IGNORED

The Atari VCS Controversies Thread

Mockduck

2 hours ago, godslabrat said:

Since people apparently are receiving the VCS, I'm calling it officially shipped, and have updated my spreadsheet accordingly.

909833077_ScreenShot2020-12-15at7_25_35AM.thumb.png.c3159dfa58d80ab1d8959f0712b6045c.png

I still want to see the Polymega take off.  It's just too pricey, and their communication is so bad it makes the Atari intern seem like a highly trained professional.

• Like 3

Speaking of other consoles, SNK wants to remind everyone that they announced the NeoGeo 2 some time ago, and they say it's coming next year. No crowdfunding for it so far...

9 hours ago, frankodragon said:

Around 6:10 of this video, the guy orders Vault 2, and what a real mess that is.  He never got the software.

So that's the 2nd backer who received one who felt that it wasn't worth the money. 

Somewhere in the taco thread I remember calling this more than once: "We had not been able to test the change prior to shipping." QA is a pretty important part of making a product like this, but I guess to be fair, they didn't have any hardware in hand until mid-last year. The whole mess of button presses not working in game depending on how they are connected though...that should've been absolutely basic to get right before shipping, something that they've had plenty of time to work on, but I guess they're totally in-touch with what Atari fans want - a buggy beta unit that charges people twice while not giving them their software and maybe the controls work depending on how you connect! That's what you'd hoped for, right?

Edited by Shaggy the Atarian
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Speaking of other consoles, SNK wants to remind everyone that they announced the NeoGeo 2 some time ago, and they say it's coming next year. No crowdfunding for it so far...

The MVSX released very recently, and SNK put out two mini-consoles not that long ago (the tiny cabinet and the Arcade Stick Pro). They were too pricey for my tastes, but I wonder what a "bridge" between "passionate fans" and "console gaming enthusiasts" (false dichotomy?) even means.

• Like 2

Yeah, no clue. Best guess from that tweet is that they're looking to do some kind of eSports thing with it. I do know a game dev in Japan who says that he say the specs for this console last year, although I'll have to ask him for a follow-up - at the time he said it was less powerful than the PS5, but they have had time to change that. They are one company who has a lot of IP under their belt still, but they've also kept it alive with new releases. If this comes with new exclusive versions of The King of Fighters and Metal Slug, that'd be a strong start...but we'll see if they have a stronger hook than that.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Yeah, no clue. Best guess from that tweet is that they're looking to do some kind of eSports thing with it. I do know a game dev in Japan who says that he say the specs for this console last year, although I'll have to ask him for a follow-up - at the time he said it was less powerful than the PS5, but they have had time to change that. They are one company who has a lot of IP under their belt still, but they've also kept it alive with new releases. If this comes with new exclusive versions of The King of Fighters and Metal Slug, that'd be a strong start...but we'll see if they have a stronger hook than that.

I would be INCREDIBLY, indescribably bummed if the new Metal Slug was an exclusive to their new console. Ugh.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Bixler said:

I would be INCREDIBLY, indescribably bummed if the new Metal Slug was an exclusive to their new console. Ugh.

I wouldnt be bummed.  The more the merrier.  I would totally buy the next SNK system. cuz i’m a sucker.  I’ll put it right next to my atari VCS.

45 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

but I guess they're totally in-touch with what Atari fans want - a buggy beta unit that charges people twice while not giving them their software and maybe the controls work depending on how you connect! That's what you'd hoped for, right?

And this... is of course, the IDEAL device for moms to watch Netflix on!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Has anyone tried PC mode to see if it works yet? I mean, if they can't even get buttons to work right in their games, or get the store to function correctly, I'm sure it'll work without a hitch!

BTW, I'm also sure the VCS will be having this problem any time now...

image.png.52cd794619d8daa2e794383ebf33bee9.png

Edited by Shaggy the Atarian
added image
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, MrSeven said:

"This console is not worth the price point they're asking for it, if you're looking to relive the classics in a 'simple package'." is the complete quote.

And "simple classics" is not the only reason people purchased it.

The guy in the video says it isn't worth the price either. 

He also says it has potential. But you could also take that with the saying, "You could wish in one hand, crap in the other, and see which fills up first."

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

VCS supporters should really be enjoying themselves right about now!

unknown.png.18fee0f60a6c06c5d7927b26c065d13a.png

Or maybe not...

Ah yes, anyone sharing their honest opinion to say that it's a disappointing waste of their money is a troll.

Hasn't Andrew heard that Atari really loves and cares about their fans, more than any other iteration of Atari in history? That no news on his shipment is good news? He should be more grateful to continue waiting for weeks, not months! 

• Like 9
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, pacman000 said:

I'd say the R-Zone is less appealing. If I say an R-Zone & an Ataribox in a bin for $5, I'd take the Ataribox.

Yes. $5 sounds like a decent price. When will they be clearanced for $5?

More games on the r-zone.  And at least they work with the controller included.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

VCS supporters should really be enjoying themselves right about now!

unknown.png.18fee0f60a6c06c5d7927b26c065d13a.png

Or maybe not...

Yep that is the collector mindset (stupid collectors to be clear) IF that exact same device did not have an Atari logo, cheap woodgrain casing and the ATARI brand attached they would laugh their asses of and ridicule this device and call it out for what it is. The funniest part is when mentioning the negatives or the failures of this product being told by people half my age that I am an ATARI HATER! or I know nothing about Atari etc,. HAHAHAHA I fucking lived it, loved it, still have multiple original 2600 and compatible consoles in my "collection", the difference is I keep a grip on reality, I don't give a pass or act like a fanboy because a couple investors stuck an Atari branding on an overpriced and underwhelming Linux box.??
It's like 8 year old's claiming to be ATARI fans because they bought a T-shirt at hot topic except in this case it's more 20-30+ FANBOYS that will buy anything crapped out that claims to be the company currently holding the rights to Atari. They are the equivalent to those SNL parody Star Wars fans who buy everything related to sit on their shelves instead of it actually being played with and enjoyed. No doubt a few will even insist they now use this as their main console / computer and it is everything they were hoping for when in reality they are crying but they just cannot admit it. ?Already seen posts in groups and forums "SEE HATERS? IT SHIPPED!, IT'S REAL etc, etc," which is funny that is all they took away from complaints when in fact MOST people never denied it would eventually ship "something" but just that what will be received is nothing special. Congrats backers you got you show piece that is useless.

"ATARI" had no intention except to "BARELY" fulfill their obligation by the least amount. The initial project, funding etc, was done in hopes that they would be BOUGHT OUT BY A BIGGER COMPANY, this was practically admitted by the people behind it ,except that did not happen and so they can only barely fulfill the promise enough to keep them out of legal trouble and have no other interest in support or long term development. The blind Atari fanboys do not get this, they don't want to, that comment you posted by the guy "WHO CARES IT'S AN AWESOME CONSOLE is the perfect poster child for these morons.

• Like 6