IGNORED

The Atari VCS Controversies Thread

Mockduck

53 minutes ago, jamm said:

The Artificial Intelligence that creates most of the content in these forums.  You don't think all this crazy talk is coming from actual humans, do you?

I was being deliberatley obtuse by invoking Al - Alfred?  Artificial Intellegence is A.I.

Edited by Chopsus
yes I am doing it again
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jamm said:

The Artificial Intelligence that creates most of the content in these forums.  You don't think all this crazy talk is coming from actual humans, do you?

Look jamm, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over.

• Haha 10

2 hours ago, The Historian said:

Look jamm, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over.

[Response redacted due to NDA]

Edited by CPUWIZ
Double redacted
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

16 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Assuming that what you heard is correct, that opens up the ability for pretty much anyone to re-jig the moulds to accomodate the mounting points for a user-supplied RasPi, then knock them out at $39.99 all day long.  You'd basically have what Fauxtari should've done in the first place, only 3 years later and with far less half-assery and incompetence.

Far Less Half-Assery

Also the name of my new Ska Band!

• Haha 3

My VCS was supposed to arrive today, but the area got literally a foot of snow overnight, and pretty much all traffic is currently shut down while the plows do their thing. I blame Atari. That's what I'm supposed to do, right? :)

Anyway, reason I'm writing is I intend to update the OP in the near future to position it for more evergreen info post-launch. I'll probably flip the bottom half and the top half, keep the timeline as it has value imo, and give it a QA pass to see if the spec info and such is accurate with what got released. Despite the rough tone of much of this thread, I am totally down for doing the minor work to make this a resource for the next year or so or however long it is relevant. *voice in the back yells 'so two weeks then!'*

I have not been doing any posting about video reactions, unboxings, and the like. I'll post up a few official reviews if it gets a bite from a site like CNET, IGN, Gamespot, or Kotaku or something like that. Early word is as people here probably know that the home software is currently not good and the store is still getting its legs under it, but it does seem largely functional otherwise, especially in the realm of alt OS booting, and there has been some uptick in interest from a few places curious about what it could maybe do if it proves to be all right. 

Seems also possible that the big winner in all this might be Power A with their new 2600-style modern wireless joystick. Also rotates for things like Pong/Arkanoid/Warlords. I have seen a few comments about build quality, but I have also seen positive comments, and the controller itself appears to be universally compatible. Price point doesn't suck. They could end up selling this thing for like a decade, regardless of what happens. 

Reason I haven't been caring about video reactions on YouTube and the like is I just don't really get value from it. Skimmed a couple for a couple of minutes. It seems more about the debate than the product, and I dunno I care what some rando thinks. I'll know for myself soon enough. 

Assuming the snow causes an issue today, that means the next chance I'll have outside of Official Dad Duty through Christmas Eve to mess with the VCS is probably Christmas Day. If it arrives Friday I'll probably wrap it up and Santa will bring it. I have a 9 year old. Not like anyone cares what I think, either, but I do plan to do some videos and such, with a focus on info over opinion. 

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, MrZarniwoop said:

It's telling that the Atari VCS forum is not a part of the "Atari Systems" forums, where even the AtGames Flashbacks forum lives. :)

Still better than dead horse kicking taco threads full of people saying over and over that VCS isnt a real atari console 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, AlecRob said:

Still better than dead horse kicking taco threads full of people saying over and over that VCS isnt a real atari console 

Oh, it's a real Atari console.  Not sure that's anything to be proud of, but it is.

• Thanks 3

I'll pull out an old troll post (bonus points for the person that identifies the troll first) and modify it.

"The 5200 is nothing but a waste of solder and plastic."

Replace 5200 with VCS, for a current time troll post.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CPUWIZ said:

I'll pull out an old troll post (bonus points for the person that identifies the troll first) and modify it.

"The 5200 is nothing but a waste of solder and plastic."

Replace 5200 with VCS, for a current time troll post.

I'll see @frankodragon's 2006 thread and raise him three years to 2003:

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, MrZarniwoop said:

It's telling that the Atari VCS forum is not a part of the "Atari Systems" forums, where even the AtGames Flashbacks forum lives. :)

I had noticed that as well. There are multiple Atari owners represented in the release of those consoles that section so perhaps it would be more fitting there? Just cause they are not a favorable owner of Atari doesn't mean they are not (sadly) included in the laundry list of companies that have had that name attached to their machines. Atari in name alone is still Atari, like it or not. I myself do not.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Mockduck said:

My VCS was supposed to arrive today, but the area got literally a foot of snow overnight, and pretty much all traffic is currently shut down while the plows do their thing. I blame Atari. That's what I'm supposed to do, right? :)

Anyway, reason I'm writing is I intend to update the OP in the near future to position it for more evergreen info post-launch. I'll probably flip the bottom half and the top half, keep the timeline as it has value imo, and give it a QA pass to see if the spec info and such is accurate with what got released. Despite the rough tone of much of this thread, I am totally down for doing the minor work to make this a resource for the next year or so or however long it is relevant. *voice in the back yells 'so two weeks then!'*

I have not been doing any posting about video reactions, unboxings, and the like. I'll post up a few official reviews if it gets a bite from a site like CNET, IGN, Gamespot, or Kotaku or something like that. Early word is as people here probably know that the home software is currently not good and the store is still getting its legs under it, but it does seem largely functional otherwise, especially in the realm of alt OS booting, and there has been some uptick in interest from a few places curious about what it could maybe do if it proves to be all right. 

Seems also possible that the big winner in all this might be Power A with their new 2600-style modern wireless joystick. Also rotates for things like Pong/Arkanoid/Warlords. I have seen a few comments about build quality, but I have also seen positive comments, and the controller itself appears to be universally compatible. Price point doesn't suck. They could end up selling this thing for like a decade, regardless of what happens. 

Reason I haven't been caring about video reactions on YouTube and the like is I just don't really get value from it. Skimmed a couple for a couple of minutes. It seems more about the debate than the product, and I dunno I care what some rando thinks. I'll know for myself soon enough. 

Assuming the snow causes an issue today, that means the next chance I'll have outside of Official Dad Duty through Christmas Eve to mess with the VCS is probably Christmas Day. If it arrives Friday I'll probably wrap it up and Santa will bring it. I have a 9 year old. Not like anyone cares what I think, either, but I do plan to do some videos and such, with a focus on info over opinion. 

Once you do get it, can you do video breakdowns, review, etc? I've seen one video on YouTube who said it has potential.

31 minutes ago, Shawn said:

I had noticed that as well. There are multiple Atari owners represented in the release of those consoles that section so perhaps it would be more fitting there? Just cause they are not a favorable owner of Atari doesn't mean they are not (sadly) included in the laundry list of companies that have had that name attached to their machines. Atari in name alone is still Atari, like it or not. I myself do not.

I always argue that if the Lynx is an Atari system, then so is the VCS.