IGNORED

The Atari VCS Controversies Thread

Mockduck

Should be able to modify the bios fairly easily.  It's just a lightly modified vanilla Linux machine. 

When we start digging, I think we should should also be on the lookout for violations of open source licenses.  I expect there is very little actual engineering of any kind in the machine.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Fair points, but I can see where IGG is fed up with projects like this

6 hours ago, Matt_B said:

You don't think Indiegogo actually care about all the hardware projects that go South on their site?

Then maybe the "best case scenario" of this entertaining story would be that Indiegogo finally decide to change their policy because of it.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, AlecRob said:

I’m sure it is possible to boot from internal storage.  I cant see this thing being that hard to hack...

Yes and no. It is possible to boot an alternate OS from Internal storage, but only if you add an m.2 drive to it, at least by default. The VCS FAQ says there is a space for an M.2 SATA drive, and if you put one into the open slot on the motherboard, it can boot an alternate OS by order in the bios:

Boot Order - Installing an OS on an Internal vs External Hard Drive -- the boot order for the Atari VCS is: 1) external USB drive 2) Atari native OS 3) internal M.2 SSD drive If you install an OS on an external drive, you simply connect the drive to a USB port and power on in order to boot to it. In order to boot to the native Atari OS, just disconnect the drive. If you install an OS on an internal SSD you will need to hold down the ESC key on your keyboard to access the UEFI menu, and then select the SSD from the list of drives under Boot Manager.

Edited by Mockduck

4 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Then maybe the "best case scenario" of this entertaining story would be that Indiegogo finally decide to change their policy because of it.

My guess is that Indiegogo would only change the policy if it started to cause even greater negative opinion of them in the marketplace.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Oh, dear God.  This is still amateur hour.

These are just a few selected highlights from the IGG Backers' FAQ.  I'm kinda lost for words that Fauxtari is actually handing out helpful hints and tips like these.

On the subject of powering it: we kinda knew this already, but it's nice to have confirmation that Atari couldn't be bothered to use region-appropriate power cables for units going to territories other than North America and expects its customers in those regions to fix the problem at their expense:

Yep, looks like most streaming services are accessed through a browser, not dedicated apps:

On installing Windows, where nothing is certified, just 'tested' (and the end user remains responsible for licensing costs):

Want to upgrade the SSD?  Well, there's a FAQ for that as well.  Note that changing the SSD requires completely opening up the case; there is no separate access panel for it.  That's a really brilliant idea for a piece of consumer electronics, but it's nowhere near as good as this handy hint for recovering from detached wiring while replacing your SSD:

They're basically advising the same set of steps (with the same 'just solder it back in place' hint) for upgrading the RAM.

I do wonder how opening this thing up may affect the warranty, assuming there is one, and particularly when Atari knows its own design is likely to be damaged when opened.

Moving on, it's always reassuring to know that nobody has really figured out that pesky boot loop yet - but if it happens to you, don't worry!  You can just email your chums at support:

Speaking of support, they're conveniently available to help during business hours on non-specific days:

There's more that I could tear into, but quite frankly I just don't want to go that deeply into it.  Reading between the lines a bit really shows up that Fauxtari has (and has had) no clue as to what it is that they're doing - not that confirmation was needed, but it is nice to have.

Clownshoes.  Clownshoes everywhere.

IGG-Backers-FAQ.pdf 454.35 kB · 9 downloads RAM-Installation-Guide.pdf 6.05 MB · 11 downloads SSD-Installation-Guide.pdf 4.93 MB · 14 downloads

Stop, no one in this thread is allowed to be informative, just edgy troll memelords :P

Although this really is kind of funny from them, but hey, I guess they get points on being honest for a change:

If the wire detached from the chassis, it probably won’t impact the quality of your wireless connections. If they detach from the chip on the PCB board, wireless should still work, but might be negatively impacted. The solution in either case is to solder the wires back in place. You can also try a conductive adhesive or putty, such as circuit putty, if you are not comfortable using a soldering iron.

Faca Voce Mesmo Bricolagem GIF - FacaVoceMesmo Bricolagem Solda GIFs

• Haha 5

53 minutes ago, AlecRob said:

Looks like they are finally shipping orders out today.

Let's see what Fauxtari has to say about that:

17 hours ago, Mockduck said:

Today is the day! By the time you are reading this, the campaign tracker at the top of the Indiegogo page should have switched to “Shipping” and the first packages should be labeled and heading out the door and on their way to you, our loyal backers. Until the warehouse gets into a rhythm we can’t predict exactly how many will go out the door each day, but we do expect most, if not all of the orders to ship out over the next eight to 10 business days.

