IGNORED

The Atari VCS Controversies Thread

Mockduck

Initial impressions are very positive; I've been having fun messing with the store, apps, games, and environment. I'll do a formal review of sorts in the future when time permits and I feel like it, probably after the holidays as I really am busy this week and next. 

I will say I am getting used to the classic controller. My initial impression is it feels a bit loose and floppy, although it isn't actually floppy and centers back just fine. I tend to be a very heavy-handed gamer, which is a me problem as I've destroyed thumb sticks and already gone through two Switch controllers. Using a lighter touch I have found the Classic Controller to be excellent and responsive. I think people into a lighter touch and highly responsive controller will love it; my jury is out yet, but it certainly is an excellent controller overall. 

Nice and responsive, although obviously at this point it isn't even being moderately taxed due to what I'm doing. But, for everything on the Store, it's working good, streaming video well, etc. Nice that Discord is there as I often need a third or fourth screen Discord up when I'm doing stuff. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mockduck said:

I've got the VCS booted and good to go. Interestingly, I have not had a problem using my classic joystick with the home screen, so it isn't clear to me why they are saying you need to use a keyboard and mouse. Setup didn't go fine, exactly, in that updating to the day one OS patch caused a problem. I was able to load up the Atari OS image file as provided by Atari and flash the bios easily with a USB drive. Sounds a bit scary for the less tech minded, but it's really nothing more than downloading a file onto a USB drive and then booting the VCS with a keyboard attached and the escape key pressed. 

Anyway, it worked fine, and I'm now on the home menu. Here is the full list of things available with their price in the Atari VCS Store:

Games: 

Sigi - A Fart for Melusina 4.99
Mutazione - 19.99
Spear Master - 9.99
Missile Command: Recharged (Free)
Unsung Warriors - Prologue (Free)
Guntech - 24.99
Mad Age & This Guy - 3.99
Atari VCS Vault 2 - 4.99

Apps:

Discord
Plex
Netflix
Disney+
Twitch
Hulu
HBO Max
Prime Video
VRV
YouTube

VCS Companion
Chrome
PC Mode

###

Given that Atari is passing out the Atari OS image file without concern, I'm gonna say it isn't an issue for it being unencrypted, but I'm no lawyer. 

Did it not have Thrustlander? Of all the titles I've seen for the VCS that has the most "feel" of a classic Atari game. That and Spear Master. I've had the Missile Command update for a while so I'm not counting that as a new one.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Any issues in purchasing anything as some users have reported (or not tried that yet)?

Uhh Okthen GIF - Uhh Okthen Nvm GIFs

Yeah, that game...woof. I get it, something for everyone and there were plenty of racy or vulgar games for the 2600. But the prime question- did they launch the 2600 with those games? It'd be like including Custer's Revenge instead of Combat.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, TACODON said:

I think Atari isn't deleting things on IGG anymore. Perhaps IGG finally pulled their hands out of their speaker pants and said stop that?

There was some spicy assplay comments at one point... have they not been deleted?

That Jessie girl/boy is a real piece of work going by his/her comments

Edited by Chopsus
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, JeffVav said:

Maybe for Netflix etc.?

Gnite all but before: yes. As soon as netflix youtube discord booted i needed a mouse and keyboard. Regular home screen and store games classic has been all good.

I have not tried the companion app. It is on the list.

Store has been spotty with some disconnects when trying to resolve a navigation. Purchased two games without major issue though. 

Someone somewhere asked if native apps or just browser. Unclear but discord is browser. 

• Like 4

I do hope everyone knows that as much as I don't like this iteration of Atari and some of the things that they've done, or this "un" console, or the fact that they named it after my Favorite Console for no good reason...That I've never had a problem with any of the backers, especially the ones around here.  If you guys like it, that's fine,  and I'm not telling you how to spend your hard earned money.  I'd bet if you check out other areas of AtariAge, you'd probably see we're not so bad. 

• Like 8

35 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

I do hope everyone knows that as much as I don't like this iteration of Atari and some of the things that they've done, or this "un" console, or the fact that they named it after my Favorite Console for no good reason...That I've never had a problem with any of the backers, especially the ones around here.  If you guys like it, that's fine,  and I'm not telling you how to spend your hard earned money.  I'd bet if you check out other areas of AtariAge, you'd probably see we're not so bad. 

I agree. Also, the most embarassing thing about the whole roll out of this thing has zero to do with the backers, and a little to do with Atari. To me, the most ridiculous development is how woefully misinformed many YouTube gaming pundits are on this thing. Couple days ago I was watching a popular channel give their "hot take" review where they got the price, specs, release history, and available games wrong all in a span of 3 sentences. You can pan a product and give critical analysis of why it sucks, but for crying out loud please do a little research. I'm not saying this thing will revolutionize the gaming world, but it's easy to learn about and there is still a place for such a product on the market. 

• Like 5

When looking at an email receipt for my Store orders from last night I notice there's a link to mybigcommerce in it. Looks like they are using that eStore platform to drive the VCS Store. It's one of many in the field, similar to Xolla or Digital River, and not surprising or anything. Just thought I'd put the info here. So, they probably contracted with mybigcommerce for the store back-end, and (probably) a payment processor as well. Pretty standard. However, it does mean that some of the VCS Store issues could be related to an issue with their ecommerce solution or payment processor. 

• Like 1

So VCS’s are now being shipped with the COVID Vaccine?  Won’t the sub zero temperature damage it? (or is this yet another teenage exaggeration of reality?)

Chopsus Maximus 23 hours ago

@Atari, will all backers have their consoles shipped by Christmas? Your last post seemed to indicate not if the Fulfillment Center is off on the 1st?

8  3

Atari 8 hours ago
PROJECT OWNER
We hope so, but there's definitely a backlog on the loading dock. Fulfillment picks and packs, but the carriers don't always pick up everything there because they are also obliged to reserve capacity for vaccine and other rush shipments. Mentioning the 1st was just in response to the question about closure days and doesn't reflect any additional knowledge either way.
Edited by Chopsus
  • Like 1

Unclear to me what this will mean practically, but seems relevant to this thread: 

http://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2020/12/22/2149114/0/en/Successful-completion-of-Atari-s-private-placement-to-accelerate-development-of-the-Atari-VCS-as-well-as-new-video-game-partnerships.html

5.81 million Euros from 3 new investors:

Successful completion of Atari’s private placement to accelerate development of the Atari VCS as well as new video game partnerships

With the funds raised, Atari will accelerate the development of the Atari VCS in order to reach its run-rate production rhythm, currently planned for the first quarter of 2021, earlier, notably by consolidating its supplies of critical components, and to facilitate the ramp up of the distribution networks in the United States and internationally. Furthermore, Atari will strengthen its video game production efforts with development partners, in particular for indie PC games, which will also be available on the Atari VCS.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chopsus said:

but the carriers don't always pick up everything there because they are also obliged to reserve capacity for vaccine and other rush shipments. 

This is actually a legitimate excuse. Many years ago, I needed to ship something and so I contacted several carriers. They were contracted to reserve capacity for their large, regular customers "just in case", and so they were unable/unwilling to handle my small, one-off job even though they were not busy at the moment. I was surprised to discover how the industry works. 

• Like 1