range and even the Xmas lights degrade the signal.  Anything mobile or away from the router is 2.4hz; there's a lot of strain on the 2.4 GHz bands, not to mention:  no ISP in my area offers truly unlimited bandwidth.

Yes, I stream in 4K. Technically it's 'up to 4K' as you get what Netflix, etc. give you - and that's rarely going to be better than Bluray - but I've got the bandwidth and unlimited data, so why not?

The TV and router are mounted on opposite sides of the same wall, so I could slip a cable through if need be, but the WiFi is good enough at 5GHz so I've yet to bother.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matt_B said:

Hate? Naah, it's just tough love. ?

Here are my takes:

1 - It's not really any more an Atari product than the Flashback. Nobody at Atari knows how to create hardware and software, so it's all farmed out to external consultants. The basic idea came from a guy who had to sue them to get paid and the funding came from backers who've been left waiting for 18 months past the delivery date. All Atari brought was their brand, plus a heck of a lot of delays and confusion.

2 - CX-40 Joysticks can be used with most modern systems for appropriate games with an adapter.

3 - Ditto for Xbox 1 controllers.

4 - Or you could buy a PC that lets you do this for considerably less. I hear HP laptops start at $169 these days.

5 - $3 in the recent Steam sale. Just saying.

6 - As if that dual core CPU isn't already going to get overly taxed attempting to play modern games.

7 - Par for the course these days. Even Switch games on cartridge tend to get a day one patch without which they're barely playable.

8 - Basically, nothing your phone couldn't do.

9 - Only after you've installed your own OS.

10 - There are USB ports you could use to access external media, once you install your own OS of course.

11 - Yeah, but you can't put your own OS on the internal storage, at least not until someone hacks it.

12 - There is one exclusive VCS game. I.e. getting Atari to finally ship the thing.

13 - Don't think you get root access, so you'd probably need to install your own OS to play anything not from Atari's Store. Well, at least until it's hacked.

14 - They're going to be gathering dust anyway after three months, so I guess the $200 paperweight edition make some kind of sense that way.

15 - I think they only claimed you could install an emulator if you put your own OS on it. Might as well just cut out the middleman, put stock Ubuntu on it and unlock the bootloader...

16 - Even potato PCs can do 4K Netflix these days. This would have to be real bad if it couldn't.

Yep, I agree with all of that. Was just providing an "informational non-hater" take on the device, since none of the defenders ever can. If the VCS were $129 like the Mini Pong Jr. unit is, then maybe it'd be tempting, but at $400+ after you're done buying all the extras needed to "unlock it's potential," I find it to be entirely pointless and a waste of money. 

1 hour ago, Agillig said:

Looks like it's about to go down.20201211_173703.thumb.jpg.4ea94949c0c92db9856a00f994d16891.jpg

This is probably how most of us feel about this, three years later:

Dog Poop GIF - Dog Poop GIFs

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3