Emphasis mine.  Today is Saturday, the 12th of December.  Let's see how many business days remain in this month:

image.thumb.png.ca79f4759746f8e5e4db8e333726b447.png

Starting at the 14th and ending at the 30th, there are a total of 11 business days remaining in December.

Given both Fauxtari's eight-to-ten business day shipping promises and the fact that this is the busiest mailing time of the year, it wouldn't be at all surprising if the majority of the units weren't in anyone's hands until 2021 - and that's not even accounting for international shipping delays.

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Let's see what Fauxtari has to say about that:

Emphasis mine.  Today is Saturday, the 12th of December.  Let's see how many business days remain in this month:

image.thumb.png.ca79f4759746f8e5e4db8e333726b447.png

Starting at the 14th and ending at the 30th, there are a total of 11 business days remaining in December.

Given both Fauxtari's eight-to-ten business day shipping promises and the fact that this is the busiest mailing time of the year, it wouldn't be at all surprising if the majority of the units weren't in anyone's hands until 2021 - and that's not even accounting for international shipping delays.

Hey, I don't care when people get them. If people start reporting tracking numbers, then l'Atari did actually ship.  

• Like 3

After all, on "the campaign tracker at the top of the Indiegogo page", "shipping" is a different step above the following "pre-orders arrive", and these steps are one quarter apart according to the chart! The former was planned during Q1 2019, the latter during Q2 2019... Replace "2019" with "2021" and that should be accurate. ;)

• Haha 6

9 hours ago, Mockduck said:

Yes and no. It is possible to boot an alternate OS from Internal storage, but only if you add an m.2 drive to it, at least by default. The VCS FAQ says there is a space for an M.2 SATA drive, and if you put one into the open slot on the motherboard, it can boot an alternate OS by order in the bios:

Well there's something.

I suppose you could just de-solder the eMMC from the board to get it to boot straight from the SSD, after you've exhausted the possibilities of Atari OS.

You'll have the iron handy after reattaching the wires that came off when you opened the case, after all. ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Stop, no one in this thread is allowed to be informative, just edgy troll memelords :P

Although this really is kind of funny from them, but hey, I guess they get points on being honest for a change:

Faca Voce Mesmo Bricolagem GIF - FacaVoceMesmo Bricolagem Solda GIFs

Wow. Sounds like they expect these things to break out of the box. Imagine Nintendo advising customers to brush up on their soldering skills. 3 years wait and backers may get a half hour out of the damn thing before it breaks

It also suggests a not so subtle suggestion that they have no damn intention of fixing these things WHEN they implode

Edited by AtariLeaf
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AtariLeaf said:

Wow. Sounds like they expect these things to break out of the box. Imagine Nintendo advising customers to brush up on their soldering skills. 3 years wait and backers may get a half hour out of the damn thing before it breaks

It also suggests a not so subtle suggestion that they have no damn intention of fixing these things WHEN they implode

Get ready to queue up the "well, we're just a small mom 'n pop operation!" when pressed on it, as opposed to the mighty pioneering game company that has sold billions, maybe TRILLIONS of dollars worth of games (in the distant past).

Back in the taco thread I brought up that there's no way Atari has the resources to handle these things on the after-sales support side (especially since they can work with all sorts of devices and games, which will inevitably cause problems), but looks like soon we'll be at the "toldya so" stage. :P 

• Like 10

On 12/11/2020 at 10:50 AM, digdugnate said:

lol- you clearly haven't been paying attention. i especially like folks that make passive-aggressive comments about users.  glad you're here to help gatekeep!

Man I've missed a chunk of stuff. I probably could have done about 30 back to back posts but why spam? Plus there's a nice multi-quote feature. In terms of passive aggressive you are suppose to post a Trolls World Tours like this, and to call someone a know it all. download.jpeg.35768f08226f888845bff2ff8ec28b16.jpeg

On 12/11/2020 at 11:54 AM, joeatari1 said:

I was just trying to point out that debating with these guys won't change anything.

I agree. I think this has 100% been a crap show of a project. The only way it will change opinions is if it exceeds the low bar expectations it set itself. Seems like it is coming in Beta condition, which is not a good first start to change anyone's mind.

