IGNORED

The Atari VCS Controversies Thread

Mockduck

2 weeks to get into US. 

Assuming no customs issues several days to a week to get to their warehouse. 

A day minimum for product testing / confirmation. - we probably skipped this one to be fair

Rest of the week to package orders to ship out. 

Week to arrive if it wasn't covid Christmas, so perhaps two. 

2nd or 3rd week of December for first units in backers hands

Updated for everyone. Presumably those picked up tomorrow will have half a chance of arriving in December, though I'm curious why they didn't ask the shipping company to bring a bigger van, I mean all of them could fit in one or two transit vans surely? Hardly an artic worth judging from pictures. Hmm. 

Also, is it normal for a US product to be packaged and set for shipping then wait a week before its officially in the system, does it not just get picked up... The same day? 

Also, lol at all the foreign backers who will try and plug in the US power supply because that was clearly an afterthought they realised when they got the units. I wonder when they clocked on, perhaps when they realised the shipping list included addresses not listed as US. 

6 hours ago, Chopsus said:

Shirley he’s not serious?

He is.  And don't call him Shirley.

4 hours ago, Mikebloke said:

Also, is it normal for a US product to be packaged and set for shipping then wait a week before its officially in the system, does it not just get picked up... The same day?

Not necessarily.  It's possible in this part of the world to generate a shipping label in advance of pick-up / dropoff with the shipping company where the tracking number on the label goes live, so to speak, as soon as the label is generated, not when the package is scanned in by the shipping company.  I've had items I've ordered before sit for a couple of weeks with a valid tracking number that shows them to be awaiting dropoff at <insert shipping company here> while the shipper gets around to making that happen.

4 hours ago, Mikebloke said:

Also, lol at all the foreign backers who will try and plug in the US power supply because that was clearly an afterthought they realised when they got the units. I wonder when they clocked on, perhaps when they realised the shipping list included addresses not listed as US. 

Something I've been wondering about along these lines: certain countries require that anything plugging into the mains for power be sold or imported as new with a plug that matches that country's requirements.  If the Ataribollocks(tm) doesn't meet those requirements, will it end up being held in Customs hell for noncompliance with the receiving country's electrical regulations?

Can't imagine that Fauxtari would have thought that far ahead.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Already happening; this thread serves that purpose nicely.

Someone could do a, "Today in taco hostory" type post. The only problem is what year do you draw from?

This is just some from 2017

Nice movie poster by @PlaysWithWolves

Good taco pooping out a VCS. By Atariboy2600. 

@The Historian  showing he has a sense of humor and thicker skin that those actually selling consoles.

And CPUWiz showing us a delicious looking taco.

So much fun to choose from. How many people have had fun playing the VCS they ordered?

• Haha 8

5 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Not necessarily.  It's possible in this part of the world to generate a shipping label in advance of pick-up / dropoff with the shipping company where the tracking number on the label goes live, so to speak, as soon as the label is generated, not when the package is scanned in by the shipping company.  I've had items I've ordered before sit for a couple of weeks with a valid tracking number that shows them to be awaiting dropoff at <insert shipping company here> while the shipper gets around to making that happen.

Something I've been wondering about along these lines: certain countries require that anything plugging into the mains for power be sold or imported as new with a plug that matches that country's requirements.  If the Ataribollocks(tm) doesn't meet those requirements, will it end up being held in Customs hell for noncompliance with the receiving country's electrical regulations?

Can't imagine that Fauxtari would have thought that far ahead.

Regarding first: yes, this is normal here for personal sellers. I do it for things like the boards I sell on here, or ebay sales - it sometimes takes a day or two to motivate myself to go out - but as a business you'd normally expect these things to be picked up for you. Oh well.

Regarding the second, this is an interesting question, obviously the sale of second hand goods it definitely wouldn't apply but for first, even thinking of the UK there is this...

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/36859658#Comment_36859658

(2) Paragraph (1) above shall not prohibit any person from supplying, offering to supply, agreeing to supply, exposing for supply or possessing for supply any appliance which does not comply with the requirements of that paragraph but which–

(a) is correctly fitted with a non–UK plug which complies with the safety provisions of IEC 884–1; and

(b) is fitted with a conversion plug which complies with the requirements of paragraph (3) below and which encloses the fitted non–UK plug and can only be removed by the use of a tool.

(original bolded text, I can't seem to take it off, meh) So it may well already be breaking UK law by not supplying a conversion plug. You also hope the US plug keeps to safety standards...! Generally, most appliances now that is intended to be sold abroad will have adjustable UK/European 3/2 pin settings, or come with a USB cable that you then supply the plug adapter yourself for (example: Retron 77 has the power usb cable, but not a way of actually plugging it into the mains). There is of course plenty of plug socket panels now designed with USB ports to plug in directly.

• Like 3

I don't see a need for a VCS subforum unless and until there is interest from the community here to use, modify, and mess with it. Otherwise, a couple of threads in Modern Consoles seems fine to me at least. So far there has been no indication by the vast majority of people here to do anything but sling turds at the console and the current company, so it doesn't seem likely that there will be enough interest. 

I've been consistent that my expectations have never been very high, nor do I personally care about anyone else's opinion ever on much of anything from the Internet. So far it seems possible to meet my personal use goals: Alt OS Windows boot for stylish and portable stream unit w/xSplit, and a fun way to get local and live builds of the two games I work for off a standard computer setup in-house, for things like planning meetings, showoffs, and live event use. That, plus Centipede. I will always play Centipede. I will also check out Antstream for a bit, and give the rest of it a shot for whatever it ends up being worth. I'll kick some indie game devs some money, mess around a bit with streaming, and potentially use it more for streaming retro depending on how it works out. Could be an easy way for me to get my RF to HDMI to Elgato chain into stream software regardless of the location of the retro thing. 