On 12/11/2020 at 11:58 AM, AlecRob said:

I guess the point i try to drive home is, it’s okay to be interested in a less than perfect product.  atari VCS is an entertainment device.  atari, SA is an entertaining company.  So far i’ve enjoyed the atari VCS journey.  Idk why people cant just enjoy the ride. 

I still think people can be excited for it. I don't understand saying it's a game changing type product. It's mediocre at best with an LED. I think WE have enjoyed the ride of tacos and jokes. If others have a fun time being told, "Nah we aren't shipping this yet," over and over more power to them.

On 12/11/2020 at 1:41 PM, AlecRob said:

As someone who has been through actual abuse in the context of relationships and having literally years of therapy i can tell you a slightly shady video game company’s antics are in no way comparable to enduring actual real life trauma.  I still think people are blowing this way out of proportion.   If you put a magnifying glass to most big game companies (or big corporations/tech companies in general) you would definitely find a lot worse stuff than anything atari, SA has done.   Do you think sony or microsoft or nintendo have never told lies before? lol.   

who cares if it’s merely a vehicle for a logo?  What are consoles anymore anyway?  For the past few generations that is basically all they have been, near identical machines with different logos. 

sandbox mode right out of the gate automatically makes it more interesting than xbox or sonybox to me.  As for being limited to external hard drives for sandbox... meh.   External hard drives take up very little space these days.  Besides, i have no doubts that the system will be hacked in no time to allow internal storage for sandbox. 

I agree it isn't as bad as that type of trauma. However, there were backers like John P who did seem to have a lot invested emotionally in it. So it could potentially be more "traumatic" for some than others. Just because there are worse things out there doesn't mean they should get a pass either.

On 12/11/2020 at 2:43 PM, AlecRob said:

I usually lack interest in PC’s because they are a different target market compared to consoles.  Different aesthetic and feel too. VCS is a console that doubles as a PC, with a bit of brand nostalgia thrown in.   Again I have to wonder why thats supposed to be a bad idea...

You lack interest in a PC but say the Sandbox mode (um PC mode makes this more interesting). There is zero evidence that this will have any type of longevity as a console. Sandbox will make it last longer, but that goes back to why not spend that money on a small PC that is better and will last longer?

If it is just the Atari logo I would say get a PC and buy an AtariAge sticker that comes with homebrews and slap that on the PC. Plus if it is a PC how will the feel be any different than a PC experience? 

I think there is some cognitive dissonance sometimes when people tout the sandbox mode yet don't get why people say, "buy a better PC for cheaper."

On 12/11/2020 at 5:13 PM, TACODON said:

Do we need Flo to update the you are here graphic?

On 12/11/2020 at 6:56 PM, racerx said:

Flojomojo sees all.

Eye_of_sauron.jpg.8b8893d3029fd2e6ef2cd5ee6f0286c5.jpg

Ha! Someone needs to post the graphic. Maybe Flo will make her reappearance soon? 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

Man I've missed a chunk of stuff. I probably could have done about 30 back to back posts but why spam? Plus there's a nice multi-quote feature. In terms of passive aggressive you are suppose to post a Trolls World Tours like this, and to call someone a know it all. download.jpeg.35768f08226f888845bff2ff8ec28b16.jpeg

I agree. I think this has 100% been a crap show of a project. The only way it will change opinions is if it exceeds the low bar expectations it set itself. Seems like it is coming in Beta condition, which is not a good first start to change anyone's mind.

I still think people can be excited for it. I don't understand saying it's a game changing type product. It's mediocre at best with an LED. I think WE have enjoyed the ride of tacos and jokes. If others have a fun time being told, "Nah we aren't shipping this yet," over and over more power to them.

I agree it isn't as bad as that type of trauma. However, there were backers like John P who did seem to have a lot invested emotionally in it. So it could potentially be more "traumatic" for some than others. Just because there are worse things out there doesn't mean they should get a pass either.

You lack interest in a PC but say the Sandbox mode (um PC mode makes this more interesting). There is zero evidence that this will have any type of longevity as a console. Sandbox will make it last longer, but that goes back to why not spend that money on a small PC that is better and will last longer?

If it is just the Atari logo I would say get a PC and buy an AtariAge sticker that comes with homebrews and slap that on the PC. Plus if it is a PC how will the feel be any different than a PC experience? 

I think there is some cognitive dissonance sometimes when people tout the sandbox mode yet don't get why people say, "buy a better PC for cheaper."

Ha! Someone needs to post the graphic. Maybe Flo will make her reappearance soon? 

Queue pictures of VCS consoles covered with taco stickers

• Like 3
  • Haha 1