Atari released a 2ish minute promotional advertisement for the VCS today. It seems targeted toward a less informed audience about tech and video games. If the console can meet the promise of the ad, it'll be pretty great actually, but I certainly am not expecting it to. Per usual re: game hardware ads it's aspirational more than factual. Also see: The PS5. 

Edited by Mockduck
grammar
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

Also, I'm not posting specifics obv due to a proven history of some people here to track folks down and mess with them in real life, but I got my shipping info on Friday, and it'll allegedly be here later this week. 

I'm really tired of seeing you play this like you did nothing to bring it upon yourself.

Repeatedly being a jerk to people when you've put your actual name in your forum avatar: real smart.  What did you think would happen?

Here, perhaps this will be of help to you in the future: https://usa.kaspersky.com/resource-center/preemptive-safety/top-10-internet-safety-rules-and-what-not-to-do-online

Stop acting like you're some sort of martyr at the hands of Atariage users.  You were perfectly happy to dish it out until you were hoist on the petard of your own stupidity, at which point you started playing the victim card.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

EDIT: I'm not saying that you being doxxed and/or harassed was acceptable.  But I am saying that your attempts at glossing over your part in why it happened have grown beyond old.  Stop trying to bury history to make yourself look better.

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Atari, SA hatred: because Tramiel’s Atari of the 80s and early 90s was soooo great.  lol 

at least this atari actually somewhat listens to fans, like how they updated the VCS specs several times during development. And used a ryzen CPU at fans request.  Tramiel’s Atari flopped because they were ridiculously out of touch with the public and released 90 percent garbage games for 7800 and Jaguar.   

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, AlecRob said:

Atari, SA hatred: because Tramiel’s Atari of the 80s and early 90s was soooo great.  lol 

at least this atari actually somewhat listens to fans, like how they updated the VCS specs several times during development. And used a ryzen CPU at fans request.  Tramiel’s Atari flopped because they were ridiculously out of touch with the public and released 90 percent garbage games for 7800 and Jaguar.   

So - they didn't change the specs a few times because of:

1 - not knowing what they were doing

2 - losing 2 architects due to non-payment

3 - Still managed to release something in 2021 that was outdated in 2017

Congrats - this is a textbook definition of success!  Go Atari, they are so awesome because they use a logo that was created in 1972.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, x=usr(1536) said:

I'm really tired of seeing you play this like you did nothing to bring it upon yourself.

Repeatedly being a jerk to people when you've put your actual name in your forum avatar: real smart.  What did you think would happen?

Here, perhaps this will be of help to you in the future: https://usa.kaspersky.com/resource-center/preemptive-safety/top-10-internet-safety-rules-and-what-not-to-do-online

Stop acting like you're some sort of martyr at the hands of Atariage users.  You were perfectly happy to dish it out until you were hoist on the petard of your own stupidity, at which point you started playing the victim card.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

EDIT: I'm not saying that you being doxxed and/or harassed was acceptable.  But I am saying that your attempts at glossing over your part in why it happened have grown beyond old.  Stop trying to bury history to make yourself look better.

I lluv u merry christmas

• Confused 3

17 minutes ago, Mikebloke said:

Lol, Says pong. Displays Tennis. For the Magnavox Odyssey. Is this video on any kind of official vcs media or is it just on this random botaccount channel?

It's even earlier, the footage is of Ralph Baer demonstrating the brown box pre Odyssey release in 1969. 

The video itself does seem like it could be legit, but it is on some random youtube account with 18 subs and not the official VCS one, so who knows.

Edited by RedWolfJC

1 minute ago, RedWolfJC said:

It's even earlier, the footage is of Ralph Baer demonstrating the brown box pre Odyssey release in 1969. 

The video itself does seem like it could be legit, but it is on some random youtube account with 18 subs and not the official VCS one, so who knows.

oh yes you are right, I knew it was the brown box version, but for some reason thought it was one of the later post release videos Baer did but I think the one I'm thinking of was much later and in colour.

33 minutes ago, Mikebloke said:

Lol, Says pong. Displays Tennis. For the Magnavox Odyssey. Is this video on any kind of official vcs media or is it just on this random botaccount channel?

It was posted by our good friend PowerDubs, so hopefully it's just something he whipped up.

Because otherwise, even if I was firmly Team VCS, it's embarrassingly amateurish.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, racerx said:

It was posted by our good friend PowerDubs, so hopefully it's just something he whipped up.

Because otherwise, even if I was firmly Team VCS, it's embarrassingly amateurish.

Did he shill for their penny stock anywhere in the video?

• Haha 1

And Power Dubbs is not an employee of FArtari? He does it for love of it?

I have real problems believing he and the other 5 Shills aren’t being remunerated in some way ... they are too prolific to just be fans ... it has to be a bargain basement Social Media Team. 

Edited by Chopsus
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Chopsus said:

And Power Dubbs is not an employee of FArtari? He does it for love of it?

I have real problems believing he and the other 5 Shills aren’t being remunerated in some way ... they are too prolific to just be fans ... it has to be a bargain basement Social Media Team. 

Nah - he's just doing it "for his resume".  Same way as faux-Tari only took 3 million dollars to "build a community".

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

So - they didn't change the specs a few times because of:

1 - not knowing what they were doing

2 - losing 2 architects due to non-payment

3 - Still managed to release something in 2021 that was outdated in 2017

Congrats - this is a textbook definition of success!  Go Atari, they are so awesome because they use a logo that was created in 1972.

Yeah, they mainly changed the specs because that original APU drew 35W, and there's no way you could cool it in such a small case.

The newer one is really a sidegrade too. The GPU is faster but has less compute units, and gives slightly weaker overall benchmarks.

• Like